We booked the Balgownie for 2 nights to celebrate our wedding anniversary having read a number of good reviews and seen the property on a travel show. We booked the 2 night package wihich included breakfast and 3 bottles of wine. The website advertised a meal would be included if staying on the Friday night, however, when I booked I was told this was not valid on a Friday or Saturday night, the website was wrong!
Our first problem was encountered in the Restaurant on the Friday evening, we booked the table for 8pm. Upon arrival we were told 'everyone had arrived at once' and could we take a seat with the wine list. We were happy to wait with a glass of wine, 15 mins later the waitress came back and said our table was ready - we had not been offered a glass of wine.
Ordered our food, asked for some bread only to be told they had run out and some more had been put on, 10 mins later we saw a table next to us offered bread however, they did not come over to us. The main meals arrived and I had the 12 hour slow cooked steak, it was very fatty and certainly didn't cut as if it had been cooking for 12 hours. Our main meals were taken away and that was it, we weren't offered dessert or coffee so we paid our bill and left.
We went to reception and shared our concerns, details were taken and we were told they would be passed onto the Manager - that was the last we heard of it.
Saturday afternoon my husband tried to book a table in the Restaurant only to be told it was fully booked, we could ring a neighbouring winery to see if they could accommodate us! As we were hotel residents I expected to get a table and didn't wish to drive or hire a taxi to visit somewhere else. Eventually they booked us in their Restaurant and we had fabulous service and amazing food, but we did note that there were a least 12 tables laid with no-one sitting at them!
One other problem encountered when we complained about fellow guests music Reception did try to contact the other guests to turn it down however, as it was so load they couldn't hear the door bell or telephone ringing.
As we checked out we were asked if we enjoyed our stay, at no time did the Manager contact us to discuss our problems or offer an apology.
We were disappointed, this is not a cheap hotel and we expected a better standard of service and attention.
If you do visit this hotel, our main suggestion is to book a meal if you want to eat in the Restaurant.
- Official Description (provided by the hotel):
- Balgownie Estate Vineyard Resort & Spa is ideally located in the heart of the Yarra Valley less than 1hr from Melbourne CBD & Airport. Boasting contemporary first class spa suite accommodation with spectacular views across the valley, Rae’s Restaurant, Cellar Door with complimentary wine tasting 7 days, Health Club, Natskin Spa Retreat, modern conferencing and leisure facilities plus more! Whenever you visit, you are guaranteed a memorable stay in the heart of Victorian wine country. ... more less
- Reservation Options:
- TripAdvisor is proud to partner with Booking.com, Expedia, ACCOR, Travelocity, Tingo, BookingOdigeoWL, Hotels.com, Venere, Agoda and Otel so you can book your Balgownie Estate Vineyard Resort & Spa reservations with confidence. We help millions of travelers each month to find the perfect hotel for both vacation and business trips, always with the best discounts and special offers.
- Also Known As:
- Balgownie Estate Vineyard Resort And Spa
- Balgownie Estate Vineyard Hotel Yarra Glen
- Balgownie Vineyard Retreat Hotel
- Balgownie Vineyard Retreat Resort
- Balgownie Estate Vineyard Resort & Spa Yarra Glen, Yarra Valley, Australia