“Ideal getaway location” 4 of 5 stars
Review of Balgownie Estate Vineyard Resort & Spa

You added Balgownie Estate Vineyard Resort & Spa to your Saves list
Balgownie Estate Vineyard Resort & Spa
4.5 of 5 Resort   |   1309 Melba Highway & Gulf Road, Yarra Glen, Victoria 3775, Australia   |
Ranked #1 of 4 Hotels in Yarra Glen

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (97)
4 of 5 stars Reviewed January 11, 2013

Great place to stay if ur wanting to relax in the Yarravalley. Lovely views from the 2nd story rooms. Great spa in the room I was in with views out the window. Bed was comfy, staff were friendly, Restraunt food was beautiful as was the wine. The only thing that let our stay down was the cleanliness. The spa was still dirty as was the kitchen bench... A lot of ants in the room. Would still go back though. :)

• Stayed January 2013
Christchurch, New Zealand
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 10, 2013

The bed was blissful, staff friendly and helpful particularly those in the restaurant. The food was beautiful. Really enjoyed the pool facilities. A great easy get-away so close to Melbourne. Probably should have stayed longer to enjoy the surrounding vineyards. Would definitely recommend it as a special treat for yourself.

• Stayed January 2013, traveled as a couple
Brisbane, Australia
4 of 5 stars Reviewed January 8, 2013

My husband and I stayed at this resort for 4 nights over Christmas 2012. The one bedroom accommodation was excellent with a beautiful view of the Yarra Valley. Staff were professional and friendly. I will definitely stay there and also recommend this place to my friends.

Room Tip: Rooms facing the valley have spectacular views. The restaurant is excellent and the surroundings is...
  • Stayed December 2012, traveled as a couple
Melbourne, Australia
2 of 5 stars Reviewed January 5, 2013

We confirmed the check in time a couple of days prior to arriving. They advised this was at 2pm however we did not arrive until 3:10pm and only one of the 2 rooms were ready. The 2 rooms were also booked at the same time however we were located in completely different buildings quiet a distance from each other.

For one of the rooms we requested 2 single beds but we got a queen instead (we did contact reception and this was promptly fixed) Both the rooms had all sorts of bugs and to our disappointment they did not offer any sort of concierge to carry our bags (mind you on this day it was 39deg)

We went the the cafe/rest for coffee & all the couch areas each had groups on them and we asked if we could sit on the nearby restaurant tables (about 3metres away) and she advise they were being set for dinner so we could not. Instead we had to uncomfortably squeeze in with other guests on the couches.

Breakfast was included with our package which was great as we had the choice of the cold buffet and the hot a la carte. The buffet was replenished, they had a good range of cereals, breads/danishes, fruit & juices. The wait staff were very pleasant & accommodating.

I have stayed at many Accor properties and had always been happy however this is one I won't be returning to.

Room Tip: Don't go for a standard room as the are very small & pokey however if you don't intend o...
  • Stayed January 2013, traveled with family
Melbourne, Australia
2 of 5 stars Reviewed January 5, 2013 via mobile

My fiancé took me here for my birthday (birthday was in November but travelled in January ) . I had read a lot of reviews , some good, some bad but arrived with a positive attitude towards the property.

The Good:
- Had an on site restaurant which was deliciouse we chose to have the 3 courses for $70 no complaints on any of our meals except our desert which was a tasting platter one of the deserts was frozen and was hard!!!!!! Wine was good as was service , until the end when we were forgotten about and getting the bill was a task.

- Room was nice and air con was on when we arrived on a 42 degree day. We kept the air con on the whole time we were there and it did not have any problems keeping us cool.

- Toiletries were really nice.

The not so good:

- check in was slow and unorganized , maybe we just arrived at a busy time . Check in staff were talking / joking amongst them self a lot and were fumbling about each other searching for keys etc.

- THE BUGS !!!!! Our room was covered in dead bugs , I counted at least 5 dead flys next to the window and 5 dead Beatles behind the toilet door. Not only was there dead bugs our room was filled with bugs that were alive and some dying.... No windows were open so I'm not sure how they were getting in. I had bugs flying at my face in bed (I'm quite afraid of bugs) , dying at my feet while watching tv. I was to scared to drink the glass of water I had next to my bed in case they were in there. I was to afraid to walk on the carpet without shoes in case I stood on something.

- we were only given one champagne glass ( not a big deal ) just walked down to reception and grabbed another

- we were not provided with any towels, housekeeper must of been in a rush. Called reception and they were bought straight away.

Other things to note, there was an indoor Pool which was a nice temperature but had a strong chlorine smell. The view, well there wasn't much of one. I was expecting to be overlooking a vineyard but all rooms overlook a grass area and tennis court (and a gravel car park).

Check out was quick and semi easy. We were not asked how our stay was either.
I enjoyed our stay but wouldn't stay again. How they can charge so much is beyond me.

If you are staying in the area you must have lunch and domaine Chandon AMAZING!!!!

Stayed January 2013

Been to Balgownie Estate Vineyard Resort & Spa? Share your experiences!