“Once in a lifetime experience” 5 of 5 stars

Improve this listing
Ranked #1 of 8 Attractions in Sorrento
Type: Adventure
More attraction details
Owner description: For most of us, swimming with dolphins is a rare and magical experience, so who better to help you connect with these magnificent creatures than the people who've been making the introductions in Port Phillip Bay the longest? The Muir family established Polperro Dolphin Swims in 1986. Named after their classic, lovingly maintained boat, which is 25 years young, Polperro has led the bay in environmentally responsible dolphin interactions. Judy Muir in particular has been tirelessly active in establishing and improving legislation controlling human interaction with wild marine animals, including dolphins.That's why passengers can't swim up to the bay's bottlenose dolphins, but rather hang on to long ropes trailing from the Polperro's stern, waiting for these often curious creatures to come to them. The rope, and the crew's careful training and supervision of passengers, mean that even non-swimmers can enjoy this exciting experience. People who are initially very timid and reticent about getting in the water leave enchanted by the experience. The Polperro departs from Sorrento pier twice daily from October to April. Passenger numbers are strictly limited so everyone has ample opportunity to get wet, or watch dolphins at play from the deck. Reef and seal swims are often part of Polperro trips as well. These are also revelatory experiences, even for most locals, as the bay's rich aquatic life is a surprisingly well-kept secret. All gear, including wetsuits and snorkels, are provided, and the Polperro has change areas below deck. On chilly days her saloon cabin is warmly welcoming, as is the complimentary tea, coffee, hot chocolate and delicious scones, freshly baked on board. They're the cherry on top of an inspiring, memorable experience, which saw Polperro enter the Victorian Tourism Awards Hall of Fame in 2001, after winning the environmental tourism category three years running.
Manchester, UK
8 attraction reviews
“Once in a lifetime experience”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed April 12, 2014 via mobile

I cannot praise this enough. My sister & I went on this whilst on holiday. The team were really friendly and welcoming and their love and enthusiasm of dolphins and seals was very evident. were supportive of nervous swimmers like myself. Only a limited number are allowed in the water at one time and we were fortunate to be in a relatively small group so all could go in together. It was freezing and completely took your breath away but the look through you snorkel mask and you lost your breath by seeing dolphins swimming below. I am a really nervous swimmer when out of my depth but felt supported the whole time and even when I had reached my limit the team 'arranged' for the dolphins to ride the bow of the boat which I was encouraged to lie down and and watch them ride (one dolphin had a extremely colourful fish caught in its mouth) amazing sight. Then into china mans hat? and the seals loads of them young and old basking on the hut.
The team of skipper Troy, Jess and Ben (I hope I have that right!) once again made my trip as much as I wanted to swim out to the seals my nervousness kicked in. Ben?.?. Sorry again if that's wrong- swam out with my and literally held my hand out to the seals, pointed out young seals and older ones alike and never once made me feel ridiculous that I needed that support. He helped me back when I was ready. My experience was beyond amazing - my sister had a fab time too - without needing her hand held!! My advice - do this it will be an experience you never forget with a team whose enthusiasm for there 'jobs' is infectious.

Visited December 2013

Mornington, Australia
“Brilliant day out”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed April 9, 2014

Just had the most fantastic day out with two of my daughters (10 & 11 yo) and a friend on the mighty vessel Polperro. We swam with seals and alongside dolphins. An amazing day was had by all ~ the crew were brilliant, organised, knowledgeable, friendly and made sure everyone on board had the best experience possible. Scones weren't bad either ;) I'll be back for sure!

Visited April 2014
Melbourne, Australia
4 attraction reviews
“Great day on the Bay”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed April 6, 2014

Did a swim with the dolphins with Polperro today. The crew (Troy, Ben, Jess & Theo) are sensational. They are all so passionate about what they do, where they work and the environment in general. They are all knowledgeable, friendly, helpful and love what they do. They also bake the best date scones and serve them with lashings of butter!!
Can highly recommend this trip. Today we had amazing dolphin action, but even when you don't, the seals are great fun!

Visited April 2014
Adelaide, Australia
“Amazing crew”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed March 26, 2014

I had a wonderful 3 + hours on the dolphin cruise on Polperro on Sunday last weekend. The crew were absolutely fantastic...so welcoming, patient, knowledgeable and passionate about the ecololgy and environment in Port Phillip Bay. Their concern for the welfare of the dolphins and seals in the bay was so inspiring. Unfortunately we didn't see any dolphins...and not for want of trying on the part of Polperro's crew...they were still trying to spot some right until the end of the cruise and even did an extra quick lap at the last minute. But we did see plenty of seals and I even got brave enough to put my head underwater :-) which was a BIG deal for me. Jess was fantastic with teaching me how to stay upright in the water...I kept ending up with my legs wanting to come over my head...hahaha...but she soon sorted out that problem. Thank you so much to everyone at Polperro dolphin Cruises for making my 60th birthday present from my daughter such an amazing experience...and thank you Lara for giving me the gift voucher...wish you had been there with me to enjoy the experience.

Visited March 2014
Stuttgart, Germany
4 attraction reviews
“Nice experience”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed March 23, 2014

It was a nice experience to swim with seals. They are so cute. We saw a plenty of them really close. It was fun! Unfortunately we didn't see the dolphins. Bad luck!

Visited February 2014