“Lovely grounds but rooms underwhelming” 4 of 5 stars
Review of Lindenderry at Red Hill

You added Lindenderry at Red Hill to your Saves list
Lindenderry at Red Hill
4.5 of 5 Resort   |   142 Arthurs Seat Road, Red Hill, Victoria 3927, Australia   |
Ranked #1 of 1 Hotels in Red Hill
melbourne
“Lovely grounds but rooms underwhelming”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed March 15, 2013 via mobile

We stayed here for a wedding which was being held at the estate in one of their courtyard rooms ($250/night). Colleagues of mine had splurged on the more deluxe room, however, even though we had made the booking together our rooms were not adjacent and one of the two who had paid for the more expensive room was placed in a smaller room. To their credit, staff only charged the lesser fee when told of the mix up, but we were unfortunately not able to move rooms.
Our room was neat and well appointed, but nothing too special. We were located next to the kitchen, so we looked out into their clean up area and it got a bit noisy at times, but nothing too drastic. Another niggle was that our toilet did not flush using the half-flush.
The breakfast buffet was very good, with a good choice of cold and hot food. I particularly liked the stewed fruits and the fruit salad. Judging by some of the other reviews on here, I am unsure whether this was a special buffef for the wedding guests-in any case, it was lovely.

• Stayed March 2013
Emma B, General Manager at Lindenderry at Red Hill, responded to this review, March 19, 2013
Dear snuff82Melbourne,
Thank you for your review.
I am sorry our stay did not met expectations - this is most disappointing to read.
I am pleased you enjoyed your stay and wedding here with us, and apologise for the room mix up.

We hope to welcome you back in the near future.
Regards,
Emma

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (56)
5 of 5 stars Reviewed March 6, 2013

I ate here with my partner last Sunday night, the restaurant was beautiful, very rustic and charming with flowers on each table! The service was very attentive and friendly, the female waitress even taking the time to get us a map and show us some local attractions we should visit during our stay, how charming. I had the duck and my partner had the beef, both meals were delicious. We were made to feel very special, what a wonderful memorable dining experience, we will be back!

Stayed March 2013, traveled as a couple
Dear Laura C,
Thank you for your kind review.
I am glad you enjoyed your dining experience here at Lindenderry.
We look forward to welcoming you back in the near future for another wonderful experience.
Regards,
Emma
3 of 5 stars Reviewed February 24, 2013

Have been working our way around Red Hill restaurants and thought we would try Lindenderry. Lovely location and quite surprisingly large grounds. The entrance to the restaurant looked tired.

Booked for 7pm and found we were the only diners. The service was fine however the mains were a bit confused. The puree fought with the lamb rump and eggplant, the sauce / glaze on the beef was just too rich and sticky. A stand out oops was the pommes frites which turned out to be undercooked shoestring fries sprinkled with carraway seeds. Maybe a quiet Sunday night but we paid Saturday night prices.
Next.......

• Stayed February 2013, traveled as a couple
1 of 5 stars Reviewed February 9, 2013

Hmmmmm.....disappointed, underwhelmed, average are a few words that come to mind.
The lindenderry is located in the beautiful red hill countryside. A winding country driveway snakes its way through the properties vineyards providing a most delightful arrival. Reception staff who greeted me were friendly and I was excited that I had made the right choice for my fifth wedding anniversary. But alas that was as good as it got.
I went to my car to grab my bags and then walked to my room. Each door creaked on the way , the hallway carpet (whilst clean) was peaking in places. I entered my room with the now familiar creak and clunk. I was greeted with a largish room with furnishings and fit out clearly showing its age.
The bathrooms were so old. Plastic toilets, tired old bath and basin and cheap fixtures throughout. Apricot laminate anyone? Bed did not even have a bed head. The floral doona cover just showing that nothing has been updated or improved in over 30 years. Mattress was ordinary and the wheels under the bed clearly visible. Old bar fridge set in crap old joinery. Old iron, ancient hair dryer, no slippers, robes had holes in them and didn't match.
Got to breakfast, hot food for the buffet wasn't out yet. Danishes and croissants were yum. Then out came the hot food. Wow this should be fresh I thought. Eggs dry and ordinary, sausages had surely been warmed up from the day before (they were dry and split) and mushrooms were burnt. We're not offered a proper coffee (even though the manager had managed to make herself one when we arrived). Quite a let down.
When asked how our stay was we said "just not up to the standard we would expect for the price". "Excellent" she said. Ah, no lindenderry. That is not excellent. Charging designer hotel prices for substandard motel room accommodation is just not acceptable.

Room Tip: Choose another hotel!
  • Stayed February 2013, traveled as a couple
Hobart, Australia
4 of 5 stars Reviewed January 23, 2013

We booked through a travel website and were upgraded to a vineyard room which was bright, light and sunny. The country style decor suited the external sweeping gardens and vineyard. The bed was comfortable and although we didn't avail ourselves of the offer there was a choice of pillows if you wanted.
The spa and sauna were clean and well presented, looking out on both sides to courtyards. Mather staff were helpful and pleasant. Sadly we arrived too late for the complimentary afternoon tea that's served between 2 and 4pm -'next time we'll get there earlier.
Well worth the visit and we'd return at that price. My only criticism is that a week later I'm still waiting the return of my iPad charger I left in our room - fingers crossed.

Room Tip: The vineyard rooms are light and bright,mooning onto a shared balcony.
  • Stayed January 2013, traveled as a couple
4 of 5 stars Reviewed January 7, 2013

I was really impressed when I called to check on a room advertised on a travel website, and I was offered a larger suite for the same price. It's nice to see my business is important to them! We went for our anniversary, and although we had lunch at a 2 chef hat restaurant, we enjoyed our dinner at Lindenberry more! It was delicious! The room was spacious and bathrooms new. We were able to access the gardens from our room which I loved. The only criticism that I can make is that the pool is small and not welcoming. Would be a fantastic hotel if the pool was nice.

• Stayed December 2012
Templestowe, Australia
3 of 5 stars Reviewed November 29, 2012

Recently took a mid week break at Lindenderry and must say I was was a bit underwhelmed.
Rooms are dated and in need of upgrade.
There was only 1 other couple staying and staff seemed a bit disinterested.
We looked for a coffee in the restaurant during the mid afternoon after being directed there by front counter staff only to be told "we are closed for set up for dinner".
Dinner was great that evening but there were only 2 couples in the restaurant. Great service that night.
felt it was a pity about the attitude we encountered earlier.
Breakfast next day again just 2 couples in the hotel so staff were bored, we were offered continental breakfast " OH and we could do bacon and eggs." We didn't bother.
Views were fabulous and its a pity that the lack lustre attitude disappointed.

• Stayed November 2012, traveled as a couple

Been to Lindenderry at Red Hill? Share your experiences!