“Utterly charming country house on the Bellarine peninsula” 5 of 5 stars
Review of Pelican Sands

You added Pelican Sands to your Saves list
Pelican Sands
4.0 of 5 Bed and Breakfast   |   149 Pt Richards Road, Portarlington, Victoria 3223, Australia   |
Special Offer
Complimentary bottle of wine
Melbourne
“Utterly charming country house on the Bellarine peninsula”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed April 15, 2014

Pelican Sands is a large, two-storey country house a short distance form the centre of Portarlington. There are 5 rooms, each with private facilities and each having a different theme. We stayed in the Romance Room, which has a very comfortable brass bed and lovely bathroom with spa and shower. The house is of very high quality and beautifully decorated with many small touches that optimise the ambience of each themed room and the public areas of the house. Upstairs there is a lovely, large modern kitchen, very comfortable and tastefully decorated lounge with closed combustion heater. Each room is individually reverse cycle air-conditioned as well for comfort in hot or cold weather. There are flat screen TVs upstairs and in each room, and a copious supply of DVDs. The owners are very welcoming and friendly and only live a few doors away if anything needs attention. We could not fault this house and had a very enjoyable and relaxing stay.

Room Tip: The Romance room is one of the largest, has a spa, and a nice view from the front of the house.
  • Stayed April 2014, traveled as a couple

Families
Business
Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (9)
5 of 5 stars Reviewed April 9, 2014 via mobile

After my third stay at Pelican Sands I wanted to let others know of this little gem. My partner and I enjoyed an easy drive to Portarlington and have been warmly welcomed by Susan upon our arrival each stay.

This Victorian house with it's old world charm is so quaint and the themed rooms add to its splendor. Inside is clean and delightful with such detail in every area. There is a common area upstairs where you can enjoy the view and a drink with friends or enjoy the garden while sitting under the gazebo. I've stayed at Pelican Sands during the heat of Summer as well as Autumn and I always enjoy my time in Portarlington, whether it be on the beach, out fishing or dining at the many restaurants. There is so much to do and it's always great to return to a relaxing spa after a day full of fun. The rooms are private and I have always slept extremely well.

I always feel enthused waking up at the beach and upon entering upstairs for a delicious breakfast, we are cheerfully greeted by the hosts Susan and Mick. They have a way of making their guests feel instantly at ease. The home cooked breakfast is delicious and the fruit salad is amazing.
A definite must for a relaxing weekend away!

• Stayed April 2014
Melbourne, Australia
3 of 5 stars Reviewed April 3, 2014 via mobile

Dear Diary,
Stayed on a groupon voucher for two nights. The house is easy to miss as it looks like the other houses along the street. There is a sign at the front but that can also be missed especially at night.

Checked in by Susan who was nice and showed us around the double storey weatherboard house. We stayed in the Indira room which was the size of a standard main bedroom decorated with artefacts specific to the theme. For us, it was India. The room has a huge ensuite and obviously newly renovated.

What struck me in the bathroom was that the bar fridge was placed near the toilet which I thought was very unhygienic so I moved it away placing the room divider in between toilet and fridge.

The DVD collection in the room needs updating.

Because the room sits below the kitchen and near the stairs there is no sleeping in. The floorboards though lovely, creaked in parts and added to the wake up call. Being at the back of the hallway but near the office/shop and back door meant we had guests or hosts walking up and down the hallway keeping us awake or having to turn the TV up.

The neighbours over the fence were very noisy, swearing and revving their cars in the morning, to the growls of their dogs.

Best to choose a room on the driveway side and towards the front of the house.

Met Mick at breakfast and he was just lovely - genuinely friendly. Felt at ease talking to him. He made the cooked breakfast that was on offer at an extra charge.

Breakfast was continental and served by Susan. Toasts, cereal, yoghurt, juice and coffee.

Overall it was a nice stay. Nothing stood out for me to return, though.

Stayed March 2014
Barwite, Australia
3 of 5 stars Reviewed March 22, 2014

We stayed at the pelican sands b& b last month on a groupon deal. It wasn't clear to us about the conditions for this deal. The door in our room stuck, the fan only run on high, and the continental brekky was a bit jaded with the help yourself food available. No bottle of wine, cooked breakfast etc. it's an interesting house, restored to its era. I wouldn't recommend it unless your looking for an interesting experience. Room was clean, so no problems there....just lacked sparkle. Ok for the price, but have stayed in better.

Room Tip: Read the conditions!
  • Stayed March 2014, traveled as a couple
5 of 5 stars Reviewed March 14, 2014 via mobile

We loved the pelican sands! It was lovely and clean, the room are nicely decorated and the breakfast was really nice.
We got great recommendations for eating out and came back to a relaxing time in our room with the spa and drinks. Couldn't recommend more highly, it was a fabulous stay!

Stayed February 2014, traveled as a couple
Melbourne, Australia
4 of 5 stars Reviewed November 27, 2013

Having read all the glowing reviews about this B&B my husband and I decided to buy one of the midweek deals. We stayed for 2 nights during Melbourne Cup week.
The place was just as described by many earlier reviewers. We stayed in the French themed room upstairs. Nice room, no spa but had little balcony. I would suggest maybe take one of the rooms downstairs. We were given a choice of 2 rooms downstairs and this room upstairs. We took the room upstairs thinking it was away from the rest of the house, but it was a tad bit cluttered and the ensuite was quite pokey. Mick ( we never met Susan) was a most gracious and pleasant host. We met him as we checked in and did not see him thereafter.

The deal included continental breakfast. This I have to say was a bit disappointing. There were 3 half used loaves of white, wholemeal and multigrain bread in the fridge along with some half used juice cartons. There were also used yoghurt multipacks in the fridge along with 3 types of cereals in jars in the kitchen. No croissants like in the promo pictures. I personally think that a basket of fresh bread, rolls or even muffins or croissants would just have added that fresh feel to the very unappetizing breakfast, given that there are such nice local bakeries.

Do keep in mind that if all the rooms or even 3 rooms are occupied parking can get a bit fidly. There is a very narrow access area for the car parking.
BTW Mick our deal also included a bottle of wine which we never got.....

Overall had a pleasant stay. At $199 for 2 nights it was worth it.

• Stayed November 2013, traveled as a couple
SususPortarlington, Owner at Pelican Sands, responded to this review, December 17, 2013
Thank you for taking the time to write a review for us. I recall that you were our "early birds" up and away early each morning making the most of your stay. I am sorry that I did not get to meet you. I was in the kitchen at the B&B each morning to cook breakfast but you had already left to explore our beautiful Bellarine Pensinsula.

I look forward to meeting you next time you come to stay.
Melbourne
4 of 5 stars Reviewed October 24, 2013

My title may have you wondering, so to put you out of your misery, so to speak, I will explain. Pelican Sands is or at least appears to be, an old 2-storey house situated on a the outer most extremities of Portarlington. It certainly doesn't stand out, but it is what is on the inside that makes one sit up and take notice.

Aviva and I partook in a mid-week 2 nighter thanks to Groupon for a ridiculously low $199 inclusive. This said, I firmly believe that many B&B's are over-priced, so as much as I appreciate the lowish cost, to a large extent I agree with it.

The downstairs area is, aside from a small open office at the rear, all accommodation - namely four individually themed room, with us taking the Romance room. The concept works and the owners Susan and Mick (probably more Susan me thinks given that Mick is an old timer footy player - we're talking real football by the way - Aussie rules - and while I am not sure of Mick's age I believe he is just on the wrong side of 60 yet is as fit a Mallee bull and continues to play footy) have equipped each room appropriately. The en-suite was huge and well equipped. Move back to the lovely bed stacked with a range of pillows, and you can, should you so desire, partake in watching a DVD with the crew having accumulated a host of films for you to watch at no charge.

Upstairs consists of a large kitchen, dining and lounge area with big screen TV, couch et all. It opens up to a large balcony and all is very tastefully furnished and finished. Continental breakfast is included and it is up to those attending to go about the business of getting their own breakfast, which is fine as long as everyone does the right thing.

Overall I give Pelican Sands a good score, with the only let down as far as I can see, a sign in the kitchen advising that visitors can not use the oven or have hot meals due to Insurance Limitations. Now this takes the cake. It's not something I have heard of before.

Portarlington, although a nice quiet town, doesn't have a whole lot to offer, so don't expect party time any time soon when visiting. However if you do head down that way, I would recommend you give Pelican Sands a go.

• Stayed October 2013, traveled as a couple

Been to Pelican Sands? Share your experiences!