“Cosy but didn't get the opportunity to appreciate it..” 3 of 5 stars
Review of The Loft In The Mill Boutique Accommodation

You added The Loft In The Mill Boutique Accommodation to your Saves list
The Loft In The Mill Boutique Accommodation
4.0 of 5 Guest house   |   1602 Mount Dandenong Tourist Road | (Corner Harold Street, Opposite Olinda Village at the top of Mount Dandenong), Olinda, Victoria 3788, Australia   |
Ranked #5 of 13 Olinda B&B and Inns
Melbourne, Australia
“Cosy but didn't get the opportunity to appreciate it..”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed May 30, 2013

Lovely location in Olinda,the Calico room was cosy although didn't really get to enjoy it.
Was a surprise one night stay for our anniversary (minus the two kids),but unfortunately I did not enjoy the room as I ended up in hospital that night.I was a little disappointed that the owner was not sympathetic, nor offered us a discount or an incentive to come back. I expected better customer service...

• Stayed April 2013, traveled as a couple

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (37)
5 of 5 stars Reviewed May 16, 2013 via mobile

Amazing friendly helpful staff, king arthur room was great! Private courtyard very nice, limo trip very well organised and the dinner was amazing, one of the best places I've ever stayed and would recommend it to everyone

• Stayed May 2013
Strathalbyn, Australia
4 of 5 stars Reviewed May 3, 2013

Olinda is a lovely little town and the motel setting is gorgeous.
The Calico room however is extremely small with nowhere to put clothes or suitcases. That was more than a little annoying.
I was disappointed too that for the price the room was not serviced. We had ample breakfast provisions but even they were not checked on a daily basis.
It is very close to all the local shops so can make a great base if you don't mind limited space.

• Stayed April 2013, traveled as a couple
LoftInTheMillOwner, Owner at The Loft In The Mill Boutique Accommodation, responded to this review, May 4, 2013
Tracey B I'm sorry that the Calico Suite wasn't what you had hoped for it to be, we would like all our guests to leave with a satisfied feeling after having stayed here, and most of the 6000 that stay every year do, but I would like to address the concerns that you have. The Calico Suite comprises a separate loungeroom and kitchenette measuring 5.4 m x 3.5 m(18.9 square metres), the bedroom measuring 3.5 m x 3m(10.5 square metres)and the bathroom measuring 2.8 m x 2.3 m(6.44 square metres), equating to an internal area in the suite of 35.84 square metres, add to this the courtyard which measures 5.7m x 4.5m(25.65 square metres) and I'm sorry but I couldn't agree with your opinion that the Calico Suite has 'limited space". In the bedroom and as indicated at the right edge of the Calico bedroom photo on all websites is the hanging space/cupboard which measures 800 mm wide by 1.25 m high and which has a suitcase shelf at the bottom. Add to this a top shelf measuring 340 mm high by 800 wide and a bottom shelf that measures 700 mm high by 800 mm high, and again I'm sorry but I have to again disagree with your opinion that there is "nowhere to put clothes or suitcases".
We do have a 24 hour phone direct to management located to the left hand side of the reception door that is shown to all guests checking in, I only wish you hadn't picked it up and we would have been only too happy to bring one of four folding hanging racks on castors that we have to your suite if you needed additional hanging space. We do a complete clean every third day of a stay, and if guests want a service on any or everyday we are only too happy to do this by simply letting reception know which is open every day between 10 am and 6 pm. All of our tariffs for all of our suites are competitively priced. I hope that your concerns do not stop you from again enjoying the facilites from the varied suites at Loft In The Mill in the future.
Kind Regards,
The Team at Loft In The Mill
Melbourne, Australia
3 of 5 stars Reviewed April 28, 2013

The staff at The Loft in the Mill are lovely, however the King Arthur suite is far from 4.5 stars. There is no where to store your clothes at all, no wardrobe or draws, we hung our clothes on the bath robe hooks. There is no power points in the bathroom so I had to dry my hair over the kitchen sink, the sink in the bathroom is a half sink so we had to use the kitchen sink for shaving and brushing our teeth. The room was stuffy and badly configurated our room faced the car park so we couldn't leave the windows open for air, our patio area was just awful so we sat in the sun in the garden area. Another couple joined us and they were also disappointed that their room was not 4.5 stars as claimed by the owners. Way, way over priced for what you get, the Langham is luxury this is not we have stayed in many 4+ accomodation, this would not pass 3 stars.

Room Tip: Don't bother for this price
  • Stayed April 2013, traveled as a couple
Renai it was disappointing to read that your and Rod's 20th Anniversary stay was not what you wanted it to be. I hope that you enjoyed the stretch limousine transfers and meal that we organised for you at Skyhigh Restaurant upon the night of your arrival?
Of the 70 odd reviews posted on the whole property there are over 25 positive reviews on the King Arthur Suite alone, but having said that I agree that the King Arthur Suite doesn't have a wardrobe as such and as mentioned in the previous management response I only wish that you had notifed reception sometime over the two days that you spent with us and we would have been happy to put a mobile clothing rack in if you wanted to hang your clothes up on something other than the four hooks with clothing hangers that are located behind the bathroom door in the suite. It sounds like you hadn't seen these if you were using the hooks on the inside of the bathroom door, making a total of six hanging hooks in the King Arthur Suite to hang clothing on.
I take on aboard your comments and agree that there is not a power point presently in the bathroom as a whole new black marble bathroom is scheduled for completion in the King Arthur Suite before the end of this calendar year. We have built or replaced 11 marbled bathrooms throughout the property over the past 17 months, and as we can save the money myself and my wife continue to completely refurbish our beautiful property. The King Arthur Suite and Tudor Suite are the only two suites that have not had their bathrooms replaced to date, and that doesn't include the two additional bathrooms that we have created to add to the existing replaced one in the Carriagehouse, or the second bathroom that we created to add to the existing replaced one in the Governor's Retreat. Rest assured when the new King Arthur Suite bathroom is completed it will have power points and a wider basin than the existing one.
As constructive as your first two points were I am afraid I couldn't disagree more with your last three comments in your review. Initially you said the Suite was "stuffy and badly configurated, facing the car park so you couldn't leave the windows open for air', well the King Arthur Suite has a three metre high ceiling which is 300 mm higher than a normal ceiling height, the suite itself measures 6.9 m x 5.6 m(38.64 square metres), the bathroom measures 2.8 m x 1.7 m(4.76 square metres), giving you a total internal area of 43.4 square metres, and then you have your own private courtyard which measures 6.5 m x 5.9 m which is an additional 38.35 square metres to the inside areas. The King Arthur Suite is entered from full length glass double opening french doors from it's own west facing courtyard and the whole orientation of the suite faces that courtyard. There are three other double glazed double hung sache windows in the suite, all measuring 1.5 metres high x 1 metre wide, with one on the eastern side and the other two on the northern side of the Mill which also houses our carpark. To say that the suite faces the car park is simply untrue. I also can't see how you would describe the suite as being "Stuffy"? You must of had the Log Fire absolutedly pumping out the heat which it will do if you want it to, and then had a real hot spa bath at the same time in the double spa bath at the foot of the bed, and even then you could of opened any one of these three windows for ventilation as all three have flyscreens, but again I would reiterate that to describe the suite as stuffy even if all these elements were present and occuring at the same time is simply inaccurate and incorrect. The comment "our patio area was just awful" again I couldn't disagree more with. This is not a patio it is a private courtyard with 2.2 metre high fences on all sides that is configered to take in an afternoon and setting sun with two synthetic outdoor wicker lounge chairs, an ottoman that can be used as a coffee table made of the same material, a shade umbrella, recycled red clinker brick paving underfoot and a surrounding garden of some thirty odd English Box Trees. It is so beautiful the suite deliberately looks out onto it through the glassed doors. All photos on all 134 websites that we advertise on accurately depict the delightful King Arthur Suite and this stunning courtyard. Awful simply doesn't come to mind when describing this courtyard, or patio that you call it.
At least you got to sit in our equally stunning Garden of Eden which is for all our guests use and which is located at the rear of both the Loft In the Mill and Carriagehouse buildings. Myself and several of my staff walked past that area and saw you seated in the synthetic outdoor wicker lounge suites and chairs in the Garden of Eden with the lovely couple that were staying in the Tudor Suite. Coincidentally I was in reception when that couple checked out the next morning and they checked on availability in late July as they stated they wanted to come back to stay at the Loft in The Mill. I have no idea why you would want to add "Chinese Whispers" that another couple may have not liked their stay to support your claims in your review, but again speak only your own truth, as this other couple were delightful and we look forward to them returning to stay with us.
Finally I'm sure that you've enjoyed staying in many hotels, and you make mention of the Langham in Melbourne which I agree is a lovely place, however that doesn't make you an authority on Hotel ratings and to say that a suite containing a Sealy Posturepedic King Size Bed, a Majestic Double Spa Bath at the foot of that bed, a Log Fire, a beautiful outdoor courtyard that you don't incidentally get at the Langham and a handcrafted quality Lounge Suite that was made by WM Woodcarvings here in Melbourne would not be worthy of a 3 star rating is again completely inaccurate. The King Arthur Suite's deserved four and a half star rating is part of the reason why so many of our guests, and with a 19% return patronage on last year alone, return to this majestic suite and this wonderful place.
Kind Regards,
The Owners of The Loft In the Mill
Brisbane, Australia
5 of 5 stars Reviewed April 27, 2013 via mobile

The Loft in the Mill is a great boutique accommodation in Olinda - we highly recommend you consider staying here when you visit the Mt Dandenong area. Set in a cute little village, The Loft in the Mill has a great and authentic English feel. We stayed in the Victorian room. Attention to detail on everything, and we couldn't fault a thing. Loved the choice in furnishings, and the arrival chocolates and breakfast provisions included with the room were a nice touch. The staff were great also, very friendly. When you visit, consider a stop at Miss Marples Tea Room in Sassafras (next village down the road). You will likely have a short wait due to it's popularity, but definitely worth it.

• Stayed April 2013
Canberra, Australia
5 of 5 stars Reviewed April 12, 2013

My hubby & I had the best deal on a spur of the moment when we headed out to Olinda for Devonshire Tea then decided to stay the nite without making a booking. I search online & rang to ask if they had a room & Brad said yes & he'd do us a deal. We checked in & was amazed at the room we were shown - Calico suite. Then Brad asked if we made any dinner plans & proceeded to offer us a dinner deal with a chauffeur driven limo pick up & drop off. It was the perfect deal as we were celebrating our anniversary. Thanks to Brad.. :)

Room Tip: The Calico Suite is perfect..
Singapore
4 of 5 stars Reviewed March 15, 2013

My friends and I booked the Loft in the Mill as a treat and what a treat it was! We stayed here for one night and were pleasantly surprised by the comfort and luxury of the suite we were in. Everything from the furniture to the fittings was done with thought and executed well. We were so impressed we spent the first half hour there taking photographs.

The room we were in has two separate sleeping areas, a good sized sitting and dining area. The bed and bedding are very comfortable so you will definitely get a good night's sleep. I love good bathrooms and this one I would love for my own home. The shower is over the large jacuzzi tub, which is large enough for at least two. The bath products are Molton & Brown and the towels provided are fluffy and clean. All the fittings are in gold, adding a touch of luxury to your bath time.

The pantry is well-stocked with breakfast items like bread, butter, cereal, milk and orange juice. There is an induction stove, toaster, kettle and even a dishwasher which is great for longer stays. The Loft provides all manner of cutlery, kitchenware and glassware for use which makes you feel right at home.

The Loft is also great location-wise as it is minutes away from several attractions like Sky High and the National Rhododendron Gardens. While we were there, we were offered a free limo service by Sky High which we took for our dinner out that night. There are many places to eat or shop at nearby though some of these might close early. If you drive, there is adequate parking right next to the Loft.

The only thing for improvement would be better air-conditioning in the bedroom and loft area as it can get stuffy, though an additional fan provided helped somewhat. All in all, I had a thoroughly enjoyable and relaxing stay in this beautifully quaint hotel.I would definitely recommend it and would go back especially if I plan to spend more than a day up in the hills.

Room Tip: The Loft is up a flight of stairs so request for a ground level room if you have issues with mobilit...
  • Stayed March 2013, traveled with friends

Been to The Loft In The Mill Boutique Accommodation? Share your experiences!