“What a view!” 4 of 5 stars

Improve this listing
Ranked #4 of 17 Restaurants in Myrtleford
Cuisines: International
Dining options: Reservations
Description: Gapsted Wines Cellar Door Restaurant is a just few minutes drive from Myrtleford, Beechworth, Milawa, Wangaratta, and Bright and is open for lunch everyday from 12 noon to 4 pm. We use local ingredients from the surrounding gourmet regions to produce an exceptional menu that changes seasonally. If you are looking for a food and wine experience that will challenge your taste buds then look no further. Enjoy this, and exceptional service in a beautiful natural setting. Savor sweeping views of the surrounding vineyard and alpine vista beyond while you relax and enjoy the region's best food and innovative wine varieties. Bookings to our restaurant are recommended.
Myrtleford, Victoria, Australia
“What a view!”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed April 22, 2012

Friendly staff, gorgeous wines, tasty food. What more needs to be said?

Visited December 2011

Albury, Australia
“Great stop, nice food & service”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed March 28, 2012

We stopped here enroute to Myrtleford on a bike ride along the Rail Trail from Everton. After a coffee in Myrtleford we came back through to Gapsted (I had called in earler & let them know we were a group of about 12 riders & they said they were booked up indoors - at this stage it was an overcast & damp day but could accommodate us on the covered verandah) - just an hour and a bit later - they had very thoughtfully set up a large table for us on a shelterd area of the verendah. We enjoyed a number of antipasti platters (and some very nice white wines!) and they were delicious - and the service was at all times very helpful.

• Visited March 2012
    • 5 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 4 of 5 stars Food
Perth, Western Australia
“Include Gapsted on your agenda if staying a few days in the Ovens Valley”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed February 6, 2012

We had a lovely morning in Beechworth and then made our way to Gapsted Wines for lunch. There were enough parking bays and a few other patrons dining on the verandah or tasting wines inside. We sat outside; the only annoying factor were the flies, so we moved inside after we finished our entrees (agro dolce tart and beef carpaccio). The beef was not as thin as usually served for carpaccio, but we thought it was even better, very tasty, lean and good quality local meat. Our mains were lemon zest haloumi and Gapsted grill, a mixed grill with chicken satay, pork sausage and beef. Great choice as the haloumi salad counterbalanced the meat dish. We tasted some of the Gapsted wines and they were better than expected from the little-known Ovens Valley. The bill, without dessert, was AUD$95, which is quite reasonable. The ambience was not the greatest but in the end we chatted and got to know the senior staff member and enjoyed our day there. We left thinking it was definitely worth going to Gapsted.

• 3 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 4 of 5 stars Food
Port Macquarie, Australia
“Very hit and miss”
2 of 5 stars Reviewed February 3, 2012

We visited on the recent long weekend and were very disappointed. We did not have a booking and were told they were fully booked on the verandah, so had seats inside, only to have other diners arrive after us, also without bookings but then to be seated on the verandah. They seem to fill the inside less preferred seats first as the 4 inside tables were all full before any outside/verandah seats were used. I ordered the lamb cutlets and they were quite inedible, very fatty, black and overcooked on the outside and still quite red and floppy including the fat on the inside. We have been here previously and had the tasting plate which we enjoyed, but we will not go back again. I advised our waitress of the fatty lamb, but it did not seem to register.

• 4 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 1 of 5 stars Food
perth
“Never lets me down.”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 31, 2012

I have just bought a house in the area, so I wanted a place I could take my family and friends when they visit, (or give them a map, and say "go!" while I work!).

I have been to Gapstead 4 times in the last 2 months, and each time loved the food, and been treated very well by all of the staff. I thoroughly enjoyed my pork chop served with Milawa Blue cheese, fresh pear and baby carrots, with a generous dish of sinfully rich creamy scalloped potatoes. I ordered the same thing the next time, as I kept dreaming about it!

Small wineries do need us to book if we can, so they can have adequete staff and produce available, and a welcome table ready. If we don't book, maybe that's why the staff can be stressed and appear rude, they are only human, not robots!

I always buy some Ballerina Canopy Chardonnay to take home, and their Pinot Gris too.

• 5 of 5 stars Atmosphere