“Lot's of character, pleasent surroundings and lovely room” 5 of 5 stars
Review of Maldon's Eaglehawk Motel

Maldon's Eaglehawk Motel
We can't find prices for this hotel
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this hotel, but we can search other options in Maldon
Maldon's Eaglehawk Motel
You added Maldon's Eaglehawk Motel to your Saves list
35 Reef Street, Maldon, Victoria 3463, Australia   |
Ranked #1 of 1 Hotels in Maldon
Geelong, Australia
“Lot's of character, pleasent surroundings and lovely room”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 15, 2011

Make most welcome and was upgraded at no cost. Would recommend this motel for a nice relaxing stay while your explore the surrounding areas. Take a trip on the steam train to Castlemaine.

• Stayed January 2011, traveled as a couple

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (4)
Queensland
1 of 5 stars Reviewed October 14, 2009

My mum and I booked by email to stay here weeks in advance of our trip to Victoria. We turned up late on a Sunday afternoon to check in, only to be told by the woman that our reservation was for the night before.

I had booked correctly and had received confirmation by email of the correct date and a room for one night.

After some to and fro and insisting that i had the right date and she insisting that it was for the night before, she abruptly said "well it's too late now because I have given your room to Trace and she is staying four nights." (implying that she was a mate and that, with four nights stay, was worth more money than us).

No apology given, no offer of another room (according to the sign out the front there were still vacancies), nothing.

My mistake was not having the email printed out ... but with her attitude to this point, there was no way I was going to give her my money anyway!

Problem was, there are very little other accommodation options in Maldon ... so I had to make a hurried call (via my trusty Lonely Planet guide) to the Daylesford Accommodation Booking Service. They were more than helpful and absolutely wonderful. They waited at the booking office for us to make the 30 minute drive back to Daylesford - after 5pm on a Sunday - to pick up the keys to our alternative accommodation. They were brilliant!

The same can't be said for this horror hotel.

I checked my email upon returning to Queensland only to find out that I was correct. I sent a scathing email to the Maldon hotel to which a simple reply was given "sorry, my mistake."

After ending up more than $50 out of pocket, plus the inconvenience of an extra drive at the end of a tiring day, I can safely say that we will never visit Maldon again.

I wish the people of Maldon could know how shabby this hotel was as they are the ones that also suffered from our lack of spending a single tourist cent there.

AVOID THIS HOTEL AT ALL COSTS!!

• Stayed September 2009
Melbourne
4 of 5 stars Reviewed July 2, 2009

I'd been interstate and decided to head to Bendigo Art Gallery straight from Tullamarine, instead of going home. I decided to stop at Maldon en route because it's a lovely town in the Goldfields area. I'd chosen the motel before heading interstate but hadn't noted the address. Doh!

By the time I'd eaten in Kyneton it was dark when I arrived in Maldon and the motel was not on the approach road I'd travelled on. Some friendly locals in the main street pointed me in the right direction. It was lateish when I finally arrived. The welcome could not have been warmer.

The room was spacious, the bathroom a decent size, the bed comfortable. And oh the joy of a couch to sit on to watch TV. I liked the decor but it's not blokey if such things are of concern.

I didn't have time to linger but in rose season (whenever that is, I'm no gardener!), sitting on the verandah for breakfast overlooking the garden would be a delight.

• Stayed March 2009, traveled solo
Port Melbourne
3 of 5 stars Reviewed September 18, 2008

I stayed at the Eaglehawk Motel in early July 2008. I was there for 2 nights while playing in a local golf tournament.

The motel is clean, neat and rather twee. Think a blend of Laura Ashley combined with prized "antique" pieces from local garage sales. I think it would appeal less to us blokes but should keep your partners happy enough.

It has everything youi need but is a 12-15 minute walk from beautiful downtown Maldon.

I think it is a very popular place to sleep in this popular tourist town so bookings are recommended.

• Liked — Neat, tidy and thoughtful additions to the room
  • Disliked — 15 minute walk to pubs, shops etc.
  • Stayed July 2008, traveled with friends
    • 3 of 5 stars Check in / front desk
    • 3 of 5 stars Business service (e.g., internet access)
Melbourne, Australia
1,388 reviews 1,388 reviews
3,152 helpful votes 3,152 helpful votes
3 of 5 stars Reviewed April 24, 2008

It is thankfully not often when staying at a hotel or motel that one is woken with a 'bang' in the middle of the night.

But at this motel, I woke with a 'start' around midnight. A gold mine some distance away in this historic former major 1850s goldmining town had let off a charge, which was enough to get me dressed and out of the room quick smart.

This Maldon motel features colonial-era decor. It was not quite to my taste, being too 'olde-worlde' for my liking in what came across to me, perhaps unfairly, as a little 'fake.'

That notwithstanding, there were no problems with noise save for the aforementioned explosion, not something that moteliers can control, and after my midnight wake-up call I enjoyed a good night's sleep.

I did not sample breakfast but it appeared to be typical Australian motel fare.

• Liked — Good location reasonably close to the beautifully historic Main Street
  • Disliked — 'Olde-worlde' fittings and furnishings
  • Stayed September 2007, traveled solo
    • 3 of 5 stars Check in / front desk

Been to Maldon's Eaglehawk Motel? Share your experiences!