“Excellent getaway ...” 5 of 5 stars

187 High Street, Heathcote, Victoria 3523, Australia   |
Ranked #5 of 6 Heathcote B&B and Inns
“Excellent getaway ...”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 21, 2012

We stay for a weekend at Emeu Inn every year. Well appointed rooms. We love the front room and the Cottage the best. They are all different. Great hospitality, relaxed, friendly. Leslye and Fred and fab hosts. We love the hearty yet sophisticated dinner and the wines offered. We look forward to this weekend which is also the Heathcote Food and Wine Festival - walking distance so no driving also makes it a big attraction. Recommended to some friends who have stayed there and agreed with our high standards. Thank you Leslye and Fred.

Room Tip: All rooms are great and different.
  • Stayed October 2012, traveled as a couple
HeathcotePearl, Owner at Emeu Inn Bed & Breakfast, responded to this review, October 23, 2012
It's always great to have repeat visitors who are happy with what we do. Thank you for your lovely review. We look forward to seeing you next year, Grace!

Solo
Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (4)
4 of 5 stars Reviewed August 5, 2012

Offering a nice enough frontage in the town's main area of the 'longest main street in Australia'; the 5km of High Street in Heathcot, the Emue Inn is an authentic attempt at creating a relevant 21st century B&B.

The rooms were fine for our two night stay; unusual in design, but functional with all one could ask for. The shower, although effectively hidden from view from the bed (in the twin bedroom cottage we and our friends stayed in - not sure how the others fare), by it lacking a wall the shower can be noisy if your partner decides to have a shower whilst you are sleeping. It's not a big deal, but worth mentioned.

Overall then, the room/s were fine.

The yard though was one area I had a little concern over. It could have been that the hosts, Fred and Leslye were (in a week's time) to embark on a lengthy overseas sojourn, that they let the yard 'go' a little. The Paths were strew with old leaves, the grass was quite long and, perhaps worst of all, the resident dogs' doings lay in the direct path of one's shoes. Indeed, I managed to 'snare' a dropping. So I proceeded inside (with shoes off) where I cleaned the offending shoe leaving the face washer I used to clean the show, a little worse for wear. I tried quite hard to clean the washer, but it left some marks. A little later when Leslye (I assume) went inside intent on a quick tidy up, she located the stained washer and proceeded to lay it out flat on the side of spa - for fairly blatant reasons. Under the circumstances all I could do was try harder to remove the marks made by both the dirt and the doggie do on my shoe.

I know it sounds a little picky and I don't want readers to think badly of Emue Inn, rather it was a little frustrating having to try and step around the various pieces of doggie do in the yard near our parked cars.

Another situation I feel is worth noting is how when we and our friends were sitting in the central living room (between the two bedrooms) having a tea and a chat, the front door opened to Leslye who had noted that the front light was left on. Frankly, we didn't realise it had been, however for Leslye to use her key to unlock and open the door and put her hand inside to turn the light off was petty in the extreme.

No big deal though, certainly given the delightful breakfasts and dinners presented in the dining room. Neatly presented and of the best quality, our breakfasts were great. Likewise the one dinner we and our two Chinese friends indulged in, was great. Personally, I absolutely loved my curry beef, it was truly spectacular and a credit to Fred. Likewise my wife and our friends enjoyed their food.

On a side note, our friends had only just returned from a lengthy Chinese trip and had brought back an incredibly expensive bottle of Chinese alcohol. And they wanted us to try it at dinner as a thank you for inviting them away with us. As it turned out, the restaurant does not cater for BYO, however after virtually begging we were given the go ahead to drink the alcohol. Please understand that it was in no way an attempt to cut costs (certainly given the insane cost of the Chinese alcohol)! However as it tuned out, we paid an additional $22 for the privilege. It would seem that the alcohol was potentially cutting into the restaurant's profit!

The dinner; superb for sure, was a little on the expensive side for a small town facility at $60 per head for 2 courses. You can accept this in the city...but as I say, it was well worth the eating.

The side entry and back yard were quite untidy as a rule which slightly sullied the ambiance of the stay.

So there you go. The good, the bad and the ugly.

Please don't think my comments are designed to put anyone off, rather it is to ensure you know what 'may' lay ahead should you intend vising the Emue Inn.

The hosts were nice, the food spectacular and the accommodating more than acceptable. At a price.

• Stayed August 2012, traveled as a couple
HeathcotePearl, Owner at Emeu Inn Bed & Breakfast, responded to this review, August 6, 2012
I was quite surprised by this guest's comments. The guests were very pleased with their meals, as they noted, however, when they arrived in the restaurant with three bottles of wine and asked if we were BYO, I responded that we didn't do BYO. To my surprise, the expensive bottle of wine (53% alcohol Chinese "wine") was opened and poured. I said nothing but charged our normal $15 corkage fee.The $22 mentioned included a large bottle of sparkling mineral water for $7 plus the corkage charge of $15. If pre-arranged and it's not a wine we stock, we do allow BYO. Most will understand that restaurant's make money on drinks they sell, not the food, so yes, BYO cuts into profitability.

As for the garden and carpark. We have experienced several days ands nights of heavy rain in the last week or so. It is impossible to mow grass then and to keep on top of wet leaves. As for the doggy do, I apologise. We are a dog friendly property (one guest had a dog) and we have two dogs ourselves. We try to collect droppings, but occasionally miss some. Accidents happen. When cleaning the suite, I was unaware that the face washer was soiled. I just spread cloths and towels out to dry. There was no intention to do anything other than allow it to dry.

I was unaware of the shower interferring with one's partner's sleep. Not sure what I can do about that without rebuilding.

Frequently outside lights are left on during daylight hours. I try to discreetly turn them off, if possible. I knocked, then used my key, as the switch was in the lounge area. I tried not to interrupt the guests, so I apologise if I did.

We do our best to maintain our property and to keep prices at a rate where we can sustain our business. Our prices have remained the same for the last three years, although costs certainly have not.

We appreciate guests' feedback and hope they understand our response.
Perth, Australia
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 11, 2012

Just spent two nights staying in "The Cottage" - loved the spa. It was wonderful to arrive and enjoy the lovely fruitcake, nibbles, port and sparkling wine awaiting. Lesley was such a wonderful host and nothing was too much trouble. It is a must when staying that you book for dinner. The food was outstanding. Would definitely stay again next time we visit the area. For those who love their wine the location is so convenient with a winery next door and another one a comfortable walk down the street.

• Stayed June 2012, traveled as a couple
HeathcotePearl, Owner at Emeu Inn Bed & Breakfast, responded to this review, June 13, 2012
It's always a pleasure to serve guests who appreciate what we do. Thank you.
Sydney
5 of 5 stars Reviewed November 19, 2011

We stayed one night at the Inn on a trip through Victoria. I had booked for dinner thinking that it would be a convenient, if probably ordinary, meal and we were very pleasantly surprised.
We had the spicy tomato soup, made with bush tomatoes,and an excellent risotto for the first courses and then my husband had emu pie and I had a steak, aged on the premises, for our main meals. The wine list was also very interesting and Lesley gave us advice about our choices.
Breakfast was also excellent, with homebaked breads and croissants, homemade jam and peaches grown in the back garden and poached by Fred.
Our room was very comfortable and sparkling wine and fruit cake were provided in the lounge area as well as the usual tea and coffee.
Fred and Lesley are charming and helpful, and our stay with them was very pleasant.

• Stayed November 2011, traveled as a couple
Melbourne, Australia
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 27, 2010

Lesley and Fred are great people willing to tend to all of your concerns. They provide a great service and have excellent food in their restaurant. This was by no means an impersonal experience, our hosts were friendly and above all themselves.
The dogs roamed about the courtyard which allowed for a great easy-going experience. All the gain of a beautiful, well-kept and comfortable room, without the withdrawn, faceless hospitality often seen in the business.

• Stayed October 2010, traveled as a couple
4 of 5 stars Reviewed May 1, 2010

This was our third or fourth visit to The Emue Inn, testament to how much we enjoy our time here.

The rooms are comfortable, and exceptionally clean. We find this B&B particularly brilliant because pets are welcome (by prior arrangement) and it is a real treat for the two of us and our dog to travel together.

The Emue Inn is perfectly located for long strolls along the main street, and is easy walking distance to all the town's main shops. Heathcote's great wineries are in easy driving distance, but regular wine tastings are often offered in the restaurant, so you don't even need to go that far!

As one of the very few restaurants open in the evenings (besides the pubs), it is hard to go past Fred's beautiful cuisine. The range is fantastic, and he is able to cater to everyone, from fussy vegetarians to ceoliacs.

Don't visit the Emue Inn expecting slick, modern pretentions. Go for warm service, excellent food and good old-fashioned country hospitality. And two of the friendliest dogs!

• Stayed April 2010, traveled as a couple
2 of 5 stars Reviewed April 24, 2009

We were disappointed that the rooms did not look quite the same as depicted on the website, they were more "motel" style i.e. exposed brick, doillies, lace curtains etc. Although very clean with some nice touches e.g. complimentary sparkling,port and biscuits (why was there a half-used tub of Vaseline in the bathroom drawer?!). On arrival we organised to dine in, stating that we were not big eaters and would be happy with soup and something light. We were told this would not be a problem, only to have the chef come to our door later and say that there had been a mistake and he could not cook for us as he had made prior arrangements! Being a Monday night this did not leave us with much choice in a small town. Breakfast was average contintental style. Overall overpriced compared to some of the other lovely places we stayed at in the area.

• Stayed April 2009, traveled as a couple
HeathcotePearl, owner/manager at Emeu Inn Bed & Breakfast, responded to this review, May 9, 2009
I was surprised to see this review as the guest gave no indication that it was less than promised. We did have to change from the original suite booked as the hot water service was playing up. In lieu, we gave this couple one of our nicest, most popular suites. Our building is an 1857 hotel, so we have decorated in period-style furnishings. I have never been told it looked like a motel.

Our continental breakfast consists of several cereals, fruit grown in our garden that we have preserved, yoghurt, homemade bread, homemade croissants and homemade jams, and juice. Most everyone is surprised that we grown our own fruit and make croissant and bread.

As for dinner, the last night of our working week is Monday, the night these guests stayed. To stay open for a few hours for a bowl of soup, after working about 80 hours for the week, is not very rewarding. This was a bit messy, I admiit, but I had forgotten that my husband had made an appointment.

If guests are unhappy, I think it's appropriate to tell the hosts. No other facility in Heathcote serves breakfast of any sort nor do they serve dinner. You can do it yourself, but there is no one available to do it for you. We pride ourselves on our service, so this is disappointing.

Been to Emeu Inn Bed & Breakfast? Share your experiences!