“Awesome Asian fusion” 5 of 5 stars

278 Maroondah Highway, Healesville, Victoria, Australia
Improve this listing
Cuisines: Japanese
Dining options: Breakfast
Description: A young Japanese Chef, trained at Chateau Yering and Jacques Reymonde, has taken over this cafe in Healesville. The food is brilliant and truly innovative. He is being assisted by another cook who has had 2 x 2hat 'Cheap Eats ' cafes in Healesville. A fabulous newcomer!
Melbourne Australia
“Awesome Asian fusion”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed November 17, 2012

Have just come from experiencing a great lunch at The Wanda Inn. Housed within a small unpretentious shop front, this is a diner's treat. An ex chef from Yering Station restaurant has struck out on his own. The kitchen and the cooking are open to the dining area and this instills a lot of confidence.

The smallish menu is what most would describe as Asian fusion but it has a definite Japanese input. We started out with the pork gyozas which were simply to die for and one of our party declared that when she returned she would simply order 4 serves of the gyozas and nothing else. ($8 for 5)

We tried the teriyaki burger with wasabi mayonaise with handmade fries and salad and the tempura garfish with handmade fries and salad. Both dishes were excellent and both dishes cost $20. The teriyaki burger came with a small bun and a huge pattie of tasty well cooked (not over cooked) meat pattie sitting on fruit relish and the wasabi mayonaise. The tempura garfish was so delicate and tasty and fresh and was served with tempura corn as well as the chips and salad.

There were quite a few dessert options and we had earmarked the pancakes for dessert but we were unable to stay the distance.

The Wanda Inn was doing a very brisk trade in take away sushi and the sushi looked great. I would definitely try the sushi next time as all those people can't be wrong!

This restaurant has ordinary surroundings and the service is not 5 star but the food most definitely is 5 star and the prices are very reasonable for such taste sensations.

Absolutely worth travelling to Healesville for on a Sunday.

• Visited November 2012

Melbourne, Australia
“Don't judge a book by its cover”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed November 12, 2012

I had read about this place elsewhere and we drove from Yarra Glen to Healesville (twice as it turned out) for brunch. We were not disappointed! Looks nothing special from the front, a simple street front cafe but the food, OMG, it was awesome!! The Salmon california rolls are the biggest I have ever seen and so tasty but wait there's more pork pancakes and pork belly to die for. We loved the food much we came back the next day for second go.

• Visited November 2012
Melbourne, Australia
“Hidden gem - a real treat!”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 7, 2012 via mobile

We live in Healesville and eat out often. We'd been to WandaInn under its previous owners.....once! That was enough. It was with some trepidation that we returned, hearing it was now owned by one of the ex chefs from Chateau Yering, from memory. Let me tell you, we were blown away and it is now the restaurant of choice for the family!

We have had numerous breakfasts and lunches here. It's an unpretentious place, but don't be fooled. The food is great! The chef does all the preparation and everything appears to be made on site, even the bread. You might think it's East meets West when you sample delicious gyoza, or my favourite, the pork pancakes. Try the pork belly if you're really hungry, or the amazing carrot and coriander soup for a lighter snack. The lamb or beef burger with wasabi mayonnaise is incredible, especially when teamed with chips that are perfectly cooked, crisp on the outside and hot all the way through. None of those soggy, pre-cooked things that abound!

Breakfast is also a real treat. Vegetarian choice abounds, but try the fritters served with what I think is beetroot relish. The omelette is great, the muffins probably the best and most consistent in town. My wife is the coffee fiend in our family and she swears by the brew here. The green tea has flavour and isn't the dishwater many serve as tea.

Well, that just leaves the service. Emma and Jo are so friendly and welcoming that it is always a pleasure to drop in. There's plenty of banter and a sense of fun, but underpinning it all is a chef and a team who want to do what they do well. With the nice weather coming, Healesville will have more visitors. My only hope is that we'll still be able to just drop in and have a meal. This is a team that deserves their success!

healesville
“Huge breakfast”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed September 12, 2012

I had the Vegetarian special breakfast, and it kept me full for hours after, quite yummy, the pumpkin and fetta croquettes something nice and different. Coffee was good. Though the decor is shocking!

• Visited September 2012
Yarra Valley, Victoria, Australia
“Rough Diamond”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed September 8, 2012

I am always joyously surprised when I stumble upon an eatery that the "in the know" don't know about! This very unassuming cafe/restaurant has the faced and decor of an eighties suburban coffee shop but with the food and presentation of a slick inner city elitist food mecca. I was gobsmacked with the gyoza! Truly, no where and I mean no where is Australia will you get it as good - and I lived in Japan for more than three years and was hooked on the stuff.

My partner and enjoyed the aforementioned followed by the Teriyaki burger [for myself] and the lemon myrtle crusted chicken breast for her.

This little gem is a fusion of Japanese influenced flavours with remarkable local produce and eye popping freshness.

I would heartily recommend this to all even for the sake of an hours drive from the city!

They also serve locally produced organic bottle iced tea from the Functional Beverage Company in Coldstream which was a perfect accompaniment to extraordinary cuisine!

• Visited August 2012