“Mountain Grand regular Chef from Melb” 4 of 5 stars

Mountain Grand Guest House
126 Grampians Rd, Halls Gap, Victoria 3381, Australia   |
Ranked #9 of 11 Hotels in Halls Gap
Melbourne, Australia
“Mountain Grand regular Chef from Melb”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed October 21, 2012

I have spent 2 weeks a year in Halls Gap for the last 4 years and have always stayed at the Mountain Grand. What makes it enjoyable for someone like myself, who has a very hectic working life in melbourne, is that even during the peak times in halls gap, you can virtually have the place to yourself and enjoy the quietness of the area without any interuptions. I have stayed in many hotels and have found the staff at the Mountain Grand to be friendly and non intrusive, which is what I look for when I`m on holidays. I spend most of the days out hiking and its always nice to come back to a nice hot shower and a comfortable bed or just to lazy about in the foyer or the gardens with a good book to read and not be constantly interupted by staff or other guests. Also what makes it great is that it is located in the heart of Halls Gap, which means everything is within walking distance. Really recommend the Mountain Grand to those who simply just want a quiet place to stay for a weekend or even a week or two. I have met many people whilst staying at the mountain grand and its nice to be around people who respect the quietness of the place and that youre there to relax.

• Stayed July 2012, traveled solo

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (14)
Bristol
1 of 5 stars Reviewed July 15, 2012

More Bucket than "Boutique". The accommodation experience was excruciating made tolerable only by the fun we had with the other 4 guests laughing about how bad it was. Don, our evasive host and the only staff member we ever came across, epitomised Basil Fawlty with a good dose of Mr Scrooge. The place has an impressive frontage that belies a characterless and dank interior. It appears that the ongoing "work in progress" died many years ago along with the owner's enthusiasm. The public rooms were dingy, cold and drab. The bedrooms (we inspected 3) were all small and basic (not even a picture on the walls and no TV). The rooms were not cleaned nor the beds made up. I felt taken advantage of; for example, the charge for a breakfast was $26 per person and there was only one unspectacular cooked option. The accommodation failed to live up to the website's expectations. In summary, it is over-priced, offers minimal service and is run-down. Sorry for inconveniencing you, Don.

Room Tip: Leave nothing to chance. Know exactly what you are getting and how much it is going to cost.
  • Stayed July 2012, traveled as a couple
4 of 5 stars Reviewed June 29, 2012

My husband and I spent a lovely winter break at the Mountain Grand Guest House last week. This is our second stay and we had an enjoyable, relaxing time. Enjoyed the beautiful surroundings of the Grampians and some of it's wonderful walks. Don made us feel very welcome and we just loved the home style meals and the local wine. I am sure this will not be our last visit.

Adelaide, Australia
4 of 5 stars Reviewed June 23, 2012

Wow! what a great 3 day break we have had at The Mountain Grand Guest House, Halls Gap. This is our 3rd time we have stayed and the friendly atosphere gets better each time we go. We've met so many friendly people from all parts of Australia.
The host Don Calvert was so accommodating and helpful particularly as I have MS and use a walking stick. The evening meals were home cooked by Don's wife Kay and they were to die for they were excellent highly recommended.
The bedrooms were cosy, clean and comfortable with two large lounges to socialise in.
I can't praise Don, Kay and their staff sufficiently.

4 of 5 stars Reviewed June 21, 2012

I can honestly write that on first impressions I was a little worried but as Don made us feel welcome and as we walked into the front foyer of the guest house I soon changed my mind it felt so warm and inviting and I did feel at home .Oh yes a few might say that the rooms are a bit small but for me who wants to spend all their time in there anyway I loved the lounge area where we could sit and feel quite at home and then you talk to other people .Don made us feel at home and went out of his way as we were the only couple there one night and everything was done to make us feel comfortable .And the food was so yummy all served lovely and hot and quite quickly too . And to top it off we scored some beautiful weather it was our first visit to the area and it wont be our last .Thanks Don I hope that next time I will also get to hear some of your music.Graham & Rosalee Harper

Geelong, Victoria, Australia
4 of 5 stars Reviewed June 18, 2012

My husband and I have just spent a few days relaxing at the charming Mountain Grand Guest House in the beautiful Grampian Mountain area of Victoria. We were well looked after by our host, Don, and his staff. Fortified by a delicious cooked breakfast, we set off to explore the region. By lunchtime, we were ready for the excellent packed lunch and in the evening we enjoyed a lovely dinner in the quaint dining room.
Our room was comfortable and quiet. It really was a great place to unwind and very good value. We would recommend it to anyone looking for a relaxing holiday in the Grampians.

1 of 5 stars Reviewed June 16, 2012 via mobile

Our stay was a bit of a nightmare. Bought online, the self rated stars sucked us in.. Let's just say we did not get what we paid for, and each time I queried anything with the host Don I was told "you need to read your itinerary!!!" Had Don stopped talking over us for a minute and perused our itinerary he would have had to agree that the information on both the type of accommodation and the products provided were extremely misleading. All things considered, we put it down to a ridiculous adventure that we lived through once and would NEVER do again. Room was average, service rude and scattered and host made us feel as though we were interrupting his day off or something when we requested to check out at 9am. We must've interrupted him refilling the single bowl of tinned fruit that was affectionately known as "continental breakfast." I struggle to accept that the majority of these positive reviews have been written by someone without a financial interest in this "guest house." I appreciate that Don may put effort in, but please in future call a spade a spade so that guests have a realistic idea of what they are signing up for.

• Stayed October 2011

Been to Mountain Grand Guest House? Share your experiences!