“Beautiful and modest” 4 of 5 stars

Halls Gap Log Cabins
245 Grampians Road, Halls Gap, Victoria 3381, Australia   |
“Beautiful and modest”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed April 17, 2013 via mobile

My husband and I have been here the last two summers, and plan on going back this winter.
It is such a beautiful location, you can head out your back door and walk strait into national parks, feed the wildlife.. It's perfect.
The owners are delightful and the town is quaint.
While the cabins are not fancy and modern, most have a great spa, a fire place, are spacious and fully equipped. They are clean and homely.
Perfect for any occasion. Big fan.

• Stayed May 2012

Business
Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (10)
Melbourne, Australia
3 of 5 stars Reviewed January 2, 2013 via mobile

We stayed here over the new year and agree with others that the cabins are lovely and clean. I feel for the price you pay that some of the rules were a bit much. Eg that all dishes had to be washed etc for 200+ per night they should provide this service for guests as you would receive elsewhere. Also the owners live in the front cabin their window faces the pool area they sort of sit there and are visible and appears that they are watching you a lot it can be a bit off putting though they are a lovely couple and very helpful. Nice place and I do recommend it for families.

Stayed January 2013, traveled with family
Adelaide, South Australia, Australia
5 of 5 stars Reviewed December 12, 2012 via mobile

Very nice cabins, well set up and with a nice pool.

All the self catering facilities and nice bedrooms, bathroom, kitchen, dining and lounge.

Kangaroos and deer by the dozens was a real bonus.

Great place and would recommend it.

• Stayed December 2012
Melbourne, Australia
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 25, 2012

Mobs of friendly lazy Kangaroos hang around the clearing adjacent to the property by the river. Some even come wandering up and feed on the grass directly outside your cabins. The cabins themselves are well-equipped with kitchens, cutlery and crockery. reverse-cycle air-conditioning and the bathroom has a good integrated heat, lighting and fan unit. The owners are polite and friendly and the place has a great vibe.

Room Tip: Rooms down the very back allow you to look out your window and see 50 kangaroos
Sydney, Australia
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 19, 2012

We stayed in the Log Cabins in October on the coldest day of the year, yes in October for those in the northern hemisphere it is mid spring in Australia and should have been in the 20s. We had not planned our trip to the Grampians it was at the suggestion of a lovely lady working in the Melbourne Tourist Office who advised us that we may really enjoy them and it put us in the right direction for our next destination Bendigo so we did a giant loop.

We drove up from Great Ocean Road from Port Campbell it was around 3 or 4 hours but we stopped at Dunkeld for lunch and arrived about 1.30 we had a good look around for accommodation as the weather was so bad I wanted an wood fire so if we were stuck in our room at least it would have ambiance we inspected 5 properties before settling on Halls Gap Log Cabins ($135)and we were so glad we did what a delightful place. Rosie the owner is such a lovely woman so friendly and she has made this motel so homely you could easily live in it she has added some nice touches in the rooms to make your stay seem like home. After a few hiccups I finally got the fire going and yes it was as relaxing as I hoped for as well as warm as toast in fact warmer.

The cabins are very spacious The lounge kitchen dining is open plan then the spa bath bathroom is very large the spa easily holding 2 and I'm no small fry followed by the bedroom built in robe plus rocking chair and freestanding mirror and very pretty wrought iron bed with french doors that open up to endless fields. We didn't hear any noise. There was mountain views front and back.

The grounds were extensive and we had resident roos and emus as well as visiting deer so fantastic for city dwellers. In the morning the roos came right up to the room and one had a little joey. We had not been able to see much on our arrival day as the weather didn't clear until around 5pm but we had a look around the lake/dam and a walk to nearby falls. Before leaving Rosie gave a few suggestion for lookouts as we didn't have time for hiking and The first one Boroko lookout was stunning we had a little visitor who knocked on our car window for food a butcher bird I was quite surprised as they are not that friendly it was really novel. It was lucky we got there fairly early as the weather began to close in whilst we were there but not before we had soaked up the views.

Overall I enjoyed the Grampians and would return in late summer or early autum so the weather would be more friendly and I would love to stay with Rosie again our stay was very enjoyable.

Room Tip: Probably look at back rooms for animal experience
Adelaide, Australia
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 18, 2012

My wife and I spent 4 nights there from Adelaide Hills 12th-16th October (decided to try an alternative to our favourite Flinders Ranges camping trip) - fantastic! The cabins are off the main road running into Halls gap - far enough away to be quiet but great connections to the local sights and walks. The cabins seem to be placed in their own Eden - lots of grazing Kangaroo, Emu, Deer and Duck all day and every day - walk through them on a circuit walk past the Information Centre (up the track a bit) and the other side of the creek. Can't recommend highly enough!

Perth, Australia
5 of 5 stars Reviewed September 17, 2012

This place is unbelievably easy to be in, and would be perfect for a honeymoon, or for a writer's retreat, or for anyone wanting that combination of a restful holiday with all mod cons and a chance to spend time in a lovely corner of the world. The owners/hosts are there if you need them, but give their guests privacy in their own individual cabins. The cabins are mostly in duplex pairs, but once at home in your own luxurious self-contained cabin, you are totally unaware of any neighbours.(Except for the kangaroos, including females with joey in pouch, who come right to your door from the wilderness behind the cabin, and practically eat crusts from your hand) The township is about 2 km away, and a walk up to LiveFast cafe is a glorious way to start any day. I came without a car, and during my stay, Bard had to go to hospital for a health emergency, so Rosie was managing the place on her own, but she still kindly found the time to me a lift to catch the bus, and helped me find somewhere to leave my luggage until the bus left. Rosie also warned me to bring my own food, because food prices are high, (eg Soy milk cost about half as much again as in Melbourne) and I was glad to have prepurchased my own vegetables and dairy products. Coming to Halls Gap by public transport works fine, and there are good walks available from the flat but a car opens up the choices for exploring the amazing landscape etc, and I will drive myself next time.I was warned that driving at dawn or dusk is slow because the kangaroos hop in front of you with no warning. Pricewise, the five nights for the price of four midweek brings this venue down to only about $10 more a night than some of the standard, ordinary places in town.

Room Tip: I had unit 3 and it was lovely, with the back view onto the grassy riverflats abound with Kangaroos...
  • Stayed September 2012, traveled solo

Been to Halls Gap Log Cabins? Share your experiences!