“Lunch @ The Billy Tea Rooms” 1 of 5 stars
Review of Glenrowan Dad and Dave's Billy Tea Rooms and Accommodation

Glenrowan Dad and Dave's Billy Tea Rooms and Accommodation
We can't find prices for this accommodation
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this accommodation, but we can search other options in Glenrowan
Glenrowan Dad and Dave's Billy Tea Rooms and Accommodation
39 Gladstone St, Glenrowan, Victoria 3675, Australia   |
Wangaratta, Australia
“Lunch @ The Billy Tea Rooms”
1 of 5 stars Reviewed September 22, 2012

Visited the Billy Tea Room for lunch with a friend. The waitress was talking to my friend the whole time (they knew each other) so took quite awhile to get our very simple orders taken. I ordered chips and gravy. A bowl of chips arrived - no gravy. When Glenys finally stopped talking to my friend, I asked for gravy. Eventually, I was given a jug with brown lumps.
Next was a banana split. It eventually arrived, and, because Glenys was now talking to another local in the corner of the room, she plonked the dish on the table and shoved it toward me. If I had not acted quickly, it would have landed in my lap. I picked up the spoon only to discover it had dried egg on it. The dishes etc didn't look none too clean either. Nor did the table.
The chairs look very rustic and "bushy" but are absolute torture on your buttocks. I wondered why everyone else preferred to sit outside on the more conventional benches.
After 5 minutes on these chairs I understood.
C. Dewan

• Stayed September 2012, traveled with friends

9 people have reviewed this hotel

Solo
Business
Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room Tips
Sydney, Australia
5 of 5 stars Reviewed February 4, 2012

We have stayed here 3 times now. At $110 per night, it is only fractionally more expensive than the local motel but is a fully self contained townhouse syle addition to the back of the tearooms. You have your own area to park in the back yard and a covered place for your car.
Glenrowan at night is very very quiet. This is why a nice warm place with a lounge, kitchen, laundry (incl clothes dryer), bathroom and two bedrooms upstairs is so wonderful for a family of 4.
There are 3 split air-conditioners, one downstairs and one in each bedroom so you modify the temperature to suit your individual needs. Delightfully warm in winter and nicely cool for our recent (and first) summer visit, I just can't fault this accommodation.
You can bring your own food to cook although there is a pub only 5 minutes walk away along the almost deserted road through town at night. Hearty pub-style country meals are available but do check opening hours as the pub closes fairly early. The bistro is not open Monday nights and there is no alternative eateries in town. There is a BP service centre 5 minutes drive away towards Wangaratta (with Maccas if you must). Benalla is about 20 mins away with lots of choices for food.
You can’t go past breakfast at the tea rooms though. Anytime after 8am, open the door from your accommodation and walk straight into the tea rooms. Linda will provide you with a big breakfast for $10 if you have stayed in the accommodation (normally $15). Bacon, sausage, eggs, tomato, toast, juice and coffee included!
Glenrowan is ideally located to use as a base for many activities in the area. There are several historic locations within 2 hours drive as well as interesting regional towns such as Bright, Rutherglen, Yarrawonga and even Echuca a little further away. While we have stayed for 3 nights once, we have also used it as an overnight stop en route to and from Melbourne, just 3 hours away. A visit to the animated show next door to the tea rooms is also a highlight.
My final word is on the owner, Linda. A more “motherly” figure you could never find. From the moment you arrive until you leave, she is fantastic. If you are arriving after 5pm, she will leave the outside light on and the heating / cooling on to ensure you are comfortable from the moment you arrive. On our last visit (Jan 2012) Linda told us that she was attempting to sell the business for family reasons. We never want her to leave but wish her all the best for the future. We hope that the new owners, whoever they are, continue to keep the bar as high as Linda has done over the years we have visited.

Room Tip: Only one unit at this acccommodation