“Been a regular diner” 4 of 5 stars

Dining options: Reservations
Dining options: Reservations
“Been a regular diner”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed September 23, 2013

I've been a regular diner at Indian Mahal since its' opening. Not sure about other reviews "change of ownership" as Khatri has been, and still is the owner/chef/operator. I can only conclude that his absence due to trips back to Nepal can explain this. However, I can understand the comment "to much salt", having eaten here many times I have experienced this problem on one occasion, and to tell the truth it was difficult to eat. Enquiries at the time revealed that Khatri was in fact overseas and a different cook was on, I might add that this instance was an isolated case and occured a couple of years ago.
Regardless of the above I can thoroughly recommend this restaurant, again as others have reviewed, the portions are of a good size, with flavours subtle if that's the way you like it, or more confronting (hot) if that's your medicine. The menu is a mix of Indian and Nepalese, it's interesting to experience the difference and subtlety of flavours between both sides of this menu.
Two points of recommendation, try the Sunday Lunch - always fun, especially if Khatri decides to sing and the Seafood Platter is great.
PS. my 18 month old grandaughter loves the food, don't suppose the fact that her name is Indi has anything to do with it??

• Visited September 2013
    • 4 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 5 of 5 stars Food

58% Recommend
Tooradin, Australia
“Disappointed at the inconsistencies!”
2 of 5 stars Reviewed July 13, 2013

Menu states "Free* 1 Roti, 2pcs Pappadam, Salad & Chutney with every Takeaway". Twice we have had missing freebies so tonight I called to explain we did not receive a salad and the chutney (to dip our lonely pappadams in!) with our order of butter chicken and large rice. I was hoping to have them confirm their mistake and just to advise of the inconsistency. Instead I was told that the asterisk* means that you only get free what goes with your order and when I did receive all free items it was a mistake. When I asked to speak to the manager to express my frustration at this, I was told they were not there and the 7 other people that were in the shop when I picked up my order had also gone home (at 6pm). The point is when it says you receive something free, you expect to receive this... Every time! Not just what suits on the day!

We drive 20 mins to Indian Mahal and 20 mins home and have recommended to family and friends because their food has been delicious! We will now be ordering more locally, it's a shame to have lost a customer over what started as such a small issue and that the manager did not have the chance to diffuse the situation.

Visited July 2013
Frankston, Australia
“Great find in Baxter”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed June 9, 2013

We visited this restaurant for the first time and were very happy. Food was great! The service was excellent and so was the price. Great atmosphere and so close to home. The only criticism, there was no music. We will definitely be coming back to this little gem.

• Visited June 2013
    • 4 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 5 of 5 stars Food
“Really nice Indian.”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed April 16, 2013

I really love Indian food and had been told about this place for years - finally decided to try it. We have had takeaway from here quite a few times now and dined in once. The food is really nice - decent servings and interesting food - you can't find a goat curry everywhere! My son loves the Butter Chicken. Always pleased and happy with the food.

• Visited March 2013
    • 3 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 4 of 5 stars Food
Melbourne, Australia
“Excellent Local Indian Food in Baxter”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed January 11, 2012 via mobile

Good value. The onion bhaji's & samosa's are great I agree. Much better now than in the beginning. Initially the food was too salty but under the new management it offers excellent value & taste as a local Indian restaurant

• 5 of 5 stars Atmosphere