“Overpriced, but Creswick is a gem” 3 of 5 stars
Review of Novotel Forest Resort Creswick

You added Novotel Forest Resort Creswick to your Saves list
Novotel Forest Resort Creswick
4.0 of 5 Hotel   |   1500 Midland Highway, Creswick, Victoria 3363, Australia   |
Offers & Announcements
Free Breakfast Offer
Ranked #1 of 2 Hotels in Creswick
Melbourne
“Overpriced, but Creswick is a gem”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed January 27, 2010

Although we stayed here back in early November, I needed some time to simmer down after our very disappointing stay before I wrote a balanced review. That should give you a hint....

I have generally been very pleased with the Novotel chain (I stay with them frequently on business) and booked three nights in an Executive Suite over the Melbourne Cup weekend.

Our room appeared to be very well furnished (2 plasma screens, huge bed, large spa) but the kitchenette was woefully equipped. No cutlery, no crockery (not even a plate!), and just a microwave and fridge. We spent an entertaining few minutes working out what you could cook with that. Nuked baked beans in a mug, anyone? No list of charges for minibar drinks and snacks.

There are blackout curtains in the living area, but not in the bedroom, and consequently we were awoken by bright sunlight every morning at around 6.30am. We also had major problems with airconditioning, which did not work our whole stay.

We asked front desk repeatedly to have someone attend to it and let us know what was happening. If we had known we wouldn't have airconditioning for the entire stay, we would have asked for a different room. This was only offered on the final night at around 9pm, and by this time our belongings had taken over, and we just couldn't be bothered.

We perused the menu of the restaurant on our first morning, and with all the delicious things on offer decided to book for the following evening.

When we arrived, we were greeted with the news that a revised menu had been decided upon "because we are so busy" (the restaurant was about 1/2 full). It had about half the range of the regular menu, which meant slim pickings for my vegetarian husband.

The food was only adequate - especially at city hotel prices, and although I enjoyed a very good chocolate dessert, it was one of only three on offer, and as we left, I heard the wait staff apologise to a table of 10 that they'd run out of that one. You also need to walk all the way past the restaurant to get to the pool and gym, which feels poorly designed. I don't need to see dripping people as I'm trying to eat, nor do I like feeling like I'm intruding on someone's romantic dinner on my way to the gym!

The pool area is small but nice (overrun by unsupervised children when we were there) and the gym is next to that, and although well-equipped, we encountered unsupervised children "playing" on the equipment here too.

The parking situation does appear to be a problem during peak periods, and the drop-off area could be better supervised during this time, as we found several people overcame the issue by parking overnight in 15 minute zones.

The spa was small, but reasonably equipped. I paid for a 60 minute massage, and spent about 5 minutes in the room, on the bed, waiting for my therapist, and was putting my watch back on five minutes before the hour was up. The massage was just okay.

Creswick itself is charming - a short drive into the town offers some great food. We had three excellent pub meals (that's how much we loved it!) at the American Hotel, and a delicious brunch at a delightful cafe on the same side of the road, about half a block down.

I can also highly recommend Golden Nugget tours - the brochure is at the hotel. Take the Avoca winery tour if you like wine - it was exceptional value and loads of fun.

Check out at the Novotel Forest Resort also proved trying, as we were charged for our last night, despite the whole thing being prepaid. It was fairly quickly rectified, but sadly based on poor service at high prices I don't think I could go back. I wanted so much to like it!

• Stayed November 2009, traveled as a couple

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (137)
Vic
2 of 5 stars Reviewed January 12, 2010

Unfortunately I don't have a lot of good things to say about this resort. The staff were friendly and helpful, and the decor is simple but nice.
My partner and I visited in the busiest time of the year - Christmas. The resort was very busy and the large carpark was almost full every day.

The let downs: No cutlery provided in the room, no crockery, no toaster. The only thing provided was a kettle, two tea cups and two wine glasses. The bar fridge was packed full of things to buy, but there was no price list in the room. We had also bought our own food expecting either a grill (this is my fault, I did not check if the room we chose (standard king) had any cooking facilities) but the resort did not have any cooking facilities either, so we had to find a local barbeque about 10km's away to cook our food.

The bathroom in our room was very small and hazardous, the "double spa" just like a normal bath would only fit one person. And the shower/spa was positioned right next to the toilet leaving very little room to get out of the shower. Also being relatively short 5"3 the spa edge was quite high so everytime I got out of the shower I had to have my partner help me out as the first time I tried to get out I fell. The bathroom was way too small and too dangerous.

The resort has a restaurant buit in, we did not visit it but the resort offered room service. The prices are very high but the food on the menu is mostly healthy choices and lots of options. We ordered nachoes for $19 and it was just a normal size soup bowl. Regretfully nowhere worth $19, I could have done better quality in the microwave.

The resort boasts awesome views- there are only two types of views: 1. Golf course views and 2. The car park.

On the positive side, the resort offers a pool and gym facilities. The gym equipment was modern and the pool positioned perfectly under the sun. We did manage to get into the pool at one stage however it was usually packed with families/kids most of the day being the busiest time of the year.

The bed was extremely comfortable - As others have mentioned, the best I have ever experienced in any other hotel.

Overall, I believe for what we wanted to do, the price was overwhelming and would only recommend this hotel for business users on an overnight stay or people with too much money to spend.

• Stayed December 2009, traveled on business
Sydney
2 of 5 stars Reviewed November 23, 2009

I have always been a fan of the Accor chains - Novotel, Sofitel etc. However this time I was really let down. We went out in the evening and when we returned the car park was full. It was pouring that night and we did loops around for half an hour. With no success I went in to look for some help. I explained that we were guests and that we couldn't find any space, and was wondering if there was anything that could be done. The lady at the desk rudely told me that the entire hotel was booked out, that every car belonged to guests, so there was nothing to be done. And then she said "as I have told all guests, you can park at the grounds near the apartments". The bell boy, standing behind the desk, was laughing at our situation, whilst this lady tried to brush me away. We eventually parked at the muddy grounds away from the hotel, and had to walk back in the dark. NONE of the staff even offered an umbrella.

The entire night I could not sleep as I could hear people driving their cars in / out (thereby discrediting claims of ownership by guests). There was so much noise from the "fully booked" hotel. It was almost as if the walls were indeed paper thin.

My experience has been exceptionally disappointing. Worst of all, I later realized that the lady at the desk was actually the manager! I was shocked. I have never met a manager so rude to a guest - how could the rest of the staff do better? Room rates are not cheap and I would have expected staff, no less a manager, to be better trained. It would appear that they need a vacant hotel to be able to treat their guests better. So if you want to stay here - you should check occupancy ahead!

• Stayed November 2009, traveled with friends
Melbourne, Australia
4 of 5 stars Reviewed November 13, 2009

The hotel is more or less as new and presents really well.

Just a smidge North of Ballarat it's an easy 90-120 minute drive from Melbourne.

The golf course looked great though we didnt play as we were just out for a lazy overnight stay in the country.

The hotel seems well set up for conventions and large weddings whom I would guess are its key target market though there's just enough within driving distance to make it suitable for short stay holidayers as well. There was a convention/meeting winding up and a wedding reception commencing on the night of our stay and it didnt feel like we'd intruded on a private party or business convention at all. The spaces around the Novatel seem well thought out and allow for a good mix of different clients on any given day.

Special thanks to the check-in staff who were very quick and the whole process was really uncomplicated despite us having not stayed there before and booking through WOTIF. There was a reasonable crowd checking in for the wedding and the staff were getting through that line at a very impressive rate also.

We stayed in a Superior room King, which was modern, very well cleaned and tastefully decorated and reasonable value at the standby rate we paid.

The pool, spa and gym looked very appealing. I can't add much on the cafe or restaurant as we ate in Ballarat which is only about 15 minutes away and also has a great range of restaurants.

I'd definately consider it for a convention venue in Victoria in the future, it seems a good place for an upmarket wedding reception and a nice little bolt hole for an overnighter out of Melbourne.

• Stayed October 2009, traveled as a couple
Victoria
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 18, 2009

Very clean, ultra modern, great service with nothing being too hard. Harvest 383 was excellent. Inclose proximity to Dayelsford, Ballarat and Hepburn Springs

• Stayed October 2009, traveled with family
Melbourne
4 of 5 stars Reviewed September 30, 2009

My partner and I stayed here in September 2009 for just one night and booked a Superior Room through wotif (Incl Breakfast) for $159. Having stayed at Novotels before, we weren't expecting a gran luxe hotel, but simply the Novotel quality we have previously experienced. This hotel is the best yet within the Accor range of hotels that we've stayed in Australia-wide. The room was spacious, clean-cut and stylish. Immaculate and there's even a window to watch into the bathroom/bathroom to the room which was great as we'd be having a spa while watching tv out our bathroom window into the tv-area - Just had a little more of an intimate touch that you don't find often. The room also has a blacony with outdoor setting, and with being on the 3rd floor (oit of the 4), even though we had a car park view, it was great, you could still view the hotel lake and life-size chess board area. Breakfast was hearty, had alot of variety and the service was great. One thing though that we had noticed was the size of the pool. It is infact quiet small, but this didnt bother us since we were there in winter, and only for one night so we werent doing any swimming anyhow, but the website made it look larger. Other than that, I would definately recommend this hotel, it is definatly stunning for its position. A gem in the forest!

• Stayed September 2009, traveled as a couple
Newcastle NSW
4 of 5 stars Reviewed September 3, 2009

We stayed at The Novotel Forest Resort Creswick for 5 nights in the middle of August. The Resort was almost desserted during the weekdays (lovely and quiet felt at time we had the Resort to ourselves except for some conference guests). Overall we had an enjoyable stay and some of the highlights were the following:
A day out at the Ballarat races - lovely country race setting and the meal package in the members stand was brilliant (just make sure you have room for all 3 courses)
The Forest Resort golf course is a nice course that has some very enjoyable holes (would like to see it in summer without the winter growth but the greens were great) definietly well worth a round or 2
As others have mentioned the meals at the Resort itself can be expensive we thoruoughly enjoed the 2 course meal (set menu) The service was a high standard and little touches like bringing coffees up to our room after the meal was worth the extra money for one night at least
Not 100% sure of the full name but the Smokey Town Cafe in Creswick itself serves lovely meals and has a nice country town feel to it. We definetly found this to be the best option outside of Ballarat
Our room was lovely thanks to Brodie from Reception who suggested the upgrade option. Brodie was very helpful and left a nice welcoming card and bottle of chapagne in the room (nice touch and good service)
Some feedback for the Resort and things to look out for
Seems like a small thing but the golf course only has distance markers in the middle of the fairways rather than distance poles either side of the fiarway like most courses. If you are like me and miss most fairways you have little idea of distance from the green, very frustrating to hit a straight shot only to see it fall short or go long of the green.
On reflection the Resort isn't really a Resort it is more a 4-storey Motel that thinks it is a Resort. They tend to charge like Resort and I feel they could back their prices off slightly
The meals are too expensive while the quality and service were really good I hate paying for a meal and then having to pay $14 for a side of greens and some fries
A better deal for guests in relation to golf would be good perhaps a 2 for 1 deal or play 2 rounds and get the third free

We would definitely recommend the Resort. For a really nice relaxing stay I would suggest incorporating midweek into your stay and if you have access to a car you can eat out at Creswick and Ballarat but the Resort restaurant was definietly nice for a special dinner

Stayed August 2009, traveled as a couple

Been to Novotel Forest Resort Creswick? Share your experiences!