“Easy and fun day trip” 5 of 5 stars

Book ahead on Viator
Top Rated
$131*
and up
Puffing Billy Steam Train, Yarra Valley and...
Ranked #3 of 7 Attractions in Belgrave
Type: Scenic Railroads, Landmarks
More attraction details
Owner description: Puffing Billy is a genuine relic of our more leisurely days. An historic steam train still running regularly in the mountain district it was built to serve at the turn of the century. The Railway is the major survivor of four experimental lines used to develop rural areas in the early 1900s. Puffing Billy is now a major tourist attraction, its operation depending on hundreds of dedicated volunteers.
Melbourne, Australia
7 attraction reviews
“Easy and fun day trip”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 29, 2013 via mobile

Puffing Billy can be easily reached by suburban train. It is the best way of experiencing the typical Australian bush environment whilst travelling on a genuine reminder of life as it was a century ago. Highly recommended for interstate and overseas visitors.

Visited December 2012

London, United Kingdom
“Puffin Billie Australia”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 25, 2013

On my recent trip 3rd visit to Melbourne , I took my 3rd ride on Puffin Billie. The staff are so friendly and so colourfully informative. I have found that there is always something new to learn and see.
The conductors are very welcoming and obviously know their jobs well .If I were fortunate enough to visit your wonderful city Melbourne, it would not be complete without a trip on Puffin Billie.

Visited January 2013
Bendigo
“Great day out.”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 24, 2013

Hi Puffing Billy team,
Visited in the school holidays, havent been since I was a kid (many years ago!) My husband and me braved the winter weather for a drive and ended up at the Puffing Billy.
Lovely friendly staff with a lady head conductor giving informative commentary, answering all the questions the children asked, which were many. she was patient with them and I found them very amusing. The trip was great and at a reasonable price. I wouldn't hesitate to recommend the trip to anyone.
Thanks guys,
Sue from Bendigo.

Visited July 2013
Melbourne, Australia
40 attraction reviews
“Love it, love it, love it”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 24, 2013

I took the children here for a train ride and we all had a great time.
I would only recommend to go as far as the lakeside station as beyond that is nothing happening.
We went to the end of the railway line but there is NOTHING at all for tourists to do. Just one small cafe, it's a waste of time and money.
But the train ride was great.

Visited June 2013
Newport, United Kingdom
“Puffin billie”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 22, 2013

I recently visited Melbourne , and was told a good day trip would be to visit and ride on Puffin Billie. I did and experienced a lovely day out. The ride was wonderful through the bush, seeing first hand the wonderful scenery.The conductors on board were both helpful and informative. I had some lovely photos taken with the conductors who were very obliging. I recommend this to anyone I hear saying they are visiting Melbourne.

Visited November 2012
PuffingBillyR, Marketing Executive at Puffing Billy Railway, responded to this review, July 23, 2013
Hi Carole C

Thanks for your review. We are thrilled to hear that you had a good time!

Kind regards from the Puffing Billy team