“Love it, love it, love it” 5 of 5 stars

Visit like an insider
Top Rated
$127*
and up
Puffing Billy Steam Train, Yarra Valley and...
Ranked #2 of 7 things to do in Belgrave
Certificate of Excellence 2014
More attraction details
Owner description: Puffing Billy is a genuine relic of our more leisurely days. An historic steam train still running regularly in the mountain district it was built to serve at the turn of the century. The Railway is the major survivor of four experimental lines used to develop rural areas in the early 1900s. Puffing Billy is now a major tourist attraction, its operation depending on hundreds of dedicated volunteers.
Melbourne, Australia
49 attraction reviews
“Love it, love it, love it”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 24, 2013

I took the children here for a train ride and we all had a great time.
I would only recommend to go as far as the lakeside station as beyond that is nothing happening.
We went to the end of the railway line but there is NOTHING at all for tourists to do. Just one small cafe, it's a waste of time and money.
But the train ride was great.

Visited June 2013

• Greek first
Newport, United Kingdom
“Puffin billie”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 22, 2013

I recently visited Melbourne , and was told a good day trip would be to visit and ride on Puffin Billie. I did and experienced a lovely day out. The ride was wonderful through the bush, seeing first hand the wonderful scenery.The conductors on board were both helpful and informative. I had some lovely photos taken with the conductors who were very obliging. I recommend this to anyone I hear saying they are visiting Melbourne.

Visited November 2012
PuffingBillyR, Marketing Executive at Puffing Billy Railway, responded to this review, July 23, 2013
Hi Carole C

Thanks for your review. We are thrilled to hear that you had a good time!

Perth, Australia
“what a great day out”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 22, 2013

I have recently again visited Melbourne, each time I go I take my grandchildren on the puffing billy, Comming from Perth I wish we had similar in not only the train but its amazing staff, they are always so helpfull and obliging the friendly conductors always give time to talk to the children and have a friendly chat as though they know you personaly.
I highly recomend this day trip.

Visited July 2013
Dear leecarol2000,

Thanks for posting your lovely review. We are delighted to hear that you enjoyed yourself! Your kind comments will be passed on to our friendly conductors.

Brisbane, Australia
“Classic Melbourne!”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 21, 2013

After living travelling extensively overseas for the past few years, on a recent trip back to Melbourne (June school holidays) I wanted to make sure our visit included a trip on Puffing Billy - we were not disappointed. Just as how I remembered it from school excursions but this time through the children's eyes. I was very impressed with all of the staff especially our train conductor who obviously loves her job.
It wasn't until after that I realised the staff are volunteers! I couldn't believe it, they don't get paid, purely for love. I recommend this for all ages and will be back when we are next in Melbourne xx

Visited June 2013
Hi Cleo201,

Thank you for your review. We are thriled to hear that you enjoyed yourself when you returned to Puffing Billy. Our railway is indeed staffed largely by volunteers; over 900 dedicated individuals give their time freely to help with the operation of our historic railway.

“A special icon!”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 19, 2013

It's always hard to return to a childhood experience as an adult ...as your expectations are so high. But, Puffing Billy is even better than I remembered it 25 years ago. Growing up, Puffing Billy was the coolest! Hang your legs over the side, check out the green grassy hills, cross the old bridge, watch the world go by and listen to the sounds of the train rattling on the track as you see the puffs of white steam billowing from the red and green carriages. I recently returned on Puffing Billy and it was just as amazing! I was lucky to experience the luncheon train which was amazing! White table cloths, beautiful food and fantastic, friendly service. We even got to meet the train driver and the conductor! Can't wait to return and take my little one year old girl. Was pleased to see it was still the same train and just as special as my memory!

Visited July 2013
Hi lawsy13,

Great to hear that you enjoyed yourself when your returned to Puffing Billy after all those years! Our railway is indeed a fond childhood memory for many Victorians - young and old.