“A unique and fun way to hear and feel history.” 5 of 5 stars

Website
Improve this listing
Ranked #2 of 11 Activities in Beechworth
More attraction details
Owner description: This is a ghost tour conducted at Mayday Hills Lunatic Asylum, Beechworth.
Melbourne, Australia
3 attraction reviews
“A unique and fun way to hear and feel history.”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 26, 2012 via mobile

This is a great tour taking in the asylum and some of the buildings. the tour is in the evening so it is darkish but that just adds to the experience and you find yourself imagining yourself in the inmates position. overall fantastic tour, we had Bronwyn as our guide, and great value for money. congratulations to beechworth ghost tours.

Sydney, Australia
71 attraction reviews
“Awesome Ghost Hunt - You have to do the tour!”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 22, 2012

Beechworth Lunatic Asylum, originally known as Mayday Hills Lunatic Asylum is a decommissioned psychiatric hospital. Established in 1867 it was operating until 1995 and it is reported that over 9,000 patients dies during this time. Treatment was harsh and many patients conditions were misunderstood.

There are stories of people committing suicide, having all of their teeth removed for biting and being given electric shock treatment. We had the fortune of being in a small tour group of 10 who were all very interested in the tour - combined with our theatrical guide it made for a fantastic night.

While we were on tour I believe we captured some great orbs. The photos were taken one after the other and the orbs can clearly be seen and then disappear. Even if you don’t believe the history of this facility is horrible but interesting. I would strongly recommend leaving the kids at home, this is no place to bring young children and bored teens would totally spoil the experience.

There was a moment when we were getting the closing comments outside one of the buildings and everyone’s nerves were frayed (although none would admit it). Carried on the chilling breeze was the most bloodcurdling growling noise that made us all jump…two possums were engaged in “Fight Club”! I am glad I know what fightling possums sound like.

Visited October 2012
Wunghnu
“Very interesting...”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed September 9, 2012

You so have to do this tour if you are stopping in Beechworth and be sure to look out for your two for the price of one tickets from your accommodation... The history, whether all truthful is facinating.

Visited September 2012
Melbourne, Australia
5 attraction reviews
“Scary fun”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 11, 2012

If you come to Beechworth, you have to do this tour! It is scary but also very informative whilst you tour the old lunatic asylum at night. I would not recommend this tour for children as it is very scary in parts. Lots of fun and take your camera!

Visited July 2012
Albury, Australia
13 attraction reviews
“history is amazing”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed July 10, 2012

the history of the old mayday hills asylum is incredible. I did a lot of reading about it before I went so I knew what to look for and I knew what buildings I was in. Whether it's haunted or not is another story - believe what you want but I did feel presence and shivers at times on the tour. I did the tour at 12am on a very cold foggy morning which added to the experience.

The buildings are incredible and definitely worth checking out if you follow ghost/haunted tours.

Visited June 2012