“A very good brunch” 4 of 5 stars

Dining options: Breakfast/Brunch, Reservations, Late Night
Melbourne
“A very good brunch”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed December 28, 2011

The breakfast menu is terrific. In addition to the usual choices, there are a number of different dishes worth trying. The ricotta hotcakes with berry compote and lemon curd was a great success, as was my Greek baked beans with pork and leek loukaniko and feta. Clean, attractive toilets are appreciated when travelling. The coffee is very good.

• Visited December 2011
    • 5 of 5 stars Atmosphere

71% Recommend
Melbourne, Australia
“Very ordinary”
2 of 5 stars Reviewed November 23, 2011

The pancakes I had were not cooked properly. Nice location but I would not go back as there are plenty of other places to choose from.

Visited November 2011
Melbourne, Australia
“One of the best restaurants on the Great ocean Road”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed August 30, 2011

Every time hubby and I visit the Coast we look forward to eating here and it never disappoints. It's not cheap.Dinner is much better value than lunch, where you pay a lot for a little. For example a succulent plate of lightly floured, pan fried calamari usually comes with something like roasted peppers and a taramasalata dip at dinner. At lunch you get the squid but nothing else.

Service is always friendly and knowledgeable. The young girls who work there know the menu well and always greet you with a smile. There are so many delicious things to choose from so Hubby and I sometimes order a few plates to share. Some of our favourites are:

- The calamari as mentioned above. Yum!
- Salt cod fritters with a homemade aioli. Four perfect oval shaped fritters lightly fried and melt in your mouth. The cod flavour is well balanced and not too overpowering as they can often be.
- It's an indulgence but we never go past the saganaki served with a quince paste.
- The chicken cooked slowly in a tagine is to die for.
- There's usually two incredibly fresh fish dishes cooked simly with something like a homemade aioli and a cucumber salad.
- If you're a pork lover, try the pork belly. It's divine.

Unfortunately dessert recently disappointed. I ordered a rum and raisin icecream that was sandwiched between to florentine biscuits. It was so rich I couldn't eat it. The ice cream was in fact plain chocolate with a few raisins (supposedly soaked in rum) scattered around the plate. The florentines were really just big thick discs of dark chocolate that were impossible to crack. The dish lacked acidity to cut through the chocolate. From now on I'll stick to the cream brulee.

A La Grecque is owned by husband and wife team Pam and Kosta Talimanidis. Pam is the chef and she lets her ingredients shine. You won't find anything too fussy on the menu. Unfortunately the most annoying thing about this place is Costa. He's the host but honestly he hangs about like a shag on a rock. He's loud, showy and a bit too familiar. We duck our heads when he comes our way and he gets the message that we're there for the food, not him. Some people enjoy his theatrics, and that's fine, but for us the real star is Pam and her wonderful Greek inspired food. That's what keeps us coming back.

• Visited August 2011
Torquay
“Excellent food, pricey but worth it”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed February 21, 2011

My wife and I visited a la grecque for lunch on a very hot day after a visit to the beach. We sat outside on the terrace in the shade of the trees which was a beautiful and relaxing setting. The service was excellent, not too fussy but there when you needed it. And the food, was really good, well cooked and presented and with wonderful flavours.

In terms of value it was quite expensive but I don't resent paying if the quality is there. My wife and I both left very happy and we will definitely return. I would probably only go occasionally due to the price, but for a special treat every now and then I would say that a la grecque is up there with the best in the stretch from Torquay through to Aireys.

• Visited January 2011
Melbourne
“Great food, not cheap”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed March 27, 2010

I have eaten several times at a la grecque and always enjoyed it. The dishes are high quality, tasty and well arranged. The taste is clean and original. The wines are varied and leave a range of choices. The service is attentive and tries to accommodate the guest. For example on occasion they made a special breakfast dish for my small daughter. The restaurant is on the pricey side and people looking for a cheap dish should not go there. It is better to go there for a special occasion and enjoy it.

• 4 of 5 stars Food