“Consistently good” 4 of 5 stars

Dining options: Lunch, Dinner, Late Night
Sydney
“Consistently good”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed March 15, 2011

We had made a last minute decision to try our luck for a table for two on a Friday night. We left our name with Steve who promised to get us from the bar and he was as good as his word. We decided to go straight to mains and chose the veal rump with buttered leeks and potatoes, the other main was duck with daikon and ginger and served with a potato galette. The veal was cooked to order and cooked to medium rare perfection. It was tender and succulent and beautifully presented. The duck was lean and meaty and the galette should be served with a warning from a heart specialist! Rich and very buttery, truly sublime. This is a busy French inspired bistro. Always busy, with friendly professional staff this well known establishment has been around for around 16 years so they are clearly doing lots of things well. It can be noisy, especially if you are near a large table, but that is part of the atmosphere. It is not a cheap night out, but offers great food at a fair price.

• Visited March 2011
    • 3 of 5 stars Atmosphere

Sydney, Australia
“Can't get in to Bistro Moncur? Don't go to Moncur Terrace upstairs!”
1 of 5 stars Reviewed January 12, 2011

We were shut out on getting a table at Bistro Moncur so it was recommended that we try the upstairs restaurant called Moncur Terrace. That was a mistake. Just a plain and simple horrible experience. Poor on food service and poor on customer service.
I was with a small group of four people and I had a specific dietary requirement that evening where I was limited to eating either eggs or prawns for my 4th and final meal of the day. The way they were cooked wasn't an issue but those were the only two ingredients I was supposed to eat. Seeing that there were salads on the menu with cut hard boiled eggs on it as well as a prawn dish, I felt comfortable. When I was told that the prawn was in a cake I took a pass and requested some hard boiled eggs. Amused, our lovely Brazilian waitress said she could offer me one hardboiled egg as a started (with the other's starters) and then two additional hard boiled eggs as my main. I was ecstatic until the floor manager, Karen arrived to inform me that the chef, Andy wouldn't fulfil my request.. The kitchen wasn't busy so it made no sense why such a simple request couldn't be met.
To make a longer story shorter, I had nothing to eat because boiling water is obviously over Andy's head and Karen doesn't know how to operate the floor of a restaurant to try to cater to customers. My guests went on with their meals at my request and I sipped wine with no food. Is that legal?

• Visited November 2010
    • 4 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 1 of 5 stars Food
Marcus Beach
“disappointing”
2 of 5 stars Reviewed December 15, 2010

During a shopping trip from interstate, we were 'doing' Queen Street Woollahra. Bistro Moncur for lunch - great staff, friendly atmosphere, but disappointing food. Galantine of duck and foie gras was rubbery and tasteless, cheese souffle swimming in oil, ravioli just ok. Disappointing considering we thought we were going to one of the pick spots.

• 4 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 2 of 5 stars Food
sydney
“I really like Bistro Moncur's signature...”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed October 5, 2010

I really like Bistro Moncur's signature dish, French Onion Soufflé Gratin. It was cooked to perfection. Great service from the friendly staff too.

• 3 of 5 stars Atmosphere
Bangkok
“Comfortable and quiet location”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed August 26, 2010

Great place to take a break over a lunch or coffee with friends.

• 5 of 5 stars Atmosphere