Jim Oliver's Smoke House Restaurant and Old General Store
Menu
Improve this listing
Ranked #3 of 22 Restaurants in Monteagle
Cuisines: American, Barbecue, Dessert, Family Fare
Good for: Families with children, Large groups, Doing business, Local cuisine, Special occasions, Entertaining clients, Dining on a budget
Dining options: Breakfast/Brunch, Lunch, Dinner, Reservations, Takeout, Buffet, Late Night, Dessert
Description: Since 1960,Jim Oliver’s Smoke House has been serving up delicious and fun Southern Hospitality at the _Restaurant and _shopping at the Old General Store. _Live Music every weekend by a special Nashville Music Artist guest, No Cover Charge, Bring the Family, food and beverages served during show. Regional Southern cookin’ offering three generations of family recipes on the menu and the daily buffet & Salad Bar, Homemade everyday! The Old General Store has Vintage and Nostalgic merchandise_old fashioned _candies_antiques_homemade fudge_Ice Cream_ Moonshine Museum Attraction, and the_Louvin Brothers _Country Music _Museum. /live music/shopping/lodging/cabins/Sewanee/Winchester/ Cowan/Manchester/South Pittsburg/Tullahoma/AEDC/Nissan/Chattanooga/ Lookout Mountain/McMinville/Murfreesboro/Desserts/Coffee/Full Service_Childrens Menu_Family_Regional_BBQ_Breakfast_Lunch_Dinner
“Wow!!!”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed February 18, 2014

If you are on I-24 and hungry, stop here. My pulled pork on sourdough was unbelievable. Onion rings and fried green tomatoes were great. I had fried apple/cinnamon pie with homemade vanilla ice cream for dessert. This was an unbelievably good meal. Good service, too.

hamper1960, Owner at Jim Oliver's Smoke House Restaurant and Old General Store, responded to this review, February 21, 2014
Thank you so much for your review and for your business, we appreciate both. I will pass this on to our staff to keep them pumped up. Come see us whenever you are over Monteagle mountain.

Magna, Utah
“Dream about this spot all the time!!”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 25, 2014

I am so glad we got off at this exit and found this spot by mistake. I do a lot of traveling for work and this place is my #1 spot for Southern/country/real home cooking..( not enough words to explain) we were there for Superbowl weekend and the place was not packed so we thought they would have had a shorter menu.. NOPE! Everything was great. We had to go back for breakfast and it was packed then. I recommend doing for breakfast and staying for Dinner if possible. Dinner hit the spot, please try the fried pies, I told myself I didn't want one them and I dream about them all the time, I regret not trying one. Food was so good we are planning a trip back, that should say something because we live in the West Coast now. I only wish they mailed Fried Pies, I would pay some money just to try one.

• Visited February 2013
    • 5 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 5 of 5 stars Food
hamper1960, Owner at Jim Oliver's Smoke House Restaurant and Old General Store, responded to this review, January 28, 2014
If you like the Smoke House, you probably really love it. We get this response a lot. Same family owned and operated since 1960; mother, father, brother, sisters, grandma, aunts, uncles, cousins; pretty much the whole mountain community of families have worked here at some point since we opened the doors in 1960. That's why our staff maintains that friendly family "how ya'll doin" attitude year in and out; cause pretty much we've all grown up right here working together; pretty darn tight knit group. We've got unique things we've put up for customers to look at, great food from generations of mountain families, and a warm comfortable place to stay awhile if you'd like. Thank you for your comments and keep them coming. Ya'll come see us often, we appreciate your business and your support.
Kennesaw, Georgia
“I loved it so much, I took the time to email the owner the following email about the experience ...”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 22, 2014

J.D.,

I love it every time that I come into your restaurant. I live north of Atlanta, but since I'm the assistant organizer of the Chattanooga Hiking Meetup, our group is often out your way hiking. Last weekend, some of us were out hiking the Grundy Forest Day Loop with Ranger Jason Reynolds. I was going to suggest everyone go to your restaurant for dinner, but when the hike was over, I went to the restroom first while just about everyone else just went straight to their cars. When I came out, everyone had left the park except the woman that I carpooled with. We were all so busy listening to Ranger Jason on the hike and taking pictures, that I forgot to discuss going out to eat afterward. Anyway, the woman that I rode with had never been to your restaurant before, but after that visit, she was completely sold.

Not only was your food exceptionally good as always, but the main reason that I am emailing you is to let you know the difference that your staff make. From the moment we walked in, we were greeted. Our waitress was excellent. She answered questions, explained things, checked on us, kept our drinks filled, etc. Sounds regular, but she was just super sweet. The part that made the difference with her is that she exhibited that she genuinely cared. A lot of times when you go to a restaurant, you are treated as a customer.

Then there was smokin mike. My friend started off by asking him if she was able to get some pulled pork for an event that she was doing at her home later that week. (That's how much she liked it). Well, he didn't just answer her questions and rush her off. Again, my friend was made to feel like she mattered, and he took as much time as she needed without making her feel rushed. He also took the time to explain about several different sauces. During this time, the ribeye steaks that he had been smoking were done. He gave her a sample, and I don't think I've EVER seen her react that way. She kept saying oh my gosh, oh my gosh. She loved it. She bought pork and sauce, and has already said that she definitely wants to go back there the next time we're out that way on a hike. I even texted a picture of your logo to a hiker that wasn't on the hike that day, and he was jealous.

When smokin mike was sharing about the sauces, he pulled a piece of meat and dipped it into the sauce with peach and sriracha. It tasted really good, but he dipped a LOT of sauce on it, and sriracha is hot stuff, so it made me really thirsty. I went back to the counter where the servers were, and asked if I could get a to go cup of pepsi (I'd already just had some when eating my dinner). I told them about the hot sauce, and suddenly 3 staff quickly started running about to help me. I was impressed how genuinely helpful they were all trying to be. Even the ones that weren't my servers.

When walking around the store, I was talking to one of the men in the shop area. I said that everything was so good, but that I was stuffed. He proceeded to tell me that if I ate a piece of the peppermint fudge, that it would help my tummy, as he put it. So, we walked to the fudge counter. As he was cutting a piece, he explained about the peppermint oil.

My friend even bought 6 fried pies after I kept telling her how good they are. Usually she watches her money, but she was just so happy with her visit, that she got the pork, the sauce, and the pies.

Your staff aren't just waitresses, cashiers, meat smokers, and gift shop sales staff ..... they are people that know how to make a person (notice I didn't use the word customer, but rather person) feel genuinely cared for. You've got the quality product to keep people coming back, but the way folks feel treated is what they often talk about when telling others about it as well, and makes you stand out even more.

Thank You !

• Visited January 2014
    • 5 of 5 stars Atmosphere
Chattanooga, Tennessee
“Great Homemade Food”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 20, 2014

This is one of the best places we have been to. The food was amazing. Real homemade food and the desserts are wonderful. It is a must go and try. It is right off interstate 24 and a great place to stop if you are on a long trip.. MUST GO!!!

• Visited January 2014
    • 4 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 5 of 5 stars Food
Thank you so much, we appreciate your business and hope you'll have the occasion to come see us again soon.
Nashville, Tennessee, United States
“The Blazin' Rectum pickles on the buffet won me over”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed January 19, 2014

I had THE most fun at this restaurant all because of their distinct brand of condiments, sauces, jams and jellies. Which I only noticed after I spotted the jar of Blazin' Rectum pickles on the salad bar. Back at our table I then discovered the Blazin' Rectum Wing Sauce and knew after we ate I had to go check out their store. We made a snap decision to stop here and I was glad we did. I honestly actually don't remember what we got to eat, but I do remember the buffet was loaded with selections. I remember it hit the hungry spot and our waitress was super nice though. I will never forget all the hilarious labels on their products though.

• Visited August 2013
    • 4 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 4 of 5 stars Food
hamper1960, Owner at Jim Oliver's Smoke House Restaurant and Old General Store, responded to this review, January 29, 2014
Blazin Rectums pickles will get your attention, one way or another! We got lots of sauces-relish-pickles-jams that we've added that extra little kick to. Thank you for your comments and come back to see us. Hey, look at our on line store at TheSmokeHouse.com

Travelers who viewed Jim Oliver's Smoke House Restaurant and Old General Store also viewed

Been to Jim Oliver's Smoke House Restaurant and Old General Store? Share your experiences!

If you own or manage Jim Oliver's Smoke House Restaurant and Old General Store, register now for free tools to enhance your listing, attract new reviews, and respond to reviewers.