“Pricey and nothing special, especially for children” 1 of 5 stars

Cuisines: American
Dining options: Breakfast/Brunch, Dinner, Reservations, Late Night
Dining options: Breakfast/Brunch, Dinner, Reservations, Late Night
nashville, tn
“Pricey and nothing special, especially for children”
1 of 5 stars Reviewed July 2, 2012

Very pricey. Called ahead and was told that they have children's menu, but don't expect anything healthy for children. They serve all children's items with side of homemade kettle chips which were terrible. Neither myself nor my children would eat them. Asked to substitute a fruit cup, but they said it would be an upcharge. He said that some children's items were served with fries, but he could not find a children's menu. I would have to pay for side order of fries. I was already paying $6 for bowl of macaronni and cheese which was not very special. We had a $6 cheese quesadilla which they served on a bed of wet lettuce. So my 6 year old would not eat b/c it smelled of lettuce. My brie and bacon sandwich $12 also served with homemade terrible kettle chips. May have been worth it if there was a choice of side items or small salad served with sandwich. They could have taken that lettuce for the cheese quesadilla and made a salad for me. I did not think that they offered anything that I could not have made at home, and it was not as nutritious as what I would have offered my children. If they had been more flexible about substituting a fruit cup/fries, or responding when I said that we were not fans of kettle chips, then I would have been a satisified customer. They just wanted to charge me even more.

• Visited July 2012
    • 3 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 1 of 5 stars Food
DavesModernTavern, Owner at Dave's Modern Tavern, responded to this review, August 31, 2012
Dear concerned parent,

Although we do not consider ourselves a family restaurant, we have been accomodating families with their children since we opened three years ago(six if you include the three years in Chattanooga). Yours is the first complaint that we have had concerning the children menu. May I suggest a proven child friendly restaurant in the area next time, mainly Mc Donalds?

Murfreesboro, Tennessee, USA
“Expect a restaurant like this in larger cities”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 29, 2012

Quality food well prepared in pleasant atmosphere.

Visited June 2012
Las Vegas
“Great food! Try the fried green tomatos, yum.”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed April 10, 2012

Very good service. The Caesar salad was fresh and delicious. I ordered a cup of the lobster bisque. Mistake, I should have ordered a bowl. I would have liked a herb olive oil dip for the bread. The dip served was slightly sweet which I did not like.

Visited April 2012
Chattanooga, Tennessee
“Great Food, terrific service!”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed March 26, 2012

Eclectic atmosphere, exceptional food...In house Chef...can't beat it!

Visited March 2012
Dallas, Texas
“Surprisingly Good”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed March 7, 2012

Restaurant is in the front, a bar in the back. There isn't much to recommend Dave's from the street, but it is decent inside. The tables are covered. I had the very tasty house salad of field greens with candied pecans. There was a nice thinly sliced bread served with a fabulous dipping oil. I had to ask what was in it because it was unusual and delicious. I would go again just for that! Also tried a trout, boned and served over grits.
The menu had lots of shellfish. I am allergic, but overheard lots of compliments to the chef. Excellent desserts. This is a nice chef owned restaurant and definitely worth a try.

• Visited February 2012
    • 3 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 5 of 5 stars Food

Been to Dave's Modern Tavern? Share your experiences!

If you own or manage Dave's Modern Tavern, register now for free tools to enhance your listing, attract new reviews, and respond to reviewers.