“BIG surprise - EAT HERE!” 4 of 5 stars
Review of Rydges Parramatta

You added Rydges Parramatta to your Saves list
Rydges Parramatta
4.5 of 5 Hotel   |   116 James Ruse Dr, Rosehill, Parramatta, New South Wales 2142, Australia   |
Ranked #3 of 4 Hotels in Rosehill
Brisbane
“BIG surprise - EAT HERE!”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed March 25, 2012

I stay in many Rydges around Australia and almost unanimously they are in dire need of an upgrade/refurb/makeover. But generally, very easy place to stay in, no fuss and they are our company preferred - generally well priced, restaurant in house and close to work related locales.

Staying in Rydges Parramatta a couple of weeks ago, given the lack of local food choices we gave the in-house restaurant a stab, expecting mediocre at best. ABSOLUTELY PHENOMENAL! Not flashy, not pretentious, just DAMN good food. Anthony was our cook (and great service beforehand from a Kiwi fellow, can't recall his name, sorry) Fire and Ice menu, good mix of a la carte and buffet - I got garlic prawns and eye fillet cooked for me, on the spot, with what I want. I very rarely eat steak out, as I am so often disappointed, even with the most choice cuts of meat - this was like I had cooked it myself with all due care in my own kitchen, EXACTLY how I like it.

I have to admit, I actually went back for a second serve of the same thing.

The service of the ladies working the bar was also quite good, drinks were good, we ordered simple stuff, but the cameraderie (*sp) was well appreciated as they were friendly, open, seemed happy and good conversationalists.

As to the rest of the hotel, rooms were clean, view was a horrible rooftop (I don't care about the view one little bit however and I am the best person to give these rooms too, just for those weird people who may go to parra for a holiday, go figure) lifts were old, slow and jumpy!

Front foyer was actually quite nice for Rydges and the front counter staff service was also pretty good, bar area was noisy and not really conducive to a quiet drink, however it appeared more geared toward a sports bar theme, in which case the noise fits.

If I have need to go to Rose Hill or Parra again, I know where I will be staying, and definitely where I will be eating!

• Stayed March 2012, traveled on business
ParramattaManager, Front Office Manager at Rydges Parramatta, responded to this review, March 28, 2012
Dear David,

Thank you for taking the time to pass on your feedback regarding your stay with us. We are very pleased to read that you found your restaurant experience “absolutely phenomenal!” Your comments have been passed onto Anthony and the rest of the team. Exceptional customer service is something we pride ourselves in. I would also like to take this opportunity to tell you about our great membership program, Priority Guest Rewards. This FREE membership entitles to you to many great benefits and discounts, including 20% off your restaurant bill! Visit priorityguestrewards.com.au to sign up now. David, thank you again for taking the time to provide us with feedback and we look forward to welcoming you back to Rydges Parramatta in the future.

Rydges Management

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (105)
London, United Kingdom
4 of 5 stars Reviewed March 15, 2012

We stayed at this hotel after staying in North Sydney and although it is a little further out it is a lovely hotel. We had to wait about half an hour before our room was ready but apart form that we had no problems at all. The staff were friendly and our room was always clean. The room service was speedy and worth the money. The restaurant was nice but not particularly cheap, make sure you try the beer battered bad boys (chips). The hotel is opposite Rosehill train station but trains only run every hour. instead take the bus outside the station to Lidcombe train station and this will take you straight into the city. we didnt visit many of the food places around the hotel as we tended to stick to the city. The hotel is quite far out from all the sightseeing places but we found that for the price it was a really lovely hotel and well worth the money.

• Stayed January 2012, traveled as a couple
ParramattaManager, Front Office Manager at Rydges Parramatta, responded to this review, March 18, 2012
Thank you for taking the time to leave your comments regarding your stay at Rydges Parramatta.We are glad to hear that you enjoyed your stay here, and have passed on your feedback to all staff, including the kitchen team. Thank you again for your feedback, it is vital to improve our service levels and enhance the great product Rydges Parramatta has to offer.

Regards,
Sydney Australia
5 of 5 stars Reviewed March 13, 2012

We held our son's Christening Lunch for 60 people at Steed Bar and Grill restaurant in Parramatta Rydges Hotel. We were extremely pleased with what they had to offer and what they delivered on the day. The staff at the hotel are very experienced and really nice to deal with! The lunch was a total hit with our guests. The buffet was fresh and delicious! The staff there are really nice and professional. We were very looked after and I would be pleased to hold another function and recommend to all my friends and family!

• Stayed March 2012
ParramattaManager, Front Office Manager at Rydges Parramatta, responded to this review, March 15, 2012
We are extremely pleased to hear that you, your family and your guests enjoyed your function at our hotel and found the staff to be experienced and professional, as exceptional customer service is something we pride ourselves on. Thank you for taking the time to leave your comments, we appreciate all feedback provided to us by our guests, and pass on feedback to our staff.
Kind Regards
Brisbane, Australia
3 of 5 stars Reviewed March 3, 2012

Stayed at this hotel for 3 nights... it is an old hotel. Check in was fast and efficient. The rooms are clean but the electronic key card system is crappy. I am a Rydges member and have stayed at other Rydges but this one is in need for an upgrade in certain ares.

For 3 nights, I had to get the front desk to re-program my key card 6 times ! The room which I stayed in (Room 506) the door does not properly as well. The 1st time I got in with my luggage, the door seemed to have slammed shut behind me, on closer inspection, it is not closed at all, any one could have just give it a gentle push and the door would open, so to close it, being a small person, I would have to kick it shut. Not really safe for a single female.

There is a blonde young guy ( i think he is on day day shift till evening time) he is very kind and said that if I come down for dinner or each time I walk past, I should just give him my key and he will re program my card so that I dont hjave to go up to my room, then realised that the key card cant open the door and then have to come back downstairs....

The bathroom could do with a towel hanger closer to the bathtub. There was no where to hang the towels so that when you get out of the shower/bathtub, the towels were within reach.

The rooms are adequate for a business stay. Bed is clean and comfortable, the internet connection in the room was fast which was good for working at night. The rooms could also do with a safe. That way if you leave the room for the gym or a swim, you could just lock up your valuables in the safe and not have to bring it with you at all times.

The gym has the basic equipment although another treadmill would be good as there were a few others waiting to use it as well if the females did not want to have to use the arm machines. The pool was small but enough for a swim.

The buffet breakfast was good and service was friendly as well. Drinks at the hotel was good, nice cocktails although it was a little pricey. Dinner was good in the Champs. Good service and good food and even though it was also a little pricey, (4 of us spent about $450 in total on dinner with a bottle of wine), it was still pretty well justified for.

I did mention check in was fast and efficient, however, check out was another thing. 3 of us checked out that morning. My bill, they accidentally charged me for a bottle of water ($7), my other collegue, they accidentally charged him for a cheese packet and a chocolate bar
($11.50) and as for the last one, he was a member and has a 50% discount on food which the hotel didnt not take into account of... so please check your bill when you are about to check out. All in all, it took us 25 mins to check out and have them re do our bills.

Overall, this hotel is near our office, and one that many of us in our company are members of, that's why we chose to stay here rather than at the Homebush... however, while it is a comfortable hotel, there are areas where Rydges will need to upgrade upon.

• Stayed February 2012, traveled on business
ParramattaManager, Front Office Manager at Rydges Parramatta, responded to this review, March 4, 2012
We would like to thank you for taking the time to provide us with your comments regarding your recent stay at Rydges Parramatta. You have been able to provide us with some valuable feedback, we which we use to rectify any deficiencies, and work towards providing improved service standards and product. Please accept our apologies for the inconvenience caused by your room key issues, this has been addressed with our Maintenance Manager. Every bathroom should have a hook behind the door, this is also being looked into. Please note we do have safes available at reception for the use of our guests. Once again thank you for taking the time to leave your comments, as we genuinely appreciate the feedback provided to us by our guests, and we hope to be able to welcome you back to Rydges Parramatta in the future.
Kind Regards,
Rydges Parramatta
Adelaide
3 of 5 stars Reviewed February 25, 2012

I have stayed at this hotel 3 times including recently for business purposes. I have stayed in a few Rydges but have found this one the best for service and food quality. Check in/out is generally friendly and fast. The rooms are adequate for a short stay. The dream beds that Rydges use are a favourite of mine and ensure a comfortable sleep. Amenties in the room are ok but could be better with more varieties of tea to offer. Bathroom is a decent size but is a shower over the bath which i don't really like.
Room service is prompt and the food good quality which is another reason i have stayed several times. I have eaten breakfast at the buffet and ordered a room service version but i recommend the buffet version for freshness.
Location is good depending on your needs but close to parramatta CBD and across the road from rosehill racecourse and there is free onsite convenient carparking.
The main negative would be the traffic noise of James Ruse drive so ask for a back room and also the aircon is one of the loudest i have heard although not especially effective for Sydney's humid summers.

Room Tip: Ask for a room at the back away from James Ruse drive.
  • Stayed February 2012, traveled on business
Thank you for taking the time to provide feedback regarding your stay at Rydges Parramatta. We are delighted that your get a great nights’ sleep on our Rydges Dream Beds. Your comments have been passed onto our Executive Chef and Maintenance Manager. Once again, thank you taking the time to share your experience as it is very important for us to hear your comments and have the opportunity to rectify any deficiencies. We look forward to having you back in our hotel.
Kind regards,
Hotel Management
Melbourne, Australia
3 of 5 stars Reviewed January 20, 2012

Stayed here...due to its location close to Parramatta...the room were nice and spacious and also had a buffett breakfast every single morning..staff were excellent and helpful....throughout their stay...free parking was added pleasure...liked the amenities in the room and pretty much like a four star...

• Stayed February 2011, traveled with friends
ParramattaManager, Front Office Manager at Rydges Parramatta, responded to this review, January 22, 2012
Thank you very much for taking the time to review our hotel, we are very pleased that you enjoyed your stay and found the staff to be helpful. Exceptional customer service is something we pride ourselves on, your comments are very pleasing to read and have been passed onto the team. Thank you again for your feedback, it is greatly appreciated. We look forward to welcoming you back to Rydges Parramatta in the future.
Kind Regards,
NY
5 of 5 stars Reviewed December 26, 2011

I found Rydges Parramatta a very pleasant and nice place to stay. 4 star hotel all the way from the lobby, to the reception staff to the restaurants. The free wifi in the lobby bar/lounge area was fast and easy to log on. I took the train to Parramata station and a 5 minute cab ride for $10 to the hotel. Central Parramata was a pleasant 20 minute suburban walk. Going into Parramata the bus stops around the corner. Macdonads, Subway, Italian restaurant, KFC, Hooters, and a major food store--Woolworths--is a 5 minute walk. Pool is over 6 feet deep. Exercise equipment is adequate. I suggest joining their program to get 10% off rates and 20% off their gourmet pricey restaurants. My king room was large, modern and the bath was nice. With the discount for staying 3 days and the Rydges member program I paid less than what a hostel would cost in central Sydney. I would definitely stay here again.

Room Tip: Join the Rydges program to get 10% off the room rate---make sure to find the link on the Rydges web...
  • Stayed December 2011, traveled as a couple
ParramattaManager, Front Office Manager at Rydges Parramatta, responded to this review, January 3, 2012
Thank you for your kind review. We are glad you enjoyed your stay and took advantage of our great FREE membership program, Rydges Priority Guest. Thank you again for taking the time to provide us with feedback and we look forward to welcoming you back to Rydges Parramatta in the future.
Rydges Management

Been to Rydges Parramatta? Share your experiences!