“never again” 1 of 5 stars
Review of Rydges Parramatta

You added Rydges Parramatta to your Saves list
Rydges Parramatta
4.5 of 5 Hotel   |   116 James Ruse Dr, Rosehill, Parramatta, New South Wales 2142, Australia   |
Ranked #3 of 4 Hotels in Rosehill
Seoul
“never again”
1 of 5 stars Reviewed January 7, 2008

We stay at this hotel from 30th December to 4th January 2008.
The staff of the front desk were always busy and over strained even with simple requests for time table to Sydney Central station. They never did anything proactive, we always had to remind them.
Internet was not working during two days.
The room size is ok but the additional provided bed is an imposition for everyone.
Two days we had cockroaches in our room, the A/C has switched off after 5 minutes automatically.
The location is far from the city center, it takes at least 1 hour.
The front desk recommended to walk to Harris Park station but it will be better to use Parramatta station because of higher frequency of trains.
This was the worst experience we ever had in a 4 star hotel.

• Liked — ???
  • Disliked — service front desk
  • Stayed December 2007, traveled with family
    • 1 of 5 stars Check in / front desk
    • 2 of 5 stars Business service (e.g., internet access)
manager02, Manager at Rydges Parramatta, responded to this review, January 8, 2008

The dates that you stayed with the hotel is a very quite time of year, therefore I cannot understand why you felt our reception staff were always busy or over strained. For the same reason I do not understand why it would take an hour to travel into the city, when under normal travelling time the city is 30 minutes away by train.

Rydges Parramatta prides it's self and is well known for its professionalism, customer service and attention to detail. I wish that you would have given the hotel an opportunity to address your issues during your stay.

On behalf of Rydges Parramatta I would like to take this opportunity to apologise if you were inconvenience in any way during your stay.

Thank you again for your vital feedback.

Regards

Executive Assistant Manager

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (88)
sydney australia
2 of 5 stars Reviewed April 19, 2007

We booked 2 rooms months in advance. Upon arrival we were told the rooms were on different floors ? !! We did ask to have rooms on the same floor but reception never got back to us. The room we were given was facing James Ruse Drive - we wanted to open the window as the air con was very noisy but because of the busy traffic and noise and lack of fly screen we had to close it. The hotel is advertised as being refurbished. Not sure where ?
Our room was very basic. Clean but way overpriced. The breakfast experience was puzzling. One morning we were offered capuccinos free next morning we were charged extra, one morning we had eggs cooked to order then on the saturday morning - NO chef cooking ?! just the standard buffet. They took forever over 30 mins with our lunch order and then when it arrived one of our party didnt get her order ?! we had to go to a meeting so had to share our lunch - the waiter did apologise and offer to give us one lunch gratis - thanks !
its an ok place if you need to go to the Rosehill races across the road but ...thats about it.

• Liked — I was with my friends
  • Disliked — reception staff not doing their job, poor level of service in restaurant, noisy room location
  • Stayed March 2007, traveled on business
    • 1 of 5 stars Check in / front desk
    • 2 of 5 stars Business service (e.g., internet access)
manager02, Executive Assistant Manager at Rydges Parramatta, responded to this review, April 22, 2007

The service you received in the hotel and restaurant is not the normal high standard Rydges Parramatta prides itself on. I have discussed your comments with the relevant managers to ensure this type of service does not happen again.

On behalf of the team at Rydges Parramatta I wish to take this opportunity to apologise for this experience and any inconvenience this may have caused.

Again, thank you for this vital feedback. I hope to have the opportunity of welcoming you back to Rydges Parramatta in the future.

Executive Assistant Manager

Travelers are raving about these Rosehill hotels

Port Macquarie, Australia
4 of 5 stars Reviewed March 5, 2007

We stayed for only one night at Rydges. We wanted a reasonably priced hotel convenient to the inner western suburbs. The room had obviously been recently redecorated. Everything was very clean and tastefully done. The room was not huge but more than adequate for two. There was no stale old room smell you often get with larger multi-storied hotels.
Two slightly negative comments. The bathroom had only been partially re-tiled, there were still parts around the shower/bath that were mouldy and tired. In-fact the bathroom reminded me a lot of an other Rydges premises I'd been in. I really think the whole thing should have been re-tiled. The gym/pool area was also a little tired and stale sweat smelling.
On the positive side, the staff were very helpful and friendly and seemed genuine. The parking was convenient and complimentary. The rooms were quiet and given it's on James Ruse Dve that's impressive.
At the price we got the room on Wotif, it was extremely good value and we'd happily stay there again.

Stayed March 2007
manager02, Executive Assistant Manager at Rydges Parramatta, responded to this review, March 7, 2007
The Rydges Parramatta wishes to thank you for taking the time to share your experience of the hotel through the TripAdvisor website. The hotel is planning to review the pool/gym area in the future.
Again thank you for your positive feedback regarding your visit to the hotel.

Brisbane, Australia
5 of 5 stars Reviewed December 6, 2006

I stayed at the Rydges for 1 night. I was given a huge room on the 6th floor (601), I was impressed. The bathroom was huge with 2 sinks, a massive jacuzzi bath and walk in shower (again huge!). The bed was very comfy. It also had a walk in robe with full mini bar. For $170/night it was great value. It was a shame to waste it on 1 person!

• Liked — The size of the room and comfy bed
  • Tips/Secrets — Book into room 601!
  • Stayed November 2006, traveled on business
    • 4 of 5 stars Check in / front desk
    • 5 of 5 stars Business service (e.g., internet access)
Sydney
4 of 5 stars Reviewed August 13, 2005

I stayed 1 night in one of two penthouse suites called the Strawberry Road Penthouse for my anniversary last year in Aug 2004.

This room apparently has a huge spa and even a turkish steam room. For only $190 due to having a 50% off the rack rate special, I thought there cannot be any better deal than this.

I checked in and the staff were very friendly. One of the staff even escorted the two of us all the way into the suite. I noticed that the room had a video intercom.

When you walk in, the first thing you see is the "small" bed room. The king size bed nearly filled the room and other than the antique style wooden furnitures, you would seriously wonder why this should be called the penthouse suite at all. It had a walk in robe with a minibar/fridge inside on the entrance side of the room.

Bed was old, carpet had some stains and cigarrette burn marks, the wooden tv stand was truly antique as the door broke when I tried to open it. The whole room just felt too worn and old.

BUT, there is a plus side to all this.

There is a long narrow corridor to the bathroom and when you walk in, the bathroom is as big as the bedroom with a huge round spa in marble surrounding, a 3/4 adult steam room with a shower inside, double vanity and a toilet behind the door. Other than the old/worn blinds covering the window, the bathroom was truly excellent.

Steam room takes about 25mins to fully warm up and fill with steam and once you walk in, it is a godsend. I just loved the steam room even though it seemed to be missing a thermometer and had a broken hanging wire dangling on one side. Having a cool shower while being inside the hot hot steamroom just cannot be forgotten.

Spa was also great albeit a bit weak in the bubbles. (I guess it's an old model) Ample room for two and the marble surroundings made it feel rich.

Truly, the bathroom was the highlight to this room.

We also had a seafood platter for two at the Scuzzi Cafe restaurant below and it was delicious with enough for two hungry adults.

It wasn't the quietest room though and the bed wasn't that comfortable either. But I still do recommend this room for the bathroom alone at the price.

Finally, the buffet breakfast next morning at the same Scuzzi Cafe was nice with lots of varieties in both hot and cold dishes as well as cereal.

UPDATE - I've been told last week that they are going to refurbish the hotel this September 2005 and should finish by November 2005 some time. So new furniture/bed/paint/carpet etc. (Not sure but they should be retouching the bathroom also I would predict.) I'm definitely planning to go back after this.

So people who are reading this after November 2005, expect the room to be far newer (and better I guess) than what my review states. =)

• Stayed August 2004

Been to Rydges Parramatta? Share your experiences!