“Unappealing hotel” 2 of 5 stars
Review of Mercure Sydney Parramatta

You added Mercure Sydney Parramatta to your Saves list
Mercure Sydney Parramatta
4.0 of 5 Hotel   |   106 Hassall Street, Rosehill, Parramatta, New South Wales 2142, Australia   |
Offers & Announcements
Free Breakfast Offer
Ranked #2 of 4 Hotels in Rosehill
“Unappealing hotel”
2 of 5 stars Reviewed March 22, 2014

Stayed here for 1 night for work, arrived in the evening and was given an awful room on the 2nd floor. It was a disability access room, the bathroom resembled a hospital bathroom, but uglier. The room itself was ok, the usual Mercure room. Older hotel, rooms renovated to the same style. To top it off my room was located outside the lift and other guests of the hotel allowed their children to run up and down the hall screaming at 11pm. This was obviously not the fault of the hotel.

I thought the location was bad, but I don't know the area and why people may want to stay there. I had business in Parramatta, but the walk to the city was a little far (20 minutes would normally be ok but not when carrying work). I had a decent wait for a taxi in the morning followed by a taxi driver who was annoyed at having to drive me a small distant. Across the road is a supermarket, some fast food (McDonald's I think) and a Hooters (yes, a Hooters) not really what I was after for dinner. I ate at the restaurant where the food was ok but overpriced (however to be expected in a hotel restaurant). I also had breakfast at the hotel, unfortunately there was only a choice of continental or full buffet. Standard choices, nothing flash. I especially loved the poster saying all the bread was home made when obviously it wasn't!

Staff at the hotel varied, from the stoney faced night manager to the lovely restaurant staff. I would not stay here agin, especially considering the cost of the room. The bathroom was totally unacceptable and the place just didn't have anything going for it from my perspective.

• Stayed February 2014, traveled on business
ManagerParramatta, Assistant Manager at Mercure Sydney Parramatta, responded to this review, March 23, 2014
Dear Alexandriad,

Thank you for providing such a detailed review of the Mercure Sydney Parramatta on TripAdvisor.

I am concerned to hear that you did not enjoy your stay and would like to offer my sincere apologies.

Here at Mercure, we always try to accommodate requests and generally a room overlooking our pool and away from lifts is a quieter option. This can be requested at the time of booking. If at all you experience a noise disturbance, a quick phone call to our 24 hour reception will see this dealt with quickly and efficiently, ensuring you receive a good nights rest.

I agree that the walk to Parramatta can be around 20 minutes, but there is also a bus that leaves directly opposite the hotel. This runs every 20 minutes and will drop you off into the heart of Parramatta and returns to the front stairs of the hotel. It is very convenient and makes what may seem like a long distance, become short and painless.

Your comments regarding the breakfast have been shared with our Executive Chef and the rest of the Mercure team for consideration.

Thank you once again for reviewing the hotel and it is my hope that you will give us the chance to better serve you in the future.

Assistant Manager

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (33)
3 of 5 stars Reviewed February 23, 2014

Stayed at the Mercure while on business. Staff were friendly enough and it was a plus that hotel parking is free. It's also useful that there is a supermarket across the road and the hotel is very close to Rosehill racecourse.
However, the decor looks very tired and rooms are in need of a freshen up as they are looking quite dated. The gym (if you can call it that) is more of an afterthought. An outdated multi-gym and a couple of cardio machines in a converted hotel room meant that it was easier (& more beneficial) to do my own bodyweight exercises in my room.
I ate at the M restaurant one evening. Ordered a steak and veg, so nothing complicated. Ordered my steak blue but it came medium rare (just how hard is it to cook a steak??) and when I got the bill they tried to charge me for a beer and a dessert I never had and forgot to put my advantage plus discount. As a result the bill should have been $27 but was presented to me at $54. There are much better hotels on offer locally so the Mercure would not be my preferred choice in future.

• Stayed February 2014, traveled on business
ManagerParramatta, Assistant Manager at Mercure Sydney Parramatta, responded to this review, February 25, 2014
Dear Pieter B,

Thank you for taking the time to review the Mercure Sydney Parramatta on TripAdvisor.

I am concerned to hear about the issues you faced whilst staying with us. I have referred your concerns regarding the gym and rooms on to our General Manager for consideration.

The M Restaurant is usually known for providing quality meals with a positive dinning experience. I am saddened to hear that you were unable to have this, please accept my sincerest apologies.

It is my hope that you will give us the opportunity to better serve you in the future.

Port Macquarie, Australia
5 of 5 stars Reviewed February 21, 2014

Just wanted to acknowlegde the customer service from the Mercure as being excpetional. We were meant to stay at the Mercure in December but due to an unexpected event were not able to. The Mercure accomodated our changes and were a pleasure to liaise with. Thank you to Andrew Hills and Megan.

Stayed February 2014, traveled with friends
ManagerParramatta, Assistant Manager at Mercure Sydney Parramatta, responded to this review, February 24, 2014
Dear ChelseaBella,

Thank you for choosing to review the Mercure Sydney Parramatta on TripAdvisor.

I am so sorry you were unable to stay with us; however I am very pleased you were still able to have a positive experience.

Your feedback has been shared with the rest of the Mercure team and I am sure that Andrew and Megan will be very grateful.

We look forward to having you stay with us in the future.

Napier, New Zealand
4 of 5 stars Reviewed February 10, 2014

The hotel I was very happy with, the staff were very pleasant, Reception were very helpful with places I wanted to go.
It was great with the buses stopping right outside.
Would defiantly stay again...

• Stayed February 2014, traveled with family

Review collected in partnership with Accorhotels.com

ManagerParramatta, Assistant Manager at Mercure Sydney Parramatta, responded to this review, February 13, 2014
Dear Derrys C,

I am so pleased to hear that you enjoyed your stay with us.

Thank you for providing feedback on Tripadvisor, I will be sure to share it with the rest of the Mercure team.

4 of 5 stars Reviewed February 5, 2014

This hotel is a good option to avoid staying in the heart of the city. The central location is perfect for visiting customers in the outer suburbs. The restaurant meals were very nice but not much choice on the menu. The beds were okay just no valance or cover on the bed base. Although the hotel is a little tired it is pretty clean in the general areas. The first room (twin) I stayed in was on the second level and had a terrible smell. The second room (queen) was on a higher floor and seemed not as worn and without any odour. I love the size of the pool and look forward to visiting again when the upgrade is completed. This hotels best asset are its staff.

• Stayed February 2014, traveled on business
ManagerParramatta, Assistant Manager at Mercure Sydney Parramatta, responded to this review, February 8, 2014
Dear JodieG68,

Thank you for sharing your views on the Mercure Sydney Parramatta.

I am pleased to hear that your interaction with our Mercure staff was a pleasant one. I will be sure to share your comments with the rest of the Mercure Team.

We look forward to welcoming you again soon.

Assistant Manager

Been to Mercure Sydney Parramatta? Share your experiences!