“Guiver - Ryan Wedding” 5 of 5 stars
Review of Newport Mirage

Save Saved
You added Newport Mirage to your Saves list
Newport Mirage
4.0 of 5 Hotel   |   Queens Parade West, Newport, Pittwater, New South Wales 2106, Australia   |
Ranked #1 of 1 hotels in Newport
Sydney, Australia
“Guiver - Ryan Wedding”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 12, 2012

We attended this weddign yesterday at Newport Mirage and could not be happy with the food, location or service. The attentive staff, in particular a young drinks waiter named "Mark" made the day very special and helped everything to move ever so smoothly.

Mark ensured that the senior guests (Grandparents) were given the special level of respect and service they deserved.

• Stayed August 2012, traveled with family
Nicholas R, AGM at Newport Mirage, responded to this review, August 23, 2012
Dear Guiver, Thank you for your very kind review. It’s so wonderful to receive such good comments especially about our service, I will be sure to give Mark a special thanks. Kind regards Nicholas Rush AGM

80 people have reviewed this hotel

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (20)
Launceston, Australia
4 of 5 stars Reviewed August 5, 2012 via mobile

Stayed here for 2 nights on a recent work trip. Upon check in I was given a most extensive explanation of facilities and their respective locations throughout the property. Incredibly informative and a pleasant welcome. All aspects of this property were clean and tidy. The location is great and on the water. Room was a good size with balcony and a comfortable bed. I was most disappointed to find the sauna full of stacked up old furniture and unusable. I paid $28 for the breakfast and they didn't even have any hot food at the buffet. Despite these two disappointments, I would recommend this hotel to anyone visiting the area.

• Stayed July 2012
Nicholas R, AGM at Newport Mirage, responded to this review, August 8, 2012
Thank you LMulligan for providing some wonderful feedback on our front office staff on Tripadvisor. Comments such as yours are great encouragement to the staff.

Unfortunately our Sauna was de commissioned in 2007 due to lack of use, however I can understand your disappointment. We do recommend a dip in our lovely heated outdoor spa it’s perfect with a glass of bubbles on those chilly winter afternoons watching the sunset over Pittwater.

On our not so busy mornings we “cook to order” hot food. We do this to ensure that you receive the freshest possible breakfast. I’m sorry to hear this was not explained clearly when you were seated for breakfast. I have followed up with our restaurant manager to ensure all guests arriving at these times are aware they can order as much as they desire from our extensive list of hot breakfast items.

Thank you once again for sharing your thoughts and we look forward to welcoming you back to the Mirage on your next trip.

Nicholas Rush, AGM
Sydney
4 of 5 stars Reviewed August 5, 2012 via mobile

If you get a water view room you wont regret it. Great place, clean, well serviced. A Fantastic view from our room. We stayed 2 nights and had a great time. The place is close to beautiful Avalon where you can enjoy the high life and fantastic restaurants ... Newport Mirage is a walking distance from the great RPAYC, the RMYC and all the other great sailing and boating places in the peninsula. Don't forget the Arms just across the street!
No free wifi (real pity considering that in Avalon cafes the council provides free wifi !!!) - I wish our council provides free wifi.
Most hotels provide free wifi these days... It is like having towels in the bathroom.
The carpet can do with a replacement!
Breakfast was great as well. Well provided and varied.
We'll come back.!

Stayed August 2012, traveled as a couple
Nicholas R, AGM at Newport Mirage, responded to this review, August 23, 2012
Thank you for your review TrevelerFB2008, Glad to hear you enjoyed your stay with us and importantly enjoyed the local area. We do have some fantastic specials running that include our premium waterfront rooms, breakfast, red wine and fondue, also thanks for your feedback regarding our WIFI. We now offer free welcome internet passes, please request one from reception on your next visit. We are proud to say that we have completed stage 1 of our refurbishment with the next stage not too far away. I look forward to seeing you here again soon. Kind Regards Nicholas Rush AGM
Sydney, Australia
2 of 5 stars Reviewed June 24, 2012

Stayed here for a night. Was not impressed. When we first came up, we thought it was a motel rather than a hotel. Not enough parking bays, and also the lots were pretty small. Hotel is a bit on the small side. I was surprised.

For $200, we had a view of the road. Not that we expected anything fancy, but you can get a better hotel in the city for that price.

The room was a bit on the small side, and the bed is just two king singles joined together. It is clean. Sparsely furnished. No sofa, TV was on the dresser and full length mirror only by the cupboard. The room was dark.

Breakfast was on the so-so side. We paid $25 each for the buffet. For that amount, I can't really compare it to other hotel's buffet. But the restaurant has a good view.

Overall, I don't think I'll be coming back here.

• Stayed June 2012, traveled as a couple
Dear theo_chloe,
Thank you for sharing your feedback, naturally we are disappointed your stay did not meet your expectations on this occasion. We are a 4 star property located on the shores of Pittwater about an hour from the city and our pricing is comparable to other like properties in the area. You are correct, our parking bays are a little tight and to overcome this we have friendly staff on hand who are more than happy to help. We do have a mix of accommodation rooms, our larger suites have views of Pittwater and sofas, these can be requested when making a booking. I must say I am surprised that you didn’t rate our breakfast as we are always getting complements regarding the variety and freshness of the food on our buffet, however I have highlighted this to the kitchen team to keep an eye on. We do hope you give us another try and we will aim to accommodate you in a more appropriate room type to suit your preferences.
Nicholas Rush, AGM
Coffs Harbour, Australia
4 of 5 stars Reviewed June 3, 2012 via mobile

Booked through wotif.com. Located right next to the Newport Arms Hotel. Rooms are a bit small, but clean and comfortable with a king size bed. Great breakfast.

• Stayed June 2012
darlinghurst
4 of 5 stars Reviewed April 20, 2012

After reading the reviews I was a little apprehensive about my stay at the Mirage, but no complaints for me!
Stayed here as a couple for two nights over the weekend. Assigned Room 506 - had a balcony from which you could see Pittwater. The room was small, but it was clean & well furnished.
Reception staff on arrival & check-out were fantastic. Happy to chat & very pleasant.
Took the full breakfast option & as we were in each morning early [i.e. 7.15am], instead of having buffet hot food we could order direct from the menu. My husband wanted Tabasco sauce for his tomato juice, none in the kitchen so the waitress went across the road & bought a bottle. Now that is service.
A wedding was in-house on the Saturday [beautiful evening for them], but we did not hear any guest noise or any other noise during the nights of our stay.
Just makes me more cautious about what I read on Tripadvisor - some people seem hard to please.

Room Tip: Take the breakfast option, & arrive just after opening to utilise menu options.
  • Stayed April 2012, traveled as a couple
Nicholas R, AGM at Newport Mirage, responded to this review, August 8, 2012
Thank you for your kind review it’s so great to hear such fantastic positive comments on Tripadvisor about our staff I will be sure to pass these on to our whole team. Our full buffet breakfast is served fresh every morning and we will happily cater for dietary requests and early arrivals with cook to order. Thank you again for taking the time to review us.

Nicholas Rush , AGM
Newcastle, Australia
3 of 5 stars Reviewed March 18, 2012 via mobile

My husband and I stayed here for one night as we were attending a wedding in the area and paid $243 for our room.

Reception staff were friendly throughout our stay, although we only needed to deal with them for check in and check out.

The room was very clean and tidy and nicely decorated, however it is tiny. The bathroom is minuscule and only one person can be in there at one time. For what we paid for the room, I had expected a view but our room looked out at the block of units next door.

The bed was very comfortable however I had a terrible nights sleep because of the paper thin walls and doors. I am usually a heavy sleeper but I was woken up several times during the night by a crying baby, people chatting as they walked down the hall and cleaning carts being clattered around. Not good enough when you're paying $243 per night.

We had the breakfast buffet in the morning and the food was delicious with a great selection. The staff however were not quite up to scratch. My husband and I sat down at a table set for 10 as most of the other guests at the wedding we attended had also stayed at the Mirage and were on their way down for brekky. We were quickly shooed away by a waitress onto a smaller table because there were guests from another wedding staying at the hotel and they apparently needed the larger tables, despite us telling her we had another 8 people coming down now. We were all spread across two tables on other sides of the restaurant and big surprise, that party from the other wedding never materialized.

Overall, the Mirage was a bit of a let down and I would recommend saving some cash and booking at the Newport Arms across the road.

• Stayed March 2012
Dear AmorAmor85,

Thank you for your comments regarding our clean rooms, friendly staff and comfortable bed’s. We recently invested in new beds for all of our rooms. I am disappointed to hear that you were disturbed through the night, we have policies in place to address these issues. Our hotel is staffed 24 hours in order to ensure guests receive a good night’s sleep. In future I encourage you to let the hotel know there is a problem, this will allow us to address the issue quickly. Our pricing is in line with similar properties in the area and we feel we offer good value given our central and convenient location on shores of Pittwater. I do apologise you were unable to secure you a large table for breakfast, however I have addressed this issue with our restaurant manager and we have made some changes in our restaurant layout to accommodate these requests.

Nicholas Rush , AGM

Been to Newport Mirage? Share your experiences!