“Could be excellent, but our experience was spoiled by a misdirected expedient.” 4 of 5 stars
Review of Blackwattle Grill

Blackwattle Grill
Rydges Sydney Airport - 8 Arrivals Court | Sydney International Airport, Mascot, Botany Bay, New South Wales 2020, Australia
+61 2 9313 2500
Website
Improve this listing
Ranked #6 of 83 Restaurants in Mascot
Cuisines: Australian
Dining options: Late Night, Reservations
Description: Every hotel needs its signature restaurant and ours is the Blackwattle Grill. This restaurant has an urban-bistro aesthetic. With it's bentwood chairs, industrial-style lighting, and sleek darkly tiled open kitchen, the Blackwattle Grill will lift the quality of airport precinct dining choices to a whole new level. This will be a showcase of Australian produce and flavours, from our world-famous Black Angus Beef, to mouth-watering Sydney rock oysters. And we'll be using a wood-fired grill to seal in those quintessential Australian flavours. Those guests who would prefer a lighter meal can choose from the more casual side of the menu, featuring options such as Gourmet Pizza or Angus Beef Burger, prepared by our chefs with all the attention our guests would expect. Our Restaurant staff may suggest a fine Australian drop from our glass-fronted wine wall, to complement the meal. Maybe a Yarra Valley pinot, aged Hunter Semillon, or Margaret River chardonnay.
Oztraylya
4 of 5 stars Reviewed July 6, 2013

Food 6/10 but could be so much better, Service 8.5/10, Ambience 9/10, Value 8/10

Firstly, a warning. Airport hotels can be overwhelmed by passengers from cancelled flights. Make sure you book and ask about your options.

My wife chose the prawn cocktail entrée and I had the wood fire grilled prawns. The presentation and taste of these dishes was excellent. Then there was an offer... eat between 5.30 and 6.30 and a selection of main courses are served with a glass of wine included, all for $30. We both took up the offer and ordered chicken parmigiana. This dish appeared to be a good deal, as it is on the menu without the glass of wine for $32. Sadly, it was the downside of our evening.

Chicken parmigiana has to be pieces of hot and crispy chicken accompanied by tomato sauce and grilled parmesan cheese. The logistics of organising the kitchen here at Blackwattle Grill, it seems, dictated that these normally wonderful creations be pre-prepared and then finished as required. The evidence that chicken parmigiana needs to be cooked just before it is served was the soggy travesties that were presented to us that evening.

Please chef, look at your quality control in this area. Our desserts were a selection of ice creams. Easy to prepare ahead of time with no issues, and they were fine.

The warm and cosy ambience of this restaurant is a welcome contrast to the stark and clinical look of the rest of the hotel’s public area. A lot of thought has been well directed to the design and special mention needs to be made of the huge wrap around chairs that are a centrepiece of the design. We were quickly greeted by friendly and informative staff. All in all, if one enquires about the provenance of the dishes offered and orders wisely, a very pleasant meal should result.

I have no hesitation recommending this restaurant, but please be advised to inform your choices.

• Visited July 2013
    • 5 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 3 of 5 stars Food
Tish N, General Manager at Blackwattle Grill, responded to this review, July 22, 2014
I appreciate you taking the time to provide us with some feedback – I have taken your feedback on board and have spoken to the chef.

Kind Regards,

Tish

Port Macquarie, Australia
“Buffet or Grill”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed June 26, 2013 via mobile

My family and I stayed at Rydges Sydney Airport, which the Blackwattle Grill is the restaurant. Upon arrival at the Hotel we made a booking for three. At the appropriate time we attended the restaurant and were met by a young lady who asked if we belonged to the Qantas or Vanuatu group, I responded neither and was informed that we could have either the buffet for $40 per person or go to the bar for bar snacks, the young lady was not particularly friendly at explaining our options nor was she when I questioned her about them. This was a bit of a shock as I was expecting a little bit more than this at an international hotel.

Upon sitting down at our table, the drink waitress eventually turned up and took my order, she also took my Rydges Priority card with her which disappeared for the entire meal, I only got it back when I questioned her about it's whereabouts. There was no explanation of the layout of the buffet, what was included....nothing. The food wasn't too bad but the beef was to undercooked and was tough, everything else wasn't too bad. It was the service which was terrible, there was none. The poor drinks waitress was lovely and was obviously overworked because she didn't come near us again.

I obviously wasn't the only disgruntled person about the service as two other couples were at Reception after the meal complaining about how they had been treated at the restaurant....pick up your act!

Visited June 2013
Thank you for the valuable feedback it is very much appreciated!
I have passed your comments onto the food and Beverage Manager who is currently reviewing the issues raised.

Cheers,