“I do not look forward to staying here” 3 of 5 stars
Review of Stamford Plaza Sydney Airport

You added Stamford Plaza Sydney Airport to your Saves list
Stamford Plaza Sydney Airport
4.5 of 5 Hotel   |   Corner O'Riordan & Robey Streets, Mascot, Botany Bay, New South Wales 2020, Australia   |
Ranked #3 of 5 Hotels in Mascot
Queensland
“I do not look forward to staying here”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed March 19, 2009

I am becoming more and more dissatisfied with Stamford Hotels right accross the board, they just never seem to get it right, they just don't "get it", there is always something "not right". It is certainly not the luxury chain it was and comes across as a hotel chain charging premium prices for an inferior product. This is obviously coming from head management but stems down to what we the customer ultimately gets. This hotel is no exception, however my last stay was not too bad (I stay here a few times a year as it's a company contract). Location is great for the domestic airport, you can even walk the 10 mins to the terminal (not international) if you don't have much luggage however there is a shuttle to both domestic and international for a fee of $6.00 which must be pre booked and leaves about every 30 mins. It's a busy hotel. Checking in and out can take some time when there is a queue. I have never had a problem with front desk, booking has always been found and the staff are courteous. The rooms however look very different to those on the hotel website, I could swear it's a different hotel. They are however quite good but unchanged from 15 years ago when I first stayed there, just after it opened as the Sheraton. My last room was good, spacious, very clean, and a very comfortable queen bed. Lighting is adequate and bed lamps have 2 settings. There is a desk with internet access and 2 phones (one bedside). TV is local and cable. Bathroom is good and comes with all amenities, good thick towels and plenty of them however the shower is over the tub which appears very low and uninviting if you want a soak. As with most hotels in Australia now the shower has a water saver head but I was suprised by the pressure, it was pretty good. I have never dined in the restaurant here but be warned, room service is a complete rip off. It's expensive, there is a $6.00 tray delivery charge and the quality is appalling. The one time I did order I sent it back and refused to pay. I ordered a sandwich which sounded great on the menu. When it arrived I just laughed. Two slices of supermarket bread with a slice of turkey in the middle and a handful of packet crisps on the side, $18.00 plus $6.00 delivery. A complete con. This is a hotel taking advantage of us, the customer, as there is really no where else to get food. That is a big gripe of mine. I have noticed a McDonalds has opened near by so this stay I resorted to that. I don't mind paying if it's quality but the food at this hotel is far from that. If you are after a decent airport hotel around Sydney this is your only choice as the only other alternatives are Ibis, Formule 1, Holiday Inn (ex Parkroyal) or Mercure (ex Hilton) which is on the other side of the airport. Quest have recently opened serviced apartments opposite the Stamford and have heard it's not bad. Have stayed at Holiday Inn and found it pretty basic. This hotel serves it's purpose and the rooms are comfortable. When it opened it was branded as a Sheraton, Stamford have not kept up the standard.

• Stayed March 2009, traveled on business

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (202)
  • Korean first
Brisbane Australia
4 of 5 stars Reviewed March 8, 2009

This hotel is well located and great for overnights before flights. The rooms are great and very quiet despite being almost under the flight path.

The service is satisfactory but there does seem to be a staff shortage so things can take longer.

There is a very good convenience store outside the hotel for all the things you may have forgotton. However, the Hotel is in an industrial area there are no other shops and transport ( rail) is a short walk away. No bus to the airport is provided but valet parking ( at cost) is available.

Overall, the hotel is quite good and I would recommend it for a short stay.

• Stayed February 2009, traveled as a couple
Alicante, Spain
2 of 5 stars Reviewed March 7, 2009

Rooms are extremely worn and jaded and in desperate need of a refurbish.
The restuarant was a disgrace. The Hamburger patty was a frozen reworked supermarket patty. The salad on the burger was as disgraceful and the hand cut fries were stright from the chip packet. My wifes dim sums were from the same variety. A burger for $16 ?? An Absolute disgrace. The service was less than decent. We waited nearly an hour for that really simple food.
We will NO WAY return. Give this hotel a wide berth . The Holiday Inn down the road is better. Not by a lot but at least better

• Stayed March 2009, traveled as a couple
Queensland, Australia
4 of 5 stars Reviewed March 5, 2009

We have always had a great stay in this Hotel. Reception staff can be a bit hit and miss, they had problems with our booking this time though nothing that was a big drama. Our room was great, airport view and a good size. Concierge was great organising taxi for myself and toddler while hubby was in conference. Great value and handy to airport. Room service for dinner was good. Breakfast was OK.

• Stayed February 2009, traveled on business
ACT
1 of 5 stars Reviewed February 25, 2009

We booked the accommodation over the internet, and were both looking forward to our stay at what we thought was a reputable hotel. Our check-in encounter was less than expected, with only one employee dealing with all check-ins and enquiries at that particular time. The female employee that eventually served us hardly went out of her way at all to make us feel welcome. There were no instructions on the facilities available or any help with parking our car. We also did not receive any help to carry our baggage, not even any offers. We were then left to figure out which floor our room was on and how to park our car. On subsequent return to the hotel in our vehicle on two other occasions (late at night), we found that the car park gate was shut and we had to make our way around to the reception area to rouse a staff member to open the gate for us. (This is not an easy task if you are in your car down the driveway – possibly just a key to open the door would be easier?)

On arrival at our room, we found that our mini-bar key was not working and there were no bathrobes made available for our use (the information on the internet stipulated that there were bathrobes supplied). Furthermore, the shower pressure was very low, making it difficult to shower/clean oneself.

We were also looking forward to having thorough work-outs in the gym, however found that a lot of the machinery was faulty or broken (two rowing machines, a bike, a treadmill, a chin/dip machine). The air-conditioning appeared to be too low or out of order because it was extremely hot inside the gym. There were no towels and also no cups to have a drink of water. To top it all off, the spa was out of order, and it felt like the supposedly heated pool wasn’t at all heated. Outside around the pool area was messy, with dirty crockery, glassware and dirty towels lying around. Even the bathroom/change room facilities for the pool area were untidy, with dirty towels lying around. The shower cubical in the female change room was very dimly lit and thus posed a very serious risk of a possible slip or fall. If we had known that the advertised facilities were in such a state, we would have chosen to stay somewhere else.

We did not make use of any of the room services or restaurants; however I hope that they are certainly not at a level anything like what the other services and facilities have been.

Upon checking out, we also had an unpleasant experience, again having to wait a considerable time before being served (one staff member on duty). The female staff member was again very indifferent and didn’t even care to ask whether we enjoyed our stay.

Being a regular traveller to Sydney and frequent user of top hotels in the Sydney area, we have found that our experience at Stamford Sydney Airport left us feeling dissatisfied and displeased considering the fact that our expectations were not even that high. Simple customer service is not much to ask for as well as properly operating facilities.

• Stayed December 2007, traveled as a couple
Adelaide, Australia
5 of 5 stars Reviewed February 24, 2009

Gorgeous suite and wonderful service, great location, friendly staff, very tasty and good buffet dinner and breakfast. Will recommend and will be back...5 STARS *****

• Stayed February 2009, traveled as a couple
Adelaide
1 of 5 stars Reviewed January 30, 2009

I do not know where to begin. We checked in, the room we were given was not the one we had booked. The room description clearly stated airport view. We went back down to the reception where not only was I insulted by the female staff member but the way she spoke to my mother...it was as if she was speaking to a five year old. She told me that the room description was just a request. Apparently if I paid the full rate, it would have been guaranteed. We were then downgraded to a room on level 3. It was daggy and old. Our "room description" stated newly refubished. If they mean 5-10 years ago....maybe. We booked a double room with 3 guests checked in. We stayed 3 nights, I should have booked us out after the first. Each day we had to call reception asking for an extra towel, an extra cup...the amentities weren't even stocked up every day. We werent given access to the pool and gym even though when we booked it said we had complimentary access. Each day we were locked out of our room, we couldn't even use the lifts! Each time we went out for over 3 hours we had to get our cards reactivated. We werent given access to the minibar. The housekeeper didn't give us milk, we bought some...and they left it there to curdle! A nice way to return to the hotel. The Concierge and Reception staff were rude and unhelpful, Room Service was a joke. We could hear people in other rooms having showers and we could hear the slightest sound. I was really upset over the staff's treatment of not only myself but my mother that I've developed a complex. I will never stay in a Stamford Hotel again. I did it for my mum and it truly ruined our holiday and that can never be redone.

• Liked — nothing
  • Disliked — the attitude of the staff
  • Stayed January 2009
    • 1 of 5 stars Check in / front desk
    • 1 of 5 stars Business service (e.g., internet access)

Been to Stamford Plaza Sydney Airport? Share your experiences!