“Well worth a visit” 4 of 5 stars
Review of La Grillade

La Grillade
118 Alexander St (Cnr Albany), Crows Nest, North Sydney, New South Wales 2065, Australia
(02) 9439 3707
Dining options: Reservations
Newcastle, Australia
“Well worth a visit”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed January 10, 2013 via mobile

Somewhat tucked away from most of Crows Nest's culinary action, this restaurant is well worth a visit. As part of a group of 10, service was very good and reasonably fast. The food was very good - nothing over-adventurous in style but very well cooked and presented. And the wine list carried a good range of wines and prices.

We will return...

• 4 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 4 of 5 stars Food

56% Recommend
Sydney, Australia
“Disappointing”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed January 1, 2013 via mobile

I went to La Grillade for dinner and I was dissapointed. Everything was poorly done. First our drinks - we asked for bottle of Rose and we were told that we could not have it as it was not cold and would take 30 min to put it into the fridge. And what was offered instead was rose, but completely different, not even close to what we wanted.
Also service was typically french, we were ignored for all o the evening and not even offered desserts.
We ordered steak for our main and we were dissapointed. They were not cooked at our liking and they were tough and chewy.
I would not go back there.

• 3 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 3 of 5 stars Food
Sydney, Australia
“Love this restaurant”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed December 22, 2012

I have had a couple of dinners here and have enjoyed the food and the service both times. The scallops with truffle oil for entree were very tasty and I have had the lamb and wagyu and can say they rate as some of the best that I have had. The staff were very friendly, attentive and professional. I will be back...love it.

• Visited December 2012
    • 5 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 5 of 5 stars Food
London
“Trying to be something it's not!”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed November 30, 2012

We had lunch here last week. The place looks great, but is spoilt by limited menu choices, expensive food and poor customer service.

Most of the main courses for lunch were $35-$40. For that you would expect great food. It was average.

Average also describes the customer service too. We were pretty much ignored once we had placed our order which was quite a feat given that the restaurant only had about 5 tables full and there were 3 wait staff and when we were served it was by a lady who obviously thought she was too good to be serving us and rolled her eyes at us 2 or 3 times.

I am sure that this place could be successful, if it gave the customers what they wanted rather than telling the customers what they should have!

Visited November 2012
Sydney
“Bit disappointing”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed November 4, 2012

I took a customer here last week for a lunch, there were only 4 of us and the restaurant was busy but only about half full. The service was fairly good, but I have a few complaints about the food. I had the King Salmon Tatare for an entree and it was very bland, it wasn't seasoned at all and had the most miniscule amount of truffle creme fraiche. My steak was requested rare, it was well done, I didn't want to make a fuss and make my customers uncomfortable by eating whilst I was waiting for a new order to be done so I ate it - it wasn't bad, it was a good piece of meat, it just wasn't anything close to what I asked for. I had Lyonnaise Potatoes as a side, and it was not seasoned or creamy, just boring bland slices of potato. On the good side, the Creme Caramel with compressed apple salad was very nice. Fresh, delicate and a very nice way to end a meal. Unfortunately my espresso that came with it was burnt and I left it. So all in all an average visit, and nothing like my visit 2 years ago, so maybe they were just having a bad day?

• Visited October 2012