“Schocking Mothers Day” 1 of 5 stars

Dining options: Breakfast/Brunch, Reservations, Late Night
Dining options: Breakfast/Brunch, Reservations, Late Night
“Schocking Mothers Day”
1 of 5 stars Reviewed May 13, 2013

As a glorified cafe I never expect an exceptional meal at this venue but the position is nice. On phoning to make a booking for mothers day 2013 was advised of the $75 set menu price and was happy to proceed. Arriving a our agreed 2pm slot we were seated and some 20mins later were asked if we would like to order a drink, after finding the wine we wanted was not available another 15 mins passed and finally we were presented with 3 glasses for five people and left to unscrew the bottle of white ourselves????

Entree was delivered either Luke warm or cold at 3.15 pm, main courses delivered cold at 4.10 pm after some disgruntled carry on from the table with one persons missing. Somehow there's which " was taking a little longer as the beef was ordered medium" also arrived cold. At this stage 2 of the guest had to leave and miss dessert as the time lag had being myself and partner. The bill was adjusted to reflect the appalling lunch but really the point of paying for a good day out is to recieve it. Lunch was ruined by an over booked Resturant with inexperienced staff and a kitchen working beyond its capacity.

• Visited May 2013
    • 3 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 1 of 5 stars Food

“Pay for the view!”
1 of 5 stars Reviewed May 3, 2013 via mobile

I had wanted to go to Zimzala for ages and was excited when my boyfriend booked us in for a surprise dinner.
We started with the antipasto plate which was fine- prosciutto, salami, olives, mini gherkins, artichoke, dips & a few small slices of Turkish bread. $22.00.
Our mains were terrible- hands down the worst restaurant meal I have received. My boyfriend ordered the zatar crusted lamb fillets with grilled haloumi & fattoush salad- $29.00. It was basically thin small strips of lamb over cucumber and cherry tomatoes- not a fattoush salad. The lamb was cold, the only decent part was the haloumi.
Mine was worse. I ordered the red curry spiced corn fed chicken breast, coconut rice, capsicum salsa and Asian herb salad. There was nothing on my plate that even remotely resembled the description on the menu. The chicken was not even mildly spiced with red curry- it was dry and tasteless, skin left on adding to the horrible texture. The coconut rice had no resemblance to coconut whatsoever- it was just boiled rice. The capsicum salsa was basically chopped tomato and capsicum surrounding the rice- there was no salsa to be seen. I had to laugh at the Asian herb salad- looked like a branch out of jack and the bean stalk, the leaves were all still attached to the stem. $28.00.
We tried a desert in the hope that it might redeem them and shared the chocolate peanut butter fudge pop corn sundae. Could taste the fudge and the 5 pieces of popcorn on top, other than that it was basically chocolate ice cream and cream- $14.00.
With $7.00 corkage per bottle and a sneaky addition of $11.00 for a bottle of sparkling water, be prepared for a pricey night. In the evening you can't see the view, which is essentially all you are paying for.
Do yourself a favour and go for a coffee or breakfast and leave it at that. There are plenty of quality restaurants in Cronulla, perhaps Zimzala is on the esplanade for a reason- you should walk straight past.

• Visited May 2013
    • 2 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 1 of 5 stars Food
“Can improve but no doubt will.”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed April 30, 2013

I must say we had a nice meal there. The view was fantastic and the service was friendly. Unfortunately they did the usual thing of forgetting you existed after your last course and waiting for the bill which took nearly half an hour. Apart from that the food was yummy.

• Visited December 2012
    • 3 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 4 of 5 stars Food
Sydney, Australia
“Great View, Lovely Food”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed April 6, 2013

Some friends took me to Zimzala for the first time the other night, I dont usually write reviews when I go out, but I saw some negative reviews on this site and I felt that I should pass on my experience. I dont get out to the burbs much and prefer inner city restaurants, however I was pleasantly surprised with this restaurant on the beach at Cronulla. We sat so close to the beach that it almost felt like we were in a boat! I had prawns with a coconut cakey thingy that was crispy and tasty with a mango salsa type of dressing, What yummy flavours! I then munched away on divinely, melt in your mouth pork belly and crunchie noodles. To finish I shared a chocolate sundae. It had a chocolate mousse at the bottom to die for. The service was very friendly and attentive and I couldn't fault the evening. If I venture out Cronulla way again, I will be sure to visit this restaurant, loved it.

• Visited April 2013
    • 5 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 5 of 5 stars Food
“Great view”
2 of 5 stars Reviewed March 31, 2013

Great venue for a coffee or breakfast with a sea view. Otherwise dont bother, food doesn't match the menu and service can be hit and miss.

Visited January 2013