“Great location and family friendly” 4 of 5 stars

You added Newport Beachside Hotel and Resort to your Saves list
Newport Beachside Hotel and Resort
3.0 of 5 Resort   |   16701 Collins Avenue, Sunny Isles Beach, FL 33160   |
Detroit, Michigan
“Great location and family friendly”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed December 17, 2005

We came in as Westgate timeshare owners, but the property has two names and one management group. It was very confusing when making the reservations and checking on this hotel's ratings. We had requested an upgrade to a room with a balcony, months in advance, in the end we had to contact a Westgate supervisor who worked it out with the management of the hotel one day before we arrived. We were very leary before we got to the hotel.

First the positives. Fabulous location on the beach, huge pool and kiddie pool. Activities director with adult and kid stuff planned all week. All of it free, with prizes. Good Italian restaurant on the premises with reasonable prices. Nearby shopping and restaurants.

Our room had a king bed in one half and a mini-kitchen(micro-wave, small fridge,dishes & silverware). The rooms had a pocket door that separated them with a sofa bed in the kitchen area. It was quite adequate for the two of us. Lots of storage space in the room. Two phones and two televisions. A jetted bathtub in the bathroom.

Now for the not so positive. The room was somewhat musty and luckily we had a door to our balcony to open for fresh air. One side of the building has rooms without balconies/doors and windows that do not open. Since all of the rooms are smoking rooms, getting a room without ventilation could be real trouble if you are allergy prone. Luckily,we were able to deal with the mustiness.

We had several small issues during our stay:lightbulb burned out, not enough towels,blinking light etc. It took several days to resolve simple things and some were never resolved. Nothing that would keep us from coming back.

For Westgate owners, this property is not up to the standards of newness and sparkling clean facilities as are the other properties in Northern Florida. What it has over those properties is the ocean. There is nothing like going to sleep with the sound of the waves outside and waking up to a beautiful beach with available lounge chairs,a playground,and lots of beach toys to rent. Beach towels are free,there is a bar/restaurant by the pool for food and drinks and a hottub for those so inclined. Would I trade the beach for Mickey Mouse? Not anytime soon!

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (329)
A TripAdvisor Member
4 of 5 stars Reviewed October 24, 2005

We stayed 2 days pre-cruise at the Newport Beachside Resort, great place to go if you trying to budget in Miami-that's a tough one budget in Miami! The hotel and it's surroundings are very clean with plenty for the kids to do. We didn't have a car so I don't know about the parking, we walked across the street for soda and snacks and had pizza delivered for dinner. We did do breakfast at the restaurant, nothing to get excited about but it will fill you up and get you started for the day. The drinks at the tiki bar are VERY expensive, go across the street and get your own beer, I think a Bud Light was $4.50 and it wasn't served in a pretty cup either! We are not smokers and the smell in the rooms were not a problem, you could always take a candle and burn it, we brought ours back home. Overall we were very pleased with our stay and would ceratinly go back, children here is not a problem.

Ocean View, Delaware
4 of 5 stars Reviewed September 11, 2005

We (hubby, 9-year-old son and I) decided to stay in north Miami, to avoid all the late-night noise and chaos of Southbeach. He chose this hotel. The hotel is very nice, very well-kept with friendly staff. It is appealing both inside and out. However, my husband had requested non-smoking, but we were informed that there are non-smoking rooms there at all once we arrived. Lovely--my son and I are allergic to smoke, I think I had a headache and congestion the entire time. You can't even open the windows to air that stench out! Yes, it reeked of smoke.
The pool was nice, but it's more for the kids. The beach is great, had lots of fun there. If it wasn't for the smoke, I'd say this is a very nice place. But, I will not be staying there again due to the smoke.
Note: DO eat at Mama Bella's restaurant inside the hotel. It is EXCELLENT Italian food. It is not pricey either, and you WILL be filled up! It's non-smoking too :)

• Stayed August 2005
Springfield, VA
4 of 5 stars Reviewed August 9, 2005

My fiancé and I chose the Newport Beachside Hotel and Resort based on the reports shared by others on Trip Advisor. We were very happy with the hotel. Check-in and check-out was a breeze. The staff was always accommodating and pleasant. The room was very clean and they changed the towels everyday despite the fact we planned to follow the “save water” plan and use the towels twice. The breakfast buffet was worth the $10 per person.

We really enjoyed the beach it was always clean, though some seaweed would drift in by the end of the day. It’s an ocean what do you expect? There is construction next door but I did not find the noise bothersome.

The restaurants in the hotel are good. There is also a great seafood restaurant within a 5 minute walk from the hotel, called Capt. Nate’s Seafood Grill Market and Bar. The staff is very welcoming and they treat you like family. The seafood is fresh and cooked just the way you want it. The best part is the prices are quite inexpensive. Our bill was less than $35.00 for two for dinner.

I enjoyed my stay at the Newport Beachside and will surely go back again.

Ilinois
4 of 5 stars Reviewed August 8, 2005

Let me preface this by saying that I read all the reviews on TripAdvisor before staying at this hotel, and I had some reservations about it because some of the reviews included some really negative comments. However, despite what some of those reviews said, we did not encounter any problems with the staff (they were helpful and accomodating) or the hotel rooms (definitely no bugs or anything like that), and there were no problems with unsavory hotel guests or noise.

This is by no means a luxury hotel, but it was perfectly fine for 5 college seniors on spring break. For a four-night stay, we each paid only about $110 a person for a suite. It was a great deal. Plus, it was amazing to be able to walk out the back door and have the pool and the beach right there.

We also were concerned about staying at this hotel because we knew we would spend a lot of time in South Beach, which is several miles away (and some reviews said it was expensive to travel back and forth). But the bus stop is close to the hotel, and it costs less than $2 a person, and the public transportation system is easy to use (we used the bus to get to South Beach and to the nearby mall).

The trip to South Beach on the bus is 25-35 minutes. If you want to take a cab to or from South Beach, it is about $35, but, again, it's fine if you split it between 4 or 5 people. We only occasionally took a cab, so we didn't end up spending much extra money on ground transportation.

Bottom line: this hotel is great option for 5 college students wanting to hit the beach, the pool, and South Beach clubs and bars while sticking to a budget

• Stayed March 2005
A TripAdvisor Member
4 of 5 stars Reviewed July 27, 2005

Just came back from Miami after staying 8 days at Newport Resort.
Overall very good place to stay at north beach. Rooms are spacious and clean. Housekeeping is good. There is a basic kichenette in the room; we effectively used it for breakfast and lunches. On the south side of hotel there is a condo construction and noisy. When you book online you get the "city view" rooms that do not have a balcony. We got this nice city view looking north which also had a nice view of the beach and ocean. Unfortunately windows do not open. We are all nonsmokers and all the rooms are smoking but luckily there was no smell.
Beach is beautiful with lounges and tiki huts; lounges are free huts& umbrellas are $10/d. I bought an umbrella from walmart for $15. Nothing to complain about the beach and the ocean. Pool is always crowded but good for kids` activities. I`m little concerned about hygene when 50kids are in the pool. Who cares about the pool when there is the ocean?
Towels are given by the pool and included in the $5/d resort fee. This fee also includes local phone calls and daily newspaper; reception does not tell about it so ask what is included and claim those stuff. Hotel has a good restaurant but not that cheap. There are so many restaurants in walking distance you donot have to worry about it. Grocery store across street as well as cvs.
If you are going to be confined to the hotel and enjoy the sea only you do not need a car. If you will tour miami with your car or rental I strongly recommend you to use the valet service, $10/d in/out priviliges; car stays cool down in the garage. Open lot is $5/d and across the street.
Thinks I did not like:
No place to dry the bathing suits or towels in the room
Housekeeping may come to tidy up at 8 am- hang do not disturb card as needed
Need to return beach towels before 7pm o/w $15 fine
bathroom may get soaked with water- no floor drain- be careful not to spill much during shower put towel etc on floor etc
no room in coffee- need to pick your daily coffee from downstairs- that`s a joke.
Ask for what is included in the resort fee when you check in.
17% gratuity added to everything you buy from the hotel- I kept my ice cooler filled with drinks and food at the beach.

Overall, a very nice place to stay; would stay again

Florida
4 of 5 stars Reviewed July 24, 2005

I stayed at the hotel on July 2005. I wasn't really expecting much from the hotel. The outside didn't impress me much, so I wasn't expecting much from the hotel, but when I got inside, it suprised me. I was amazed and delighted to see how neat, fun and great this hotel is. We got two rooms. My father, stepmom, grandfather, and cousins stayed there. The service was wonderful. The beds were really comfortable and the view very enjoyable. Personel was super nice to us. Kids, adults and seniors have a wonderful time. I totally recommended to everyone, I bet they'll all enjoy it very much!

• Stayed July 2005

Been to Newport Beachside Hotel and Resort? Share your experiences!