“BEWARE THIEFS in the maintenance people” 1 of 5 stars

You added Newport Beachside Hotel and Resort to your Saves list
Newport Beachside Hotel and Resort
3.0 of 5 Resort   |   16701 Collins Avenue, Sunny Isles Beach, FL 33160   |
Chicago Illinois
“BEWARE THIEFS in the maintenance people”
1 of 5 stars Reviewed June 12, 2005

We decided to exchange our beautiful time share in Embassy Maui resort for this one because it would expire. The hotel is very average and getting old, needs remodeling which they are doing on a daily basis and you can hear it.
The timeshare sales people were contacting us on a daily basis, which was not necessary because we already have one. Anyway we had to attend their party. The pool is very small, warm once in a while so we could get wet even when the weather was not that great.
The third day we left the room to go to the beach and my husband accidently left the wallet in the room, we were gone for about 45 minutes.
When we came back, the wallet was gone with 300 bucks cash. I was afraid that something like this might happen and refused daily maintenance in our room. This was the first day when I asked them to come and clean.
when we appoached the teller and security, the outcome was futile.
This kind of ruined our mood at this hotel and we decided to go to Orlando for the remainder of the trip!
About 4 month later, the wallet was mailed to us , of course with the cash missing.
It was found in the local mailbox by the mailman who when we called him said he does finds wallets there on occasion...

I think everyone should be aware of this, because it obviously happens veryfrequently and the thief is still employed beside the theft reports. They can track down the suspect if they care, because they know exactly which personnel enters the room by card they use. But they didn't get very upset when we complained. To keep the things quiet they offered transfer to another resort for extra fee. The best they could get us was 150 speciall for 3 days in Orlando Westgate resort. When we got there we found out that the special was only if we attend time share again. My husband set time around 8am to go to time share presentation. He went alone because me being 6 mos pregnant and with 18 months old I thought it was OK if we don't go. He was attacked by the time share personel that if we don't show there all of us we lose the special and we have to pay 300 per night.
I complained again, but they didn't care. So we all had to attend the earliest time share presentation the next day around 6.30 - 7.00am at our last day there in order to avoid very high fees.

• Stayed December 2004
21 Thank drugarka

Washington DC
2 of 5 stars Reviewed June 4, 2005

My husband and two young kids and I stayed here over the Memorial Day weekend. Our kids loved the hotel - they enjoyed the pool, the room size and the birds in the hotel lobby. I thought the room was a great size for a family of four, and with kids, the fridge and microwave came in handy. The beach was great as well and didn't get too crowded while we were there. On the negative side, we found the service to be uniformly TERRIBLE. I don't think we had one friendly or helpful exchange with a single staff person, from the desk clerk who checked us in (bored, surly and unhelpful), to the restaurant where we ate lunch (we showed up at 1:00 and stood waiting for some time, with staff people avoiding eye contact so they didn't have to seat us - I finally had to call to a waiter across the room and tell him we were sitting down!), to the maids who never said hello. The clientele was quite mixed, and there were not many families staying there, though it seemed there were a lot of families paying from the outside and using the pool, which got quite crowded. There was no lifeguard or any kind of supervision at the pool area, which gets really crowded on the shallow side. While we were there, a couple engaged in some inappropriate behavior at poolside - particularly in front of a pool full of kids!

11 Thank M&CMother
2 of 5 stars Reviewed June 1, 2005

I followed a piece of advice, call the hotel to make reservations. This place is a timeshare hotel and tends to overbook. When you do so request a printout of your confirmation. They tried to tell me that I was to check out the day before. They offered us a room in another hotel for $200/night or the same room for $200/night. I mentioned Trip Advisor and their previous reviews and by the time we got to our room they phoned and offered the additional night at the original rate. They also charged for an extra car for valet parking. This is a nice hotel for families. The rooms are all smoking but didn't smell that bad. The pool area is great but construction next door is continuing. There is plenty room to store belongings but the suite is small. The fitness center is average with a treadmill, a couple of bikes and weight machines. The guy who runs the center needs to learn gym etiquette. Just because he is having a personal training session doesn't mean he should turn off the TV that I was watching while bicycling without asking and turn on "Saturday Night Fever" or turn off the fan while my husband & I were working out because his session is over. I guess they don't know how to deal with the regular paying customers. I wouldn't ever stay there again.

7 Thank goodie3
3 of 5 stars Reviewed May 19, 2005

Just returned from the Newport last night. I was there with my 2 year old son, an old friend and her 1 year old daughter. I will start with what I DID like about the hotel ( refuse to call it a resort). The beach was awesome. We rented the tiki huts every day and they were a blessing. We could not ask for more as far as ammenities -nice pool, great kids pool, perfect beach, the Coconuts grill served great drinks (try the Tropical Paradise - yummy). The food was awesome, big juicy burgers, peel & eat shrimp, fried fish & fries, etc... However, I was so dissapointed to see that every time I ordered something, tax and 17% gratuity was included. No matter what I ordered, and no matter if I had to wait for it or if it was delivered to me pool-side or on the beach, the tip was included. I feel that I should decide how much to tip someone. I also feel that the staff attitued was poor because of this. (why should they work harder for you when they're already being tipped???) The italian restaurant was okay, but again the staff was totally unacommodating. We asked for napkins to clean up a spill and the guy lauged, then asked how many we wanted. HELLO!!! As many as it takes to clean up the mess!! Every time I asked the vallet guys to recommend somewhere to eat with the kids, they just looked at me and shrugged their shoulders. The only place that we loved was Tuna's, about a 10 minute drive and it was awesome. We asked where we could do some shopping and they sent us to the boardwalk in Hollywood which was nice, but they never suggested that we go to downtown south beach (shame on us for being clueless I guess).
If you're traveling with kids, there is a Publix about 5 minutes away so we went and stocked up on milk, breakfast and lunch foods, snacks, etc.. The fridge in the room was much larger than we expected so there was plenty of room for everything we bought.
There was construction going on every day but Sunday. They only time this bothered us was at 7am when they started but as another reviewer mentioned, there is construction going on everywhere in Miami, so I doubt we could have avoided this. If you show your room key at the pier, you don't have to pay anything to walk it which was nice.
Also, keep in mind that people who are not guests of the hotel are allowed to pay a fee and use the pool. They are also alowed to be on the beach, so the weekends were quite crowded.
All in all, we did have a great time but were still a bit dissapointed with a lot of aspects of this hotel. I dont think we will return.

13 Thank beachbumtoo
Glen Ellyn IL
5 of 5 stars Reviewed May 2, 2005

We were expecting a run-down resort. We were very pleased to find the amenities very clean. The pool area was great for our kids. The waitresses were very friendly and had a good presence on the beach. Drinks were never far away. The Italian restaurant was FANASTIC and not as expensive as I would have imagined. The beach was extremely clean and renting the cabanas or umbrellas for only $10/5 for the day was a hit with mom giving the kids some shade. We will definitely go back next year. The 1/2 hour ride on the wave runner was a blast...$55. I would get the presidential suite next time...same price as 2-Bedroom with 2 balconies!
The construction next door was not heard on the weekend and definitely not noticed on the beach. Overall great experience. Brakfast buffet is a great bargain to start your day $8.95 adults and $4.95 for kids with omlet station and all the meats,eggs,bagels,cereals,pancakes,waffles,fruit,OJ,etc.
I would be happy to answer questions.

• Stayed April 2005
7 Thank footballguy
United States
1 of 5 stars Reviewed April 29, 2005

As a Westgate owner, I have always been pleased with the Westgate Resorts we have either traded out for or stayed at. This one is really just a Hotel masquerading as a "condo" timeshare.

Our "two bedroom" one bath "villa" was really a hotel room with one full bedroom, one bedroom that had a pocket door sliding to close it off from the "living room", which consisted of a loveseat-sized couch and a coffee table that bumped into the "breakfast" counter. The couch converted into a murphy sofa bed that took up the entire room, problematic if you have to use the bathroom during the night, that was located on the OPPOSITE side of each bedroom.

Oh the joys of crawling over someone sleeping in order to make it to the bathroom.

The "kitchenette" was a joke. I think it had a microwave and dorm size refrigerator hidden away in a cabinet. All I really remember was a 2 person/4 cup coffee maker for a "villa" that could ideally sleep 6 people. Oh yes! And the titled counter that you could sit at ONLY if you moved the cocktail table away from the sofa. And the stools were almost the same height as the counter so if you did try to sit there, it was like having a lap tray instead of a counter to work at.

The pool area was ok, if you didn't mind the 7:00 am - 5:00 pm construction work that was going on OVERHEAD. I didn't have much faith in the "netting" that was supposed to catch construction debris. Better to sit down by the ocean on the beach.

Breakfast buffet was reasonably priced, but we had to wait 20 minutes for ALL fresh food to be prepared and brought out to the steamers.

Gratuity is included in ALL the "in house" restaurants and bars, so, needless to say, service is SLOW, SLOW, SLOW! I mean, even when we went TO the bar for soft drinks, you had to wait in line for 10-15 minutes. For a COKE!

You have to pay $5 per day for self parking or $10 per day for valet parking. It's worth the extra $5 to go for the valet. Also, there is a $3 or $5 a day "resort activity" fee that is mandatory - this is so you can get the paper every day, have extra amenities at the resort like the jet ski vendor, etc.

The plus side was the place was clean, nobody bothered us to buy a timeshare, the ocean was beautiful and you could buy wireless internet access for $10 a day or $22.00 for 3 days.

This resort would be best for a couple or a couple with small children that plans on eating out all the time. NO WAY do 4 adults fit comfortably here and there is not enough living space in the "living room." Other than the couch, the only other seating were those dorky counter stools.

I'd say this is more of a hotel than a "villa" room/suite.

27 Thank FoodieByChoice
3 of 5 stars Reviewed April 27, 2005

We stayed here for 5 days in mid-February 2005. The photo of the pool/beach area sold me on it. I had a hard time rating this place because I have completely opposed opinions of this hotel/resort. First the hotel part, which I have a negative opinion of. The lobby is okay, we didn't find the birds to be annoying - in fact my daughter loved them. The room's spread and drapes are in bright, garish colors, the stools and couch have worn fabrics, and the teal carpet was stained. There is an abundant use of mirrors - they are everywhere - but not, thankfully, on the ceiling. Photo of room doesn't show how worn the room is. The fact that they call them "luxury suites" are a joke. I was tempted, while at Marshalls across the street, to buy more tasteful decor for the room. The one good thing about the room was it was large and had a sliding door to section off the room. Our room was on the street side. A very busy, loud street! We asked to be moved to a quieter room three times but where told there were no rooms available come back later - we gave up. We were given 2 coupons/per day (there were 4 of us) for the breakfast buffet and thought it was pretty good. We ate at the hotel's restaurant and thought the food there was pretty good. Once you pass through the doors to the beachside everything changes. The beach is so nice and clean with swaying palm trees for shade. Dispite the fact that there is construction going on next door we found it to be very relaxing. In fact if you look up or down the beach you will see cranes and construction going on so it would probably be hard to find a spot that didn't have some construction going on nearby. You will also be paying a resort fee of I think $5/day added to your rate. There are cabanas (+$10/day) and water toys to rent, there are beach chairs available - go early on a good day, and Andre (I hope I got his name right) works very hard serving food and drinks to guests. There is a play area for kids, volleyball court (fee), and hammock. They charge you to go on the pier - $1 just to walk out on it and I think it was around $6 to fish off it. The restaurant on the pier looked dirty so we didn't eat there. The pool area is decent, the water is warm, there is a small slide, and there are lots of kids in it (which can be good or bad depending on your frame of mind). The poolside bar serves up the BEST pina coladas I have ever had! It will cost you to park - either valet for $10/day or you could cross the very busy street for $5/day. Be forwarned drivers do not give pedestrians the right of way in fact they seem to speed up if they see you crossing the street. I think if they remodel the rooms this place could be above average but in its present condition I would have to rate it a 2 for hotel and a 4 for beachside. Don't like all the added fees either.

11 Thank ruleoffour
Marenas Beach Resort
#4 of 8 in Sunny Isles Beach
4.0 of 5 stars 1,019 reviews
Thunderbird Beach Resort Hotel Miami
Thunderbird Beach Resort Hotel M...
#8 of 8 in Sunny Isles Beach
Golden Strand Ocean Villa Resort
Golden Strand Ocean Villa Resort
#5 of 8 in Sunny Isles Beach
3.5 of 5 stars 230 reviews

Been to Newport Beachside Hotel and Resort? Share your experiences!