“Nice place to stay!” 4 of 5 stars

3.0 of 5 Resort   |   16701 Collins Ave, Sunny Isles Beach, FL 33160   |
Brooklyn, New York
“Nice place to stay!”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed July 26, 2014

I stayed at the Newport Beachside Resort Hotel for five nights beginning July 17, 2014. The rooms were clean, although my room's rug was tattered. Some rooms are more renovated than others. The staff were very friendly and helpful. For example, I needed a wheel chair for my sister and the hotel allowed me to use theirs for the entire stay. At one point, they had a shortage of towels which was a little annoying. But the hotel maid was helpful in giving me a few later in the day. Also be aware that the elevators are small and are crowded most of the time. Be prepared for a long wait or opt to take the stairs. The gift store sells tee shirts and other items. But Wings is a short walk from the hotel and has a better variety along with cheaper prices. The beach and the pool are the highlights of this hotel. They were crystal clean and so very warm. All in all, I would stay at this hotel again and use what I now know to enhance my stay.

Room Tip: Choose a room that is not overlooking the parking area. Make sure that the door to the balcony clos...
  • Stayed June 2014, traveled with family

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (245)
Norfolk, Virginia
2 of 5 stars Reviewed July 22, 2014

My stay was not at all pleasant. They charge you ridiculous fees the staff was rude. It is always crowded & children every where. The lobby is nice with exception of annoying birds. Oh let's not forget the long waiting in line for front desk.

• Stayed March 2014
Miami, Florida
4 of 5 stars Reviewed July 22, 2014

This hotel is at a great area! Right on the beach and practically near everything. You can get to South Beach in about 15 mins. I must say their rooms do need improvement BUT their amenities make up for it. The pool and the beach are nice. The valet guys are very friendly. Kitchen 305 is absolutely amazing and their Spa is breathtaking ( not to mention their services) which are outstanding. So visit this hotel is you are looking for quality of service NOT quality of rooms.

• Stayed July 2014
2 of 5 stars Reviewed July 21, 2014

I should have heeded other reviewer's warnings before staying here but oh well, we stayed there the week of July 14th. Check in was at 3 but we arrived early and alerted the front desk that we were here. They advised us to either leave the bags with the concierge or holding our bags until check in. Upon seeing that the concierge keeps the bags in the bar unattended and unsecured we opted to watch our own bags! Oh before I go on if you are using a vehicle I do advise you to valet your car instead of self park. Trying to cross busy Collins avenue to get to your car is taking a chance. Beside you have to hunt for an open space if THERE IS AN OPEN SPACE. I reserved 2 rooms and at the 3pm check in time I waited in line to check in and they said one of the rooms wasn't ready and they wanted to give me a room on a different floor and I refused as I wanted both rooms on the same floor. They advised me that it will take 15 minutes because the cleaning staff was still preparing and cleaning the rooms and they gave me vouchers for free drinks at the tiki hut. 15 minutes later I waited in line again to find out that they are still cleaning the room and I had to wait until 4. 4Pm came and was advised again that they are still cleaning so they gave us glasses of champagne for our wait. 5pm came and the rooms were ready and I was pleasantly surprised at how nice they were.

The elevators are slow and small because the hotel is constantly crowded, doesn't matter if it's 3am. I didn't bother to go to the pool because it was overcrowded with kids, I just went straight to the ocean which was a treat. The beach is well kept and the water is crystal clear with fish swimming around you. I don't know how the restaurants food was because I was mostly out of the hotel. The thing that put me over the top on the negative side was one day before checkout I looked at my bank statement and noticed a $200 hold and went straight to the front desk to find out what it was. I was advised that they put a $200 hold on my credit card because the cleaning staff found evidence that I was smoking in my room. I don't smoke people and I have asthma!! After arguing with them for a while they said they will talk to the head of the cleaning staff to see if the charge was false or not. I didn't get an answer until the day I checked out that they were going to take the hold off my card for the smoking charge. Maybe the incompetent cleaning staff was so inefficient at their job that they thought that I left cigarette residue laying around.

Needless to say you've been warned!

Room Tip: Stay in a pool view room or oceanfront room.
  • Stayed July 2014, traveled with family
Miami, Florida
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 19, 2014

We recently took advantage of the King Crab dinner on a Friday! We were certainly spoiled!
Everyone was so friendly, the service was fast and very accomodating. Our 2.5 year old son was made feel like a king. Yana and Armanda made us feel very special.
The King Crab were fresh and yummy, the drinks were great, the restaurant had a nice Friday evening atmosphere! We never write reviews, this experience was certainly worth it!
Great job, can't wait to return!

Stayed July 2014, traveled with family
Toronto, Canada
3 of 5 stars Reviewed July 17, 2014

My girlfriends and I booked a 3 night stay at Newport Beachside in June 2014 for my friend's bachelorette. We booked it as a package with airfare from Toronto for a really good price, but we actually had another place to stay in south beach, which is where we ended up spending most of the time...

When we arrived at the hotel, I was pleasantly surprised with the lobby. Very cute, nice seating and fans, cute bird cages too. But that's where the love ended. The elevators to the rooms were extremely slow! One was out of order or at least it was stuck on the 7th floor the whole night. When we finally got up to our room, it was NOT the "suite" the package said it would be. There was no separate sitting area, just 2 beds, a desk, a tiny little bar with a microwave, and a bathroom. Long story short, we got out of there quickly and were glad we had somewhere else to stay.

We did come back to the hotel at the end of the trip for our final night. Valet parking was not terribly expensive so we were happy to do it for the one night (although any longer would get pricey). We went back to our room begrudgingly and all wanted to take showers. First one in, water pressure was horrible, bathtub was nasty and the shower flooded the entire bathroom!
On top of that they didn't even give us enough towels so we had to get house keeping and maintenance up to our room at 10PM at night. That was a good thing though, they were fairly quick to get someone up to us so there's a plus.
The beds were comfy, but there were just little details that were very unappealing to the eye (weird cut outs in the headboard for the electrical cords, ugly bathroom tiles that were mismatched, etc.).

The saving grace for the hotel was the beach. The beach was absolutely lovely! We went down the next morning before our flight, just to catch some rays and it was perfect. The guys that help you with the chairs were great and the beach was nice and close! The pool...not as nice. Bird poop everywhere, not very clean water. I realize this cannot always be helped so I don't have unrealistic expectations, but I have been to other hotels by a beach that do not have this problem.

All in all, perhaps if we were given another room, this review would be a 4 out of 5, rather than a 3. I didn't give it a 2 because it really it's a dump or a horrible place, it just needs a rouge! If you're thinking of staying here, just don't expect anything of grandeur. And maybe ask for another room if you don't like the one you have (we definitely would have done so if we were staying there for our whole trip).

• Stayed June 2014, traveled with friends
Miami Beach, Florida
1 of 5 stars Reviewed July 16, 2014

This hotel is a joke. I work in hospitality in Las Vegas at A AAA 4 Diamond Rated Property. I checked in at 5am, doing this job myself i knew it was to early to check into the hotel without paying for an additional night(that option was not offered to me)If this were to happen at my property we would let the guest know what the rate was for that night and offer it to them so they didn't have to wait until the normal check in time which is 3pm. The clerk was rude and looked absolutely terrible, unprofessional uncombed hair and uniform untucked, which looks incredibly sloppy. I wasn't expecting to check in, i had a plan to go relax by the oceanside. The clerk told me that she was sorry and couldn't do anything so i had to wait. Strike 2 for this place. I asked her if she'd like to take my information down and contact me when the room becomes available. She takes my info, and tells me to wait in the lobby. No bell services were offered, or any activities to do while waiting for my room. Once i asked the manager 7 hours later if my room was ready, she was very rude and pushy. She tells me that my room isn't ready and tells me she cannot do anything for me. I head over towards the belldesk to retrieve my luggage and the manager shouts my name across the lobby to tell me she made a mistake and that my room is ready. The room was very nice, exactly what i booked for. I called the concierges when i got to the room to see if they could recommend a good seafood restaurant, the concierges had the nerve to ask me if I had google on my phone!!!! I was absolutely insulted by Sophia(concierges), I asked her if she was the concierges after she replied yes i asked her if it was in her job title to assist guests with reservations and recommending thing, she replied yes again and i told her it would be in her best interest to assist me and help me with what i asked her to assist me with. I went out to ride jet Skies and do a couple excursions came back to my room and set my phone down to head to the restroom to freshen up and there were ants on the floor near the toilet. After leaving the restroom i went to pick my phone up off the counter and it was covered with ants. I called down to the front desk(who would normally dispatch engineering to come and take a look at the issue)they sent a housekeeper with a can of Bug spray(no Label on the can)She asked me where she needed to spray I asked her what she was here to spray and she said bugs!!!! I politely sent her away and Packed my bags. I called and made reservations at the FontaineBleau!!! Which is an amazing(AAA 4 Diamond Property What i am used to)Before i left, I spoke with a manager who was wonderful, she did tell me that she was in the process of changing the way the hotel is operated. She canceled my reservation apologized and paid for my cab ride over to the FontianeBleau. I would not recommend tis hotel to anyone. (This is not an adult only property, Not a good hotel if you're looking to be away from children, they are everywhere and loud) This property doesnt deserve a rating.

Room Tip: They allow children at this hotel, they are also pet friendly which is absolutely disgusting. Concie...
  • Stayed July 2014, traveled with friends

Been to Newport Beachside Hotel and Resort? Share your experiences!