I am a physician and my wife is a business owner; we were in Miami for a professional conference. We used Priceline, the option where you pick three star and North Miami Beach location-- and they put us here at Newport. I now have a call in to Priceline demanding that they remove Newport. Here is the sequence of events for our three-day stay: (1) we arrive at midnight Thursday night and the desk clerk says our room is not available due to flooding on the 5th floor; in compensation, they say we can stay down the road at the Ramada-- a similar quality hotel for the same rate we paid (equal exchange; the two hotels have this arrangement in such cases); (2) incredibly, the clerk says we can just walk down to the Ramada. On further questioning, she then states it is ~ a mile away. We insist on some cab fare and she gives us 30 bucks out of their petty cash drawer; (3) We get to Ramada and they know the drill-- this seems to happen often. This hotel is in similar dis-repair as the Newport, only to a more severe degree. Incredibly, at Ramada, they tried to charge us for their resort fee. The room was filthy, but at 1 in the morning and an exit back to Newport in the morning, we acquiesced. (4) Next day, we get our room at Newport. The room was not as ordered (wrong bed arrangement, less of a view than we had paid for). So, we get another room, and incredibly it is on the 5th floor, where of course we see no sign of water damage. The windows are 1970 variety and you can barely see out because they have not been cleaned in several years. (5) We made the mistake of breakfast at Newport the next day; sweet girls staffing the place, but the coffee was 1/4 strength and the food definitely mass produced with no taste. I felt sorry for the staff, because they try hard but were serving a deficient product. (6) The lobby is a virtual zoo-- indeed, with a couple of bird cages. Kids love that, I guess, and there were lots and lots of those running around; I like kids, had three of my own, so that was not the problem. Problem was too many people and noise in the lobby. (7) Unfortunately, the last night of the stay, we had made arrangements for my son to stay in a separate room just for that one night-- a room that we also got on Priceline. Incredibly, when he checks in, they tell him that he will have to stay at, you guessed it, the Ramada; before they could fabricate a reason this time, we lit into the staff pretty seriously given our Ramada experience the previous evening. With a little pressure like this, it was amazing how a great room just opened up, within seconds of them ready to send another couple down the street to a true dump. The ethics of this business are at an extreme low; in fact, again, I feel somewhat sorry for the employees as they generally seem like hard-working people who want to do a good job-- but obviously are forced to practice in a way that optimizes the hotel profits. As we talked to more of the workers in a friendly tone, it was incredible how sorry they were, how this stuff happens "all the time".
So, please stay somewhere else. The location is good, but the filthy rooms, the insufficient elevator capacity that others have commented on (I always took the stairs the five flights, even with luggage because I did not want to waste 10-15 minutes), and the unethical business practice that I observed indicates this place is not worth the chance.
- Official Description (provided by the hotel):
- Just minutes from Miami and Fort Lauderdale, Newport Beachside Resort offers world-class services combined with outstanding value in a beautiful oceanfront setting. 300 guest rooms include those with an ocean or cityscape view and those with balconies overlooking the ocean. Resort amenities feature oceanfront pool, on-site restaurants, cabanas, children's playground and historic pier. ... more less
- Reservation Options:
- TripAdvisor is proud to partner with Expedia, Orbitz, BookIt.com, Booking.com, Hotels.com, Odigeo and Travelocity so you can book your Newport Beachside Hotel and Resort reservations with confidence. We help millions of travelers each month to find the perfect hotel for both vacation and business trips, always with the best discounts and special offers.
- Also Known As:
- Newport Beachside Hotel Sunny Isles Beach
- Newport Beachside Resort
- Newport Miami Beach
- Newport Hotel Miami Beach
- Newport Beachside Hotel Resort
- Newport Beachside Hotel And Resort Florida/Sunny Isles Beach