“Major Improvements Fantastic Nightlife/Dining & Gorgeous Spa” 4 of 5 stars

You added Newport Beachside Hotel and Resort to your Saves list
Newport Beachside Hotel and Resort
3.0 of 5 Resort   |   16701 Collins Avenue, Sunny Isles Beach, FL 33160   |
Centennial, Colorado
“Major Improvements Fantastic Nightlife/Dining & Gorgeous Spa”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed March 6, 2013

The Westgate Miami AKA Newport Beach Hotel & Resort has improved over the past few years! 2008-2012 was a time for major improvements, unlike most resorts which took their money and put it into their pockets, this resort worked hard to improve their rating. I had such a nice time and a wonderful upscale remodeled room (no requests made, it was just given to me just as anyone would get). I actually requested to see other rooms - such as the front view of the ocean etc) and each of the four rooms I viewed were just as gorgeous as my own (oceanview/poolside view - 7th floor). The staff was amazing! Every day, without a whistle, my room was straightened out (could it be that I am a friendly tipper? - nothing big, just courteous) and fresh towels were brought up to us. We were 5 in the room and we felt perfectly comfortable. Did I mention the awesome Steak & Lobster special on Wed night? I think all of Miami lined up for this amazing and great deal. The restaurant turned into a late night "disco" scene and we all had a blast! We also felt comfortable about our in and out parking priveleges at $20 per day - we felt that the valet team earned every bit of it - they all were awesome and friendly. Check out all the previous reviews - if they are older than 2012, you are missing out on a great deal - you definately want to give this place another look! I think they spent hundreds of thousands in their remodels of the Main Lobby, Lower Lobby and Spa/Exercise room (wow - state of the art!), restaurant and bar - superb! I just can not get over the service at the front desk - these guys mean to please! But beware - check in and check out is on Saturday and this could prove to be a busy day - but the staff are still smiling (take a look at what they need to do!). Fabulous location - right smack between South Beach (crowds) and Fort Lauderdale (Super Crazy Nightlife). Oh yeah - the beach is fabulous - and the pool is quite refreshing. One thing I will admit - they need a new jacuzzi - larger - for more mingling. Did I mention that they have activity hour every day for kids? Almost a babysitting event (but you need to be there if your children are young!)

Room Tip: All oceanview rooms have a balcony - each two bedroom has a king size bed off the balcony - open the...
  • Stayed July 2012, traveled with friends

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (348)
Thornhill, Canada
4 of 5 stars Reviewed March 4, 2013

We stayed at this resort for 7 days. The room was large, dated but had all the amenities we needed. We used the mini fridge for a few basic groceries from Publix and enjoyed eating our healthy breakfasts in our room. There were always lounges available in the pool area. The live music at the pool was excellent and the daily bingo games were fun. The access to the beach and lounges and cabanas on the beach were good. The food at the pool bar was excellent. The only problem was that the sun becomes shaded by the condo building around 2 pm and the pool area gets very cold at that time. The lobby is a very busy place with people coming and going all day long. This results in the elevators being slow and congested.We rented a car and used the valet service which was very good, though on any given occasion might take a while to retrieve your car.

Room Tip: There are no coffee makers in the rooms although apparently one can be obtained upon request. Ask fo...
  • Stayed February 2013, traveled as a couple
Missouri
5 of 5 stars Reviewed February 27, 2013 via mobile

We are here on our final night of a 5 night trip. Everything and everyone has been wonderful. We stayed here in 2009 and enjoyed it but even better now. Front desk staff was great and had us in our updated room within 15 minutes. Tiki bartenders friendly and professional. Breakfast buffet staff nice but food was a little boring after 2 days. Kitchen 305 food and drinks were good. We had surf and turf and cheeseburger first night. Prime rib tonight. All staff really hustles and are friendly. Make reservations if you are here on Wednesday for all you can eat lobster. We didn't rent a car this time. Cab from FLL was $75 but used concierge for return shuttle trip. $50
Shopping across the street for supplies. Do not go to Epicure for liquor! Shop next to papa Johna for better prices. Reasonable souvenirs at wings. Great location for walking on the beach and just relaxing. Enjoyed pool side room more than ocean front. You could hear music from your balcony. Pool was loud sometimes but did not keep us up.
Looking forward to coming back next year. BTW - pier was not open yet. Looks like a lot of work left to do,

• Stayed February 2013
Sewell, New Jersey
4 of 5 stars Reviewed February 26, 2013

I purchased this reservation on a "name your own price" website. I payed $75 a night, We caught the bus at the airport and it dropped us at the door of the Resort for $2. Check in was a breeze. Our room was slightly dated,however it was very clean. The location was great right on the beach, lovely cabanas for guests and a large pool. The resort has a terrific eatery. Great dining within walking distance. Argentinian steak house was phenomenal! All in all, a very relaxing long weekend for pennies on the dollar.

• Stayed September 2012, traveled as a couple
uk
3 of 5 stars Reviewed February 25, 2013 via mobile

If you are on a small budget and only staying for a night it's ok but it's like a zoo so many people everywhere very loud reception. If you have kids don't be near the reception as the noise us awful
The pool area is dated and not the cleanest and is off putting with the amount if people in it at one time and if you put giggles on and look in the water I can assure you you won't stay in for long !!! Would we ever go back ? Not ever not even if it was free !
Breakfast area filthy dirty air con units full of dust food in the floor one morning and the same food the next morning. Need I go on !

• Stayed April 2012
Atlanta
2 of 5 stars Reviewed February 24, 2013

We stayed here for 5 days in February, with our daughter and 2 grandchildren? it was our first visit, their 7th ... and probably last.
On the positive side, we had a 2 room suite which was well laid out and clean, the swimming pool was very nice as was the beach area, there were plenty of lounge chairs, staff for the most part was cheery and friendly and we had an excellent dinner at the 305 restaurant as well as good breakfasts in another restaurant.
On the negative side, the room needed a lot of minor repairs (drawers were broken, toilet flapper had a leak so it 'flushed itself', not enough dishes, to name a few), the hot tub by the pool was destroyed in a fire in July and was still not working in February, and the bathroom near the pool was absolutely filthy. According to a handout we received at check in, there were children's activities scheduled about every two hours every day - but the only activity available was a noontime 15 minute bingo game with so few bingo cards available many children didn't get to play. No one could tell us what happened to the other scheduled but missing activities. The absolute worst, though, were the teams of sales people who constantly approached you with offers for free this or that if you would participate in a timeshare presentation. It's clear the hotel is moving into a timeshare model and 'regular' hotel guests were not anywhere near top priority.
Such a shame, because from what my daughter had told us, in prior years this was a wonderful, well kept up resort with lots of activities to keep the children busy and parents happy.
Guess we'll have to find another place for next year's mid-winter break.

• Stayed February 2013, traveled with family
Wilmington, Delaware
1 of 5 stars Reviewed February 18, 2013

Upon arrival you are impressed by the lobby and the activity. Walk out to the back as observe a hotel that looks like renovations stopped a few years ago. Very dirty and I was skeptical to go to my "renovated room". Well, to be expected, I needed a plumber that took over an hour to fix a simple flapper issue with the toilet. When he finished, I showed him where 3 bulbs were burned out in the room and he replaced them. (wonder who stayed there before me)? I went to the business center to print boarding passes and the interbet is wireless with no service. Since, I was there for a wedding on site, I really had no choice but to stay there. There was a definite odor in the room from smoke that I noticed upon arrival that really radiated through the adjoining\room door, so I called security at 12:30 a.m. All they did was call the room and I eventually fell asleep. At 4:30 a.m., I was awoken again by the adjoining room with coughing and the smoke once again coming in to my room. Security did absolutely nothing. When I checked out I was told the usual "I'm sorry" and the bill is paid. The manager was not available as there were others were also requesting to see him with a myriad of problems that had occurred in their rooms too. They don't care as they probably realize that most will be one timers and hopefully people will read this review and try to find a better place to stay. Motel 6? Might be a better choice for over $220 a night!

Room Tip: Find another hotel
  • Stayed February 2013, traveled with family
Also consider these accommodations in or near Sunny Isles Beach
Sole on the Ocean
Sole on the Ocean
#2 of 8 in Sunny Isles Beach
4.0 of 5 stars 1,199 reviews
Thunderbird Beach Resort Hotel Miami
Thunderbird Beach Resort Hotel M...
#8 of 8 in Sunny Isles Beach
Trump International Beach Resort
Trump International Beach Resort
#3 of 8 in Sunny Isles Beach
4.0 of 5 stars 1,535 reviews

Been to Newport Beachside Hotel and Resort? Share your experiences!