“Wonderful three nights” 4 of 5 stars

3.0 of 5 Resort   |   16701 Collins Avenue, Sunny Isles Beach, FL 33160   |
Cedarhurst
“Wonderful three nights”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed December 9, 2012

My husband and I took a quick getaway for three nights and had a wonderful time! This hotel is not huge like some of the other resorts in Miami Beach and it gives you a more cozy, friendly feel. The hotel is directly on the beach, and even when the air temperature was a bit breezy, the pool was nice and warm! We had a room with a terrace overlooking the pool and beach. I would certainly recommend this lovely getaway!

• Stayed December 2012

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (356)
Milton, Washington
4 of 5 stars Reviewed December 6, 2012

first impression nice place room I was given really nice but as you look around at other places around hotel you become puzzled why parts of hotel look new other parts old then I found out that the person that owns this place is selling timeshares but only updateing the rooms as they sell thats why I said weird but nice carpete in hallway old some doors in hallway are old some new so it looks like the hotel is confused but I stayed in two different rooms both new and they were nice clean beds were comfortable I liked this hotel people that worked there including the sales people were friendly nice grounds well taken care off outside bar is bartended by nice staff and the restuarant 305 is a very good place to eat 4stars. lobster and steak melt in your mouth good

Room Tip: If you book a room here call the hotel direct after and request a new updated room and if its in you...
  • Stayed December 2012, traveled as a couple
4 of 5 stars Reviewed December 4, 2012

Stayed in a ninth floor room facing the pool. After reading other reviews I requested a renovated room and it was great. Right now they have specials of you sit through a time share presentation. We didn't eat at the resturaunt but it looked nice. The beach was clean and had very few people on it.

• Stayed November 2012
Boston, Massachusetts
5 of 5 stars Reviewed November 24, 2012

I spent Thanksgiving week at this hotel and I must say it was a wonderful experience. The staff was very warm and attentive and the service from the hotel staff, spa and restaurant was phenomenal. We never had any issues or complaints. To top it off, they had an amazing Thanksgiving dinner buffet that we and our friends enjoyed very much. Plus they had great venues and entertainment all week. 5 stars hands down. Will definitely be back soon!

• Stayed November 2012, traveled as a couple
Fergus, Ontario, Canada
1 of 5 stars Reviewed November 21, 2012

I can't believe there are positive reviews about the Newport Beachside. My wife and I and our two friends and traveling companions got off a cruise and had prebooked at the Newport for a few days to extend our vacation and see some of Miami. We were promised reletively inexpensive accomodations in return for attending a presentation to which we agreed. The lobby was quite nice and that's where the nice stopped. Because we don't speak Spanish (Miami's first language), we appeared to be an exasperation to the receptionists. Our friends who didn't agree to the presentation got a free upgrade to an ocean view. We had to pay over $30 +tax /night to get an ocean view with a balcony full of pigeon poop. Our room was clean and spacious, but old and tired. Our balcony was smaller than the one we had on the cruise and the door didn't lock; it had to be held closed by an after thought slidiing bolt. The bathroom was updated, but they stopped short of nice calking or grout work.
Any of the 3 elevators, most of which did not work all at the same time, were always full. It typically took 2 elevators to stop before there was enough room to get to the 9th floor. I walked up more than once, but if you walk down you can't get out on the 1st floor. I thought the elevators were going to break apart any moment with all their squeeks, creeks and groans. There were old, scratched up and not all that clean.
We were hit with a $15/day resort fee, but apparently that gives you a white chair on the beach and an old towel. (at least they were clean). There was a hot tub big enough for a family of frogs, but it wasn't working, neither was it clean enough for frogs. It was half full of green slimy cold water with caution tape across it. The cabans on the beach were nice, but not included in the resort fee; they were another $35/day. The beach was clean, but lost all of the sun before 3:15 pm because of the surrounding tall towers and the pool and deck lost all it's sun by 12:30 pm. We managed to get breakfast included which was very ordinary and standard with bacon, sausage, powdered egges, toast, dainishes, hash browns, and cereals, but we did find the waitresses quite nice and the coffee was good.
Speaking of coffee, there were no coffee makers in the rooms so you had to go down to the lobby store for Starbucks which wasn't open when I was up at 7, so I went across to the shell station which had better coffee and cheaper.
The parking lot was across 6 lanes of Collins Ave (A1A) and you had to go around in circles and pull U turns to get there. I don't know what kind of clientel this hotel usually attracts, but everywhere you went there are signs about charging for things for instance if there were towels missing, or your towel card went missing or your key card wasn't turned in or you didn't say "Simon Says". I've never experienced that anywhere else; I would not take a hotel towel from anywhere even if they gave it to me. I don't need to steal scratchy white towels.
My wife and I made the best of it, but when we were offered 7 nights free there (if we took a time share presentation) we politely said "no thank you, not in this lifetime." Because we had agreed to listen to a 90 minute presentation for a vacation club we were promised a rate of $159 for 3 nights, but after the upgrade fee and it's associated taxes and the room tax and the resort fee tax and the tax tax we ended up when all was paid staying for $129/night. If we hadn't pre-payed, we all would have walked away quickly. I personlly know of a few hotels with much better beach areas, more suitable for children than the Newport for much less money.
All I can say is that it was clean, but I would not recommend it to anyone I know.

Room Tip: Use another hotel.
  • Stayed November 2012, traveled as a couple
Sartell, Minnesota
5 of 5 stars Reviewed November 20, 2012

This place is really nice. You may read things where it says that this place isn’t nice, the people don’t speak all English and there is better out there… BUT WAIT.. This place is VERY NICE. Took my wife and my 5 year old child there. To no fault of the hotel the place is harder to get to from both sides of the street but once you figure out the roads in Miami you are fine. We pulled up and were greeted with our doors opened up by the friendly valet service staff. You have the choice to have them park your car for $20 a day or to park it yourself (not sure where) for $15 a day. Once we got in there it took us about 4 minutes to get check in and get our room. Not to mention we got a upgraded room to a 2 bedroom suite. We didn’t rent any beach umbrellas or cabana while we are there so I can’t comment on that. The pool was nice and clean, getting towels for the pool was easy. My wife did get a massage at the spa downstairs which she really enjoyed as well. The beach was very nice. It was a bit disappointing that the pier wasn’t open yet but again no fault to the hotel. If there was 1 downfall or had to tell this business where they could improve it would be the bar areas where you get drinks and eats. What wasn’t nice is they automatically add 18% onto your tab for the tip/ gratuity. The reason I don’t like this is that the staff doesn’t have to do their job, they don’t have to bust their butts, and the service can stink and they still get their tips.

• Stayed November 2012, traveled with family
Fort Lauderdale, Florida
5 of 5 stars Reviewed November 20, 2012

Our family and friends stayed at this resort for my daughters wedding. The staff, food, and everything about this resort was great. I would highly recommend the resort. The food in Kitchen 305 was delicious. The Tiki Bar was not only fun, but very tasty food also. But the reception was great and the food at the reception was exceptional.

• Stayed November 2012, traveled with family
Also consider these accommodations in or near Sunny Isles Beach
Sole on the Ocean
Sole on the Ocean
#2 of 8 in Sunny Isles Beach
4.0 of 5 stars 1,237 reviews
Thunderbird Beach Resort Hotel Miami
Thunderbird Beach Resort Hotel M...
#8 of 8 in Sunny Isles Beach
Trump International Beach Resort
Trump International Beach Resort
#3 of 8 in Sunny Isles Beach
4.0 of 5 stars 1,587 reviews

Been to Newport Beachside Hotel and Resort? Share your experiences!