“Family friendly” 4 of 5 stars

3.0 of 5 Resort   |   16701 Collins Ave, Sunny Isles Beach, FL 33160   |
Port Orange, Florida
“Family friendly”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed November 24, 2007

Very family friendly, as well as adult friendly. New playground right on the beach. Live music on the deck. Pool bar, nice bar area inside. Recently redid lobby- looks very nice. New restaurant was being worked on- "Michael's Kitchen." Looked like it will be open soon. Staff said guest rooms are being updated in the next year. If anything like the lobby should be great. We had a two bedroom suite, and there was also a murphy bed! Great space- not cramped. Gorgeous view on the beach. Hotel right next to the pier. Easy access from 95- right at the base of the causeway. Short, interesting drive to South Beach. Will stay here again.

• Liked — Had lots to offer- food, pool, beach, location, restuaraunts, good food
  • Disliked — room furnitushings
    • 5 of 5 stars Check in / front desk
    • 5 of 5 stars Business service (e.g., internet access)

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (274)
Orlando, Florida
5 of 5 stars Reviewed November 23, 2007

Not wanting to host our family's annual Thanksgiving day meal at home, my family had arranged for all of us to visit Miami Beach for the holiday to partake in the sights that Miami has to offer. We ended up selecting the Newport Beach Resort for our stay, partly because of its price, but mainly because of its location and proximity to other family members that would be in attendance.

The reservation process was very easy and consice, which left me anticipating not a single worry about our arrival. Once we did arrive and pulled onto the ramp, we could tell we were in store for a great stay. The Valet/Bellman were very friendly and shared some friendly banter with us as they took our car and showed us to the registration desk. Check in was smooth. The desk attendant was cordial and efficient in explaining our room fees. There was a amenity fee, and valet parking fee (typical for Miami hotels as seen in other reviews on Trip Advisor). These were FAR less than fees stated in reviews of other hotels on this website. It is Miami so I did anticipate having to spend some money, but was pleasantly surprised and happy that this was far less than I had budgeted for. The lobby and entry way were modern and clean. I was later informed that it had been renovated recently.

Once arriving to our one bedroom suite, I immediatly proceded to the balcony to take in the view. The view and ocean breeze defintiley added to our stay. The room had an ingenous, built-in slider dividing the two sections. This allowed for myself to take a nap in the front part of the room, while my mate watched tv and came in and out of the balcony without disturbing my slumber. It was nice to still be in the same room, but still be allowed privacy. Our room even had a jetted tub, which proved nice after a long day of walking and sight seeing. The room did need some cosmetic updating (fixtures and paint colors), but for its age, was still standing tall. A housekeeper did explain to me that the hotel is under going rennovations, which is why the lobby was very up to date, and the rooms were the last step in the rennovation. She mentioned the new rooms would have flat screens and updated fixtures in the rooms.

For our dinner, we had arranged for a private buffet for our family of 30. Prior to the meal, we had gathered in the Mezzanine area which provided us a fun and larege "hospitality" area for us to gather and socialize prior to eating. The chef himself came greeted some of us us in passing, which wasn ice and personalized our meal. We then proceeded into a smaller meeting room, where we partook in some of the best food I have ever eaten at a hotel. I did have reservations about having "catered" food for Thanksgiving dinner, but this food far exceeded any home cooked meal and was very filling. We all left full and happy. The price was comparable as well. I do not think we could have all ate nor received such service at any chain restaurant for less than what we paid.

The rest of our stay was fun as we enjoyed the beach for family photos, and the pool for the children (which included daily games and activities). It was almost like being on a cruise as when we arrived, we had an activity schedule awaiting us with things to do throught the day and into the evening.

Check out was smooth, and there were no surprises with the bill. Our car returned un damaged, except for a seagull that left its mark. It was the beach, so this was expected.

The staff was overall friendly, the food was delicious, and the price was definitley less than I anticipated having to pay for a three day, two night vacation on Miami Beach. I would reommend this hotel to a family member and friend, and would like to return to see the room rennovations when completed.

• Liked — The location and service
  • Disliked — The room decor (which is being updated I was told)
NC
5 of 5 stars Reviewed November 23, 2007

Spent Thanksgiving at the Newport Beachside Hotel and Resort with my family and would highly recommend it to anyone looking for a great hotel in the Miami area. The hotel recently underwent a remodel and as soon as you walk into the lobby you will realize that you made the right hotel choice.
Beautiful wood fans spin overhead their Norman Miller inspired decor below. I had a great room with an ocean view that was very spacious with a killer view of the Atlantic ocean. The hotel actually has tiki huts along its beach front with beautiful palm trees that will simply make you vacation seem more like a dream than reality.
The hotel staff was extremely friendly and not stuffy like most hotels in Miami....yet very professional.
I am already looking forward to planning next year's trip to Miami which would not be complete without a stay at the Newport.

• Liked — location
  • Disliked — having to leave
  • Stayed November 2007
Indiana
1 of 5 stars Reviewed November 14, 2007

Louisa Says:

November 14th, 2007 at 11:01 pm
We stayed for a week early November. The valet service was very good. There was also a very nice woman who worked in the gift shop.

The rest of our experience with this hotel was wretched. I had called the day before leaving to make sure there was wifi service and when we arrived there was none. I have a son in the military and it was crucial to have internet so I had to set it up on my cell phone and pay extra - All week I was told they had no idea when it would be back up and running. They did offer me the computers in the lobby at $5 for 30 minutes… I had to pay.

From the moment we tried to check in (over the very loud singing in the bar that was open to the lobby) - and were told that we could not upgrade to better rooms (we were told that on the phone) - The kids playing tag around the bar…

We found that everything was $10 extra. To sit in a little hut on the beach = $10. And gratuities were built in to all the prices - 18% - so the employees did not care at all about customer service. They would walk right into me in the lobby and not even apologize. The maid service was a joke - actually watched a maid wipe off a counter, then use the same towel to clean out our glasses. We ended up cleaning the room ourselves and just asking for towels most of the week.

Our first room was hideous. The water in the bathtub was green - there was some brown unidentified substance in the bathroom under the towels. The room was outdated, the bed was horrible - Yes, it had 2 tvs, but they were so close together that everytime you used the remote, it changed both tvs. The “blackout drapes” did not cover the window at all. Our view was of air conditioning condensers which spewed out some weird bright green liquid by the gallons into the valet parking lot.

I went to the desk and was told to suck it up. Then I went to the bell desk and asked for a manager. I was so upset that I was crying. The manager put us in a better room. I was shocked that ALL of the windows were riveted shut - you’d have to throw something very large to get air if there was a fire.

The manager told me that all the water in Miami was green and that they all bathed in it and drank it. The 3 people with me did drink the water from the tap and they all had stomach problems. I did not drink the green water. In our second room the water still had a little green tint to it, but it wasn't dark green like in the first room.

The pool was nice, but the buildings shade it before noon and it is very windy there all the time. Also - the very loud, blaring music - either from the lounge singers or radio was unnerving.

The beach was the same - it was shaded by 1 or 2pm by all the very large buildings. There is also building going on everywhere around - including inside the hotel. Do not plan on napping in the hotel during the day. And the elevators would sometimes take forever - we were almost late leaving because of the elevators being so full and so slow.

There was supposed to be a sunrise room in the upper part of the hotel, but it's just office space. We did see a decent gym with decent equipment in the basement.

If you are not from the area, please be aware that the crime rate is crazy. There were two or three police officers shot and killed during the week we were there. The driving is even more insane - and if you try to walk anywhere - I wish you luck getting across the street to the stores.

We did like the pelican bar - on the pier. But we were under the impression you could fish off the pier. It is closed and falling down. The employees at the pelican bar were great.

We ate at the hotel restaurant one evening and everyone really liked their food (it took forever to get it though) and my meal was just very run of the mill.

I would never go back there again.

• Liked — The valet service
  • Disliked — The hotel employees
    • 1 of 5 stars Check in / front desk
    • 1 of 5 stars Business service (e.g., internet access)
Atlanta
5 of 5 stars Reviewed November 12, 2007

We stayed from Nov. 3-8. We thought it was very nice. We had ocean view room. So throughout the night and day we can hear and see the ocean. I recommend this hotel. They have a very nice weight room and different activities all day to enjoy. People were very nice. We (the whole hotel) also got new beds that next day we were their, how many times can you say you were the first to sleep on a new hotel bed. They were renovating everyday. I would do it again and again. The breakfast price and the Internet price were a bit high but other than that I loved it. November is a perfect time to go, not to hot, not to cold, just perfect. Housekeeping is on top of everything you ask for. Did not have to ask more than once for something we needed. Enjoy to others who decide to go.

• Liked — Ocean view room
  • Disliked — Internet and Breakfast price
  • Stayed November 2007, traveled as a couple
    • 4 of 5 stars Check in / front desk
    • 3 of 5 stars Business service (e.g., internet access)
Denver, CO
5 of 5 stars Reviewed November 2, 2007

Wished I was on vacation instead of business...this hotel has so much to offer with a beautiful beach right by the pool and a program full of activities for all ages. My room has a great view of both the ocean and the pool on the 11th floor. Wake up to a gorgeous sunrise and there was a full moon during my vist which adds to the ambience.
The valet was very efficient, always have my car within seconds. Best of all, across from the hotels were shops and restaurants you can walk to. They were about to open a signature restaurant days from my visit. I will definitely stay at this property on my next trip! Did I mention they had great latte in their cafe, coming from a Starbucks junkie that is high compliment.

• Liked — Right by the beach! and a great beach too.
  • Disliked — No restaurant...they were about to open one.
  • Stayed October 2007, traveled on business
    • 4 of 5 stars Check in / front desk
    • 4 of 5 stars Business service (e.g., internet access)
Orlando, Florida
2 of 5 stars Reviewed October 28, 2007

I must say that I lived in Miami Beach for five years before deciding to come back to watch the Dolphins play around two years later. Ive known about and seen the Newport Beachside for years and of course everyone says "NO!!" . But I got a good deal and stayed anyways, and boy should I have listened!! The lobby and beachfront are in a way worth its money in itself, but let me back up a little.... Check in was a breeze, but to the left three elevators stand before you and not one of them want to greet you. Holding just a bag became a torture until one of my commrades found the stairs.... Must I say that for 3 days that was our only means to our room.... and the response was that there was a wedding!!! The wedding was on Saturday from 3-10... but for some reason the excuse of this wedding went on until monday.... Oh and when we finally got to our room.... 1 towel for 4 we didnt even realize it until guest number 2 needed to dry off from the shower. And I cant even describe the smell!! Just think of the worst MOTEL experience you have ever had and multiply it by 10... Motel 6 is a westin compared to this dump!! I should have known better having lived here for so long.... If you are coming for a vacation...... be forwarned... stay south of north miami beach(sunny isles).. better stays, decent rates, closer to nightlife, and no [--] like we had to deal with!!!

• Liked — That it was where I lived
  • Disliked — everything else
  • Stayed October 2007, traveled with friends
    • 3 of 5 stars Check in / front desk
    • 2 of 5 stars Business service (e.g., internet access)

Been to Newport Beachside Hotel and Resort? Share your experiences!