“Mr.Trump, You're Fired!” 1 of 5 stars

4.0 of 5 Resort   |   18001 Collins Avenue, Sunny Isles Beach, FL 33160   |
A TripAdvisor Member
“Mr.Trump, You're Fired!”
1 of 5 stars Reviewed July 6, 2005

The hotel is beautiful and our room was nicely decorated. At first the whole family thought we had stepped into paradise. Well we hadn't. My husband tried to have a beer... no bottle opener of any kind in our full kitchen...we did have a nice vegetable peeler. We ordered room service and had to call back because they forgot some items. Our toliet backed up. One of the sinks didn't work and the sink that did work, lacked hot water. The shower didn't drain so you had to shower quick before the water spilled out on to the floor. We complained about the plumbing problems and only got the toliet fixed. Certainly an apology or an offer to move us would have been nice. The children went to the game room and the machines took their money. We didn't receive our pool bands at check in. To top it all off, when we were leaving a women comes running after us because they had forgotten to charge us the $18 valet parking fee! On a positve note the sheets were soft and the apple at check in was good. Not enough to get this family to stay at any Trump resort again.

• Stayed July 2005

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (215)
Washington, DC
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 27, 2005

My partner and I had a truly relaxing and enjoyable time at the Trump International Sonesta hotel in Sunny Isles, Florida. The staff were pleasant and quick to be helpful. Indeed, we were pleasantly surprised at the level of service that we were provided throughout our stay. On the gorgeous beach, staff were very attentive providing for the every need of guests. Unfortunately, our first round of drink orders on the beach took more than 40 minutes to arrive but that seemed an abberation rather than the norm. Our subsequent orders arrived much quicker. A quick plug for the quality of the drinks are in order as we fell in love with the Pina Coladas and understood from other guests that the other drinks were also divine (one guest raved about the Blue Hawaiians). The pool area was also pleasant, especially in the late morning hours when the kids had gone to bed. We swam and enjoyed the jacuzzi until about 1:30 am on one morning. Our room, a junior suite, was great containing a washer and dryer, refrigerator, microwave and other amenities that made you feel like you were at home. We saw that one family actually bought groceries (which is a great money saver!). While we did not buy groceries, we did enjoy walking across the street in the mornings to the Denny's restaurant located three blocks down the street. Because of the convenience and quality of area restaurants, we hardly ate at the hotel and cannot vouch for the restaurants or room service in the hotel. On several occasions we drove down Collins Avenue to South Beach (about a 25 minute drive) to eat dinner and enjoy the sites. I did choose to have a deep tissue massage at the spa and thoroughly enjoyed the ambiance of the spa but was mixed about the actual service. While my masseuse was pleasant enough, he talked a lot (I prefer silence) and at times his moves were choppy and brusque. Nevertheless he seemed interesting and pleasant enough. After the massage, I went into the sauna which was nice (and free). We used the gym each day of our stay and were also pleased with its quality machines, music, and tv choices. Overall, we were pleasantly surprised at our experience which we would rate squarely between "Good" and "Excellent". My partner says that he felt truly relaxed after staying at the resort (unlike other vacations where the challenges of the trip left him cranky and in need of another vacation after the vacation). I highly recommend the Trump International Sonesta Beach Resort to all.

NY
4 of 5 stars Reviewed June 25, 2005

We stayed at this hotel from Sunday, June 19 to Wednesday, June 22. Overall, we enjoyed our stay and felt it to be worth the money. We usually stay in Hyatts and found the Trump to be a little more luxurious, with better service.

The construction next door was a bit ugly but not intrusive or loud (and we were on the side of the hotel right next to the construction). We asked the friendly front-desk clerk upon check-in for a high floor and he moved us from the 22nd floor to the 30th.

We had no problem with waiting for elevators as others have complained about--there were 4 elevators, all working fine & never crowded.

The pool & pool area (w/ 2 hot tubs) are very nice; pool staff friendly & helpful. Beach staff friendly too. Staff on beach & at pool come around regularly w/ little snacks & ice water while you're lounging. Pool & pool area are open 24 hours, which is very nice.

The Beach Club, which is supposed to open at 10am and rent kayaks, jet skis, etc., was never open, at any time throughout our stay. (It was raining a lot.) Not the fault of the hotel, but still frustrating.

The concierges were generally knowledgeable & friendly. (Note: one night, we wanted to have a drink at the Delano in South Beach, and the Trump concierge said valet parking at the Delano was $8-10/hour. When we got there, we found out it was a $22 flat fee, more than we wanted to pay just to have a drink.)

I accidentally left my credit card at the pool bar and didn't realize it til we got to the airport. I called Security and they were very helpful, are FedExing it to me today.

Tips:
1. If your flight is a few hours after check-out (we got a late checkout of 1pm but didn't have to be at the airport at 5pm), use the showers & lounge in the spa at no cost--very relaxing.
2. The concierge will print your boarding pass for you. We went to use the internet in the business center to do it, and the friendly employee there told us to save our $13 and have the concierge print them.

Problems:
1. cleaning was very late in the day (about 5pm or later) and uneven (one day they cleaned everything well, the next day they left candybar wrappers and half-eaten apples on the desk, untouched).
2. Several front-desk clerks didn't know Miami or the surrounding area at all and didn't try to help answer our questions. (One told us that Key West was 6 hours away, and when I asked if she had a map, gave me a map that clearly showed it to be only about 3 hours away. When I asked her another question, she said she didn't know the answer and said "I'm not from here." Yeah, well, me neither, but I'm not getting paid to know things.)
3. Staff at Noemi's Grill is a little inexperienced & over-bearing. One wacky Colombian waiter hung around our table, wanting to chat when all we wanted to do was have a private dinner.

• Stayed June 2005
A TripAdvisor Member
2 of 5 stars Reviewed June 25, 2005

Jut wanted to comment on the bad impression and experience at the spa salon at the Trump Sonesta in Sunny Isles Beach, Florida. I arrived approximately 10 minutes late for my massage and the first words that came out of an employees mouth was that my 50 minute massage was reduced to 35 minutes. I explained to the spa agent that the reason for my tardiness was due to the hotel's valet parking; it took about 5-10 minutes for a valet person to attend to me. She responded that it's not her fault. The spa did not want to give me the full 50 minutes.

Although I had this negative experience, I still have to mention that the massage therapist was very good.

Upon handing over a gift card at my departure, the spa agent metioned that there is an approximate $25-30 difference. The nice and tranquil feeling of having a massage was all of a sudden wiped out by another bad experience. Eventually the issue was resolved after about 15 minutes, but the service was mediocre.

How can a spa salon provide me with a receipt showing the cost of the massage when this was a gift from a very close friend of mine. I requested to see a manager, but she was not available.

A couple of days later, I called to speak to a manager but she was again not available; I left a message for Laura to call me back. So, to make a long story short; I am still waitng for Laura (Spa Manager) to respond to my message.

I will definitely not recommend this hotel or it's services.

Boston
2 of 5 stars Reviewed June 15, 2005

I stayed at this resort during the Thanksgiving week end of 2004. It was a disaster. They lost my reservation. While I did get a room because of my online confirmation, they never registered me. I spent the whole week end trying to get room service, etc. I never received the amenities and luxuries that was supposed to come with the room because they didn't have me in their system as a guest. As far as the room itself goes, it was nice. However, if you're a couple with no kids, or are trying to get away from the kids, you might be best to stay elsewhere. The resort is very kid friendly. I wasn't particular fond of the location as well. While the resort is nice, it just doesn't belong in the area it was in. The area was pretty run down. For the money, I would definitely go elsewhere.

• Stayed November 2004
NYC
3 of 5 stars Reviewed June 1, 2005

Stayed at Trump Sonesta for Memorial Day Weekend. Arrived on Saturday and tried to check-in around 2:30pm. Had to wait which we totally understood since the actual check-in time as stated in their policy was 4pm. The front desk said they'd call me when the room was available while we looked for a parking spot. I wasn't about to spend another $18 a day for valet parking when our car rental was only $29/day (Alamo). Found a free parking spot near the Publix supermarket across the street just 3 blocks away. The second day, we parked around the corner on another free spot. Be aware that there aren't any parking signs. Don't park at the meters, they're 25 cents for every 15 minutes 24/7.

Finally, as we were walking back to Trump, the front desk called at 3:30pm. Here's the problem. The elevator service was terrible. We waited 15 minutes in the lobby to get on an elevator. I'm sure if this was any other weekend, you wouldn't notice this problem. The hotel was packed with lots of children too.

Had reservations at Emeril's that night so we decided to take the shuttle to South Beach. Didn't want to drive since we heard there was a hip-hop festival and most of the streets getting to Collins Ave. were closed off. The shuttle was on-time and very accommodating about dropping guests to the closest destination. Coming back was a problem since the bus driver gave us a blocked off road to pick us up. One guest called the hotel and conceriege told us to take a taxi and will reimburse us for our cab fare. Sure enough, they did and was taken care of already by the time we checked-out.

The food poolside was mediocre. The drinks were good but small and expensive. We never ate at the hotel restaurants or the ones across the street since we had a car. Drove to Hollywood instead and had a great Italian seafood dinner. You can't miss it in the corner of Hollywood Blvd.

We had an ocean view room but facing the condo being built next door. Didn't bother us though, maybe the construction workers were off for the long weekend.

The pool area was small and very crowded with children. I would suggest going to the beach in the morning and then the pool to cool off. Had no problems getting two beach loungers at 10:00-10:30 for the two days. It definitely gets crowded by noon but chairs were still available, not umbrellas though. The beach could use some cleaning with all the leftover food service items laying around.

If you have a late flight on your last day, take advantage of the spa facilities. We were at the beach and the pool and was able to shower before leaving the hotel even after checking out at 11am.

Overall the hotel had great service but was definitely lacking the elegance and luxury as some of the Trump buildings found in NY. We probably wouldn't stay here again for the price we paid. I hope you'll find this helpful!

• Stayed May 2005
New Jersey
2 of 5 stars Reviewed May 22, 2005

I'm late with my review, but I'm late to discover this fabulous web site. We stayed with three young children from Christmas to New Year's '05. Granted, a busy time. But we also paid through the nose for a two-bedroom suite and expected service worth of the Trump name. From the start: the first room they tried to pawn off on us was not oceanfront, as reserved. After a long wait and much argument, they moved us to a more suitable room. The pool is advertised as heated. The heater was broken every day but two (and one of those it rained) of our 9-day visit. It was freezing and was a huge disappointment, especially for our three kids (4, 2.5 and 1). Several staffers said it hadn't worked in several weeks, a charge management denied. Kids club counselors were very sweet, although my kids were too young to participate w/o me. Housekeeping very spotty, always forgetting something (leaving dirty linens or cleaning products behind, some do your dishes, some don't, some vaccuum, some don't, don't count on evening turndown as advertised either). A couple of times we returned at 4 p.m. to a room that still hadn't been cleaned. Complaints to management were answered with treats for the kids, which was nice but hardly makes up for sub-standard service during a $12,000+ vacation. Fortunately, I knew Miami pretty well and knew this place wasn't 15 mins from south beach as advertised. It will take the better part of 45 minutes. We had a car, but I heard other guests complain the shuttle did not run very regularly.

In fairness, I feel the hidden charges many reviewers complained about were, in fact, pretty well spelled out. Their web site did disclose the valet parking and resort fee charges. Expensive drinks and extensive tips should not surprise anyone. But here's one charge that surprised me: I asked the front desk clerk to Fed Ex something for me. It was already in MY fed ex envelope with MY fex ex account number. They still wanted a handling fee of something like $3. I tracked down a manager I had complained to earlier and he "handled" it free. The concierges seem to be there more for show than to actually help. One upside: the high speed internet access is free, so bring your laptop and be your own concierge. Construction was going strong while we were there, but it didn't bother us at all. There were too many other things to complain about!

• Stayed January 2005

Been to Trump International Beach Resort? Share your experiences!