“Great vacation spot for weekend” 4 of 5 stars

You added Trump International Beach Resort to your Saves list
Trump International Beach Resort
4.0 of 5 Resort   |   18001 Collins Avenue, Sunny Isles Beach, FL 33160   |
Dallas, Texas
“Great vacation spot for weekend”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed February 12, 2013

our 40th anniversary, needed nice quiet place to unwind.very courteous and quiet place, beach area and swimming facilities are great, good with little things like, providing lemon water and setting for beach .

Room Tip: room with ocean view, great
  • Stayed February 2013, traveled as a couple

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (205)
Granbury, Texas
4 of 5 stars Reviewed February 10, 2013

We arrived at the resort about 20 minutes till 4:00 and was told our room was not ready ( maybe just me, but really?) so we went to the bar, had a drink and returned to check in at 4:00 and checked in. DO NOT expect to get a early check in!

Our room was so, so. I just expected more of a $500 plus room. Outdated furniture and carpet, but the bed was excellent!! Has a kitchenette, but bring plates and utensils because there aren't any. Has a stocked mini bar which is very expensive, but most are at any hotel.

I upgraded to a junior suite ( at a $60.00 charge) and was hesitant about it, because it was on the 26th floor. I wanted to have the full effect of hearing the ocean and frankly, I was apprehensive about being up so high. I am SO glad I did it!!! The view was spectacular and the sound from the ocean was awesome!!! We sat on our patio and enjoyed the beautiful scenery all evening.

I can't rate the pool or beach because we never went there, but it looked very nice.

We ordered in room dining which is high at any hotel. I had the skirt steak on top of mashed potatoes and my husband had garlic shrimp. The first bite of my steak was so salty I had to spit it out, but the rest was ok. Mediocre is all I can say about the food and the cost was $86.00. I would suggest walking to one of the many restaurants close by.

A generic letter, along with our bill was at our door which thanked us for our stay, but informed us there would be no late checkouts allowed. I had a feeling that was going to be the case!!! As I stated above, do not count on early check in or late check out.

Hum, would I stay here again? Maybe, after I checked other places out.

Room Tip: Be sure to spend the extra money for ocean view because it is spectacular!!!!
  • Stayed February 2013, traveled as a couple
Evanston
4 of 5 stars Reviewed February 8, 2013

We arrived at this hotel Feb 1, 2013 and checked out Feb 5, 2013

The property is very clean. The bed linens and towels were pristine white. The bathrooms were just okay. The sink was made of plastic and the countertop, althoug granite, it was an ugly, cheap-looking granite. The faucets were cheap-looking as well. The hairdryer took me twice the time to dry my hair as the one at home. There was a bathroom scale, but non-functioning. If it doesn't work, just remove it from the room or replace it with one that works. The balcony was nice and large with nice patio furniture. Be careful when you book a room here if you want an ocean front view. There is "Ocean view" and "Ocean front." Big difference. If you want ot wake up and easily see the ocean, get the "Ocean view." If you don't mind mostly views of the street and a view of the ocean if you stick your head out a bit, then get the "Ocean view" room. But, I would pay the extra money for the Ocean Front. The pillow-top Serta mattresses were divinely comfy :-) Each room comes with a wet bar with cabinets full of snacks, drinking glasses, wine glasses, and a Keurig coffee maker. They provide the coffee and accessories complimentary. There were two terry-cloth robes with slippers, so that was great. the foyer and bathroom floors are marble, so the slippers are very much appreciated. The decor is nice, not fantastic, but nice. the flat screen tv was pleaseantly big. The room drapes were not completely light-blocking, which would have been nice for mornings when you want to sleep in.

The pool area was very nice. the attendents were very friendly and helpful. This hotel is 30 floors up, one tower, however, there is a property next door called the "Trump Grande" which are condominums and they have access to the hotel pools and ammenities. So, although the pool deck is beautiful, I think it's a bit small for the number of rooms/people it is supposed to accomodate. Get to the pool area as early as possible for a good lounge chair. The pool water was a bit too chilly to enjoy during the winter months.For a 5 star hotel, I think they could afford to turn up the heat a bit during the wintery months. We opted to stay in one of their 3 hot tubs ("spas") to keep warm, but the chlorine content faded my swimsuit, so beware. The poolside menu was delicious and not too over-priced.

The breakfast buffet is way overpriced for what you get. None of the food super high quality nor was it organic. When you get your bill, the price of the buffet is $24, however after they add taxes, gratuity, and fees, it comes out to $30 per person. But, the servers were very friendly and the outdoor seating area was very nice. I think that $22 for the buffet, total with everything, would be a more fair price for what they are offering. The fruit, although not organic, was sweet and seasonal. If you want water, it is served in tiny glasses that are not refilled often enough.

The smell of the hotel is arromatic and lovely. The corridors of the rooms were nice but not great. The good thing was that the layout of the floors to the rooms was designed to reduce noise. Straight, long hallways tend to carry a lot of sound from the elevator, etc. But, Trump International does not have this problem. So, cudos for that :-)

Would I come back to this hotel? I might like to try a different hotel, but from looking at some of the other ones online, this is as good as it gets in Sunny Isles, Fl

Room Tip: Get the Ocean Front Room, not Ocean view.
  • Stayed February 2013, traveled with family
Plano
4 of 5 stars Reviewed February 7, 2013

We stayed at Trump International Beach Resort and we were well prepared before we left, so we knew exactly what to expect. We booked it on hotwire, so we knew we wouldn't have an ocean view, but we had just moved from The Viceroy downtown and had days and days of rooftop amazing views, so we were totally ok with that. The hotel is definitely out of the hustle and bustle of South Beach and more of a relaxing atmosphere which is exactly what we we wanted. We stopped at the local grocery store and bought a styrofoam cooler and some beer and a few snacks for the room. We had a rental car and were happy with this decision.

We pulled into the hotel and right away had great service. We had a quick check in, bags got up to our room immediately and we assessed the room. No view. Ok, we knew that. But I imagine the rooms that did, they were gorgeous views. Our room was spacious, clean and had a little mini fridge with a bar area on top for our snacks and drinks. The bathroom was great and we had a little balcony that overlooked the little bay water opposite of the ocean (we were the backside of the hotel).

We spent two solid days on the beach and enjoyed every single minute of it. There is a beach chair guy waiting to make you up a nice little area. Umbrellas, chairs, towels. We tipped him and each day was so helpful. We had a cooler of beers and water, but we also ordered a few drinks from them as well. Because these are condos, no one thought twice about our cooler. We did order food on the beach and it was super yummy. The beach was spotless, the water gorgeous and warm and we would for sure go back. We did not spend any time at the pool. We were there strictly for beach and it was rampant with splashing kids, so we keep this in mind.

You will need a car if you want to eat off property. A lot of really great options if you drive a little. We even went into Ft. Lauderdale one night for dinner along the boardwalk. And they have a great little gift shop that we found a few treasures for our kids.

It's a simple hotel. Not huge and expansive. Not a resort. A condo/hotel. If you know that going in, it will be a great place for you. Giving it only a Very Good as compared to Excellent only because of the pool area. If it ever popped up on Hotwire again, we would be thrilled.

• Stayed June 2012, traveled as a couple
Cincinnati, Ohio
5 of 5 stars Reviewed February 7, 2013

Very personable staff. I was traveling alone but I felt very comfortable and welcomed by the hotel staff - everywhere I went in the hotel. The pool and outdoor dining areas are comfortable an clean. I loved that my room had a view of both the ocean and the city.

Room Tip: If you need elbow room find a Junior Suite overlooking the ocean- fabulous!
  • Stayed September 2012, traveled on business
Los Angeles, California
3 of 5 stars Reviewed February 3, 2013

We enjoyed it but wanted to love it.
Rooms are a little dated but room service was really good so was bellman, valet parking and housekeeping.
Front desk was so so.
To pcloloss round $500 a night, I was hoping for a room that was a bit more updated

• Stayed January 2013, traveled on business
Atlanta, GA
2 of 5 stars Reviewed February 2, 2013

Upon arrival, I was quickly greeted by the bellman who took my luggage and offered to deliver it to the room. 90 minutes after checking in, I still had no luggage. I had somewhere to go and needed to change clothes so went to the front desk to see if I could locate my items. It took the front desk another 15 minutes to locate my items, which were in a luggage storage area for departing guests. The bellman was nowhere to be found. I feel like he swiped my tip.
I returned to the room to clean up and discovered that the toilet was clogged. The front desk did send someone promptly to fix the problem. Later that evening, I wanted to watch TV before bed and the TV did not work. Again, I reported the problem to the front desk and someone came to fix it. Later in the week, I attempted to use the washer/dryer that was in the room. The dryer was broken as the door kept popping open causing the machine to stop. The front desk sent someone to repair. This time, the repairman did not take time to try to understand the problem. He insisted that I do not know how to use the machine and kept showing me the dials saying that the machine stops when the timer reaches 'zero'. I was insulted and had to insist that it was broken to get him to investigate. Eventually after 2 minutes, the machine stopped and the door popped open. Then he explains to me that something is wrong with the door. ...Duh.
Near time of departure, I inquired with the front desk about late check out. The clerk insisted that they absolutely do not do late checkouts. However, another couple that I was traveling with was granted a 2 pm checkout. When I inquired about this, the clerk vehemently denied it. I asked to speak with a manager and was told 'he is on the property but not available now'. So I asked for manager to contact me. The clerk told me they would call up to my room. I never received any call from the manager. When I returned to the front desk, not only was my late checkout request denied but the clerk handed me the bill and stated 'I already checked you out'. It was still only 8 am and I still had all my personal effects in the room. Further, there were numerous mini-bar charges on the bill. I did not use any mini-bar items. The hotel staff insisted that I had eaten nuts so was charged for them ($15/day). I did eat some almonds...which I had purchased from the grocery store across the street. The packaging looks nothing like that which is in the mini bar (see photo...there is no way this could be confused with the mini bar item on the left). Because I had food in my room, the hotel insisted that it came from mini bar. I showed the receipt for the nuts I purchased at the store and the clerk made excuses claiming that 'mini bar items are difficult to track". I stay at hotels an average of 100 nights/year for business and have never been charged for unused mini bar items before. I informed the about the other difficulties with my stay (no luggage, needed room repairs multiple times) and said that the late checkout was the least they could do. Instead of finding way for me to leave a somewhat satisfied customer, the clerk said "I wish you would have told us earlier about these problems". I asked why he would have no record of the multiple times 'engineering' had to come to the room to fix things and then was told that they do have those records. I felt like I had said enough and went to pack my belongings. It was still prior to standard check out time and 3 times the housekeeper knocked on the door asking when we were leaving.
This hotel does have some redeeming points in that the bed is very comfortable and the view to the beach is great; however, the management has no concern for the quality of the stay for customers. I feel that the mini-bar charges are a big scam and you need to check your bill carefully if you stay here. The beautiful location does not trump the poor customer service and lack of concern by management. This leaves me with a poor impression of the Trump hotels. I would not recommend this property.

• Stayed January 2013, traveled on business

Been to Trump International Beach Resort? Share your experiences!