“Beautiful location and appearance does not Trump poor management and service” 2 of 5 stars
Review of Trump International Beach Resort

Save Saved
You added Trump International Beach Resort to your Saves list
Trump International Beach Resort
4.0 of 5 Resort   |   18001 Collins Avenue, Sunny Isles Beach, FL 33160   |
Special Offer
Summer Vacation in Miami
Atlanta, GA
“Beautiful location and appearance does not Trump poor management and service”
2 of 5 stars Reviewed February 2, 2013

Upon arrival, I was quickly greeted by the bellman who took my luggage and offered to deliver it to the room. 90 minutes after checking in, I still had no luggage. I had somewhere to go and needed to change clothes so went to the front desk to see if I could locate my items. It took the front desk another 15 minutes to locate my items, which were in a luggage storage area for departing guests. The bellman was nowhere to be found. I feel like he swiped my tip.
I returned to the room to clean up and discovered that the toilet was clogged. The front desk did send someone promptly to fix the problem. Later that evening, I wanted to watch TV before bed and the TV did not work. Again, I reported the problem to the front desk and someone came to fix it. Later in the week, I attempted to use the washer/dryer that was in the room. The dryer was broken as the door kept popping open causing the machine to stop. The front desk sent someone to repair. This time, the repairman did not take time to try to understand the problem. He insisted that I do not know how to use the machine and kept showing me the dials saying that the machine stops when the timer reaches 'zero'. I was insulted and had to insist that it was broken to get him to investigate. Eventually after 2 minutes, the machine stopped and the door popped open. Then he explains to me that something is wrong with the door. ...Duh.
Near time of departure, I inquired with the front desk about late check out. The clerk insisted that they absolutely do not do late checkouts. However, another couple that I was traveling with was granted a 2 pm checkout. When I inquired about this, the clerk vehemently denied it. I asked to speak with a manager and was told 'he is on the property but not available now'. So I asked for manager to contact me. The clerk told me they would call up to my room. I never received any call from the manager. When I returned to the front desk, not only was my late checkout request denied but the clerk handed me the bill and stated 'I already checked you out'. It was still only 8 am and I still had all my personal effects in the room. Further, there were numerous mini-bar charges on the bill. I did not use any mini-bar items. The hotel staff insisted that I had eaten nuts so was charged for them ($15/day). I did eat some almonds...which I had purchased from the grocery store across the street. The packaging looks nothing like that which is in the mini bar (see photo...there is no way this could be confused with the mini bar item on the left). Because I had food in my room, the hotel insisted that it came from mini bar. I showed the receipt for the nuts I purchased at the store and the clerk made excuses claiming that 'mini bar items are difficult to track". I stay at hotels an average of 100 nights/year for business and have never been charged for unused mini bar items before. I informed the about the other difficulties with my stay (no luggage, needed room repairs multiple times) and said that the late checkout was the least they could do. Instead of finding way for me to leave a somewhat satisfied customer, the clerk said "I wish you would have told us earlier about these problems". I asked why he would have no record of the multiple times 'engineering' had to come to the room to fix things and then was told that they do have those records. I felt like I had said enough and went to pack my belongings. It was still prior to standard check out time and 3 times the housekeeper knocked on the door asking when we were leaving.
This hotel does have some redeeming points in that the bed is very comfortable and the view to the beach is great; however, the management has no concern for the quality of the stay for customers. I feel that the mini-bar charges are a big scam and you need to check your bill carefully if you stay here. The beautiful location does not trump the poor customer service and lack of concern by management. This leaves me with a poor impression of the Trump hotels. I would not recommend this property.

• Stayed January 2013, traveled on business

1,100 people have reviewed this hotel

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (185)
new york
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 30, 2013

This is one of the best hotels to go to in miami.The rooms are big ,some even have a washer and dryer.They have a kids pool which is always a plus for me.The view from the hotel room was beautiful.Service is really good they treat you like royalty.They have extras like complimentry ices at 3 for the kids ,smoothies throughout the day and ect.I will definitly be going back there next time im in miami.

Room Tip: Get a higher floor and ocean view .Its worth it!
Leominster, MA
3 of 5 stars Reviewed January 29, 2013

The front desk was helpful in fixing things that went wrong during our 3 day stay- AC and Safe didn't work. t once working AC leaked onto floor. No creamers for coffee 3 days running even after asking and leaving a $10 tip for housekeeping, very small bathroom, peeling wallpaper, closet sliders didn't slide. Manager refused all late checkouts.

But all the common areas were nice and our ocean front room had a nice view. Pool and beach attendants were all nice, and beach chairs are included in the $22/day resort fee. Poolside lunch was very good- $130 for 4 people no alcohol drinks). Breakfast also good, $130 for 4.

This location is 30+ minutes from South beach by cab.

Room Tip: you don't need ocean front to have a good view here.
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 26, 2013

My husband and I started going to The Trump International in 2008. We went there for our 20th Anniversary and immediately fell in love with the place. We have been back every year since!

As soon as you arrive, you are greeted by very friendly and helpful valet attendees. From there they help you with your luggage, direct you to the front desk and also escort you to your room. This time we stayed on the 16th floor. The rooms are equipped with everything you would need, right down to the chocolates left on the bed! The area is so beautiful and peaceful.

They have their own beach area with lounge chairs and towels they provide. They will set them up for you on the beach and also serve you drinks or whatever you may like. The outdoor area has 3 hot tubs, a large pool with waterfall and a outdoor pavilion where you can purchase food and drinks.

The hotel has a spa, fitness center and gift shop too. I always have to stop in the gift shop:) You can't leave the Trump without some type of souvenir. There are many nice hotels in the area of Sunny Isles, but I don't think we could every stay anywhere else. It's like a dream come true!

Room Tip: We always call the hotel directly so we can make any special requests. It's much easier to speak...
  • Stayed January 2013, traveled as a couple
Denmark
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 26, 2013

The Trump International is a luxury resort in the Sunny Isles area of Miami Beach - and certainly worth a visit even if it's a bit far from all the action on South Beach.

Upon arriving at my room, a Deluxe Ocean Front on the 19th floor, I was immediately impressed by the incredible view. I had an outstanding view of the ocean, beach and the hotel's own massive pool and waterfalls. I must say it's one of the best views I've ever had from the hotels I've stayed in, and there was a very nice private balcony. I say private because often you don't have much privacy, in terms of being able to see people in adjacent rooms, and them seeing you, but this one was fairly secluded. The view was just stunning. See pictures.

The actual room was a bit on the small side, but otherwise very nice and modern. Surprisingly, the room had its own kichen area, with an oven, etc. There was of course also a mini bar, coffee maker and the other amenities you'd expect from such a high-end resort.

There was also a television with many channels, including HBO, and a pay-per-view system which was fairly outdated. Curiously, you could also play N64 games (didn't that console die in the 90s or something?)

As for the hotel itself, it has a large spa (which I didn't try) and great pool facilities, with very noisy waterfalls and a pool bar. From there, you only had a short walk to the beautiful beach.

I also tried the restaurant on site, where I had a very tasty pizza for lunch.

On the slightly negative side, the service from the front desk was not the most attentive or serviceminded I've experienced. It also took ages for the elevators to arrive sometimes.

There was an evening turndown service, though, where they left little chocolates on your pillows, turned the curtains and such. That was kinda neat.

While there's a few restaurants and shopping options nearby, Sunny Isles is not the most exciting area of Miami, and there's not much to do in the immediate area. South Beach is 45 minutes or more by bus, although the hotel provides shuttles to the attractions (probably for a hefty fee).

If you want the beach, pools and amazing views, this hotel is definitely a good choice.

Room Tip: Get an ocean front room! The views are priceless
  • Stayed January 2013, traveled solo
Minnesota
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 26, 2013

This stay was fantastic. The rooms are amazing - Junior suites have the microwave, small frig, and a washer/dryer and are of great size. A better yet room was the Ocean Front 1 bedroom suites - what a view with separate sleeping room, full kitchen, dining, and sitting area. Beautiful view - well worth it! Service at the hotel was great. I know some reviews said they had issues with the internet - I had no issues -- I wonder if it is the direction you face? My room was facing pool and ocean, however, some in our group facing bay and other side also said it was slow or not working. The free internet was a bonus!

Room Tip: See my reivew.
  • Stayed January 2013, traveled on business
Alexandria, Minnesota
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 25, 2013

Trump's upscale hotel is a classy place to bring your family or your spouse. This was our family's second stay: all of us love the privacy, the beach and the local options for shops. The hotel has a lot of eating and relaxation options. Sunny Isles is a beautiful location with less commotion. Each of the staff gave 100%. Trump can be proud of this property! (Bet you can't find a more comfortable bed!)

• Stayed January 2013, traveled with family

Been to Trump International Beach Resort? Share your experiences!