Upon arrival, I was quickly greeted by the bellman who took my luggage and offered to deliver it to the room. 90 minutes after checking in, I still had no luggage. I had somewhere to go and needed to change clothes so went to the front desk to see if I could locate my items. It took the front desk another 15 minutes to locate my items, which were in a luggage storage area for departing guests. The bellman was nowhere to be found. I feel like he swiped my tip.
I returned to the room to clean up and discovered that the toilet was clogged. The front desk did send someone promptly to fix the problem. Later that evening, I wanted to watch TV before bed and the TV did not work. Again, I reported the problem to the front desk and someone came to fix it. Later in the week, I attempted to use the washer/dryer that was in the room. The dryer was broken as the door kept popping open causing the machine to stop. The front desk sent someone to repair. This time, the repairman did not take time to try to understand the problem. He insisted that I do not know how to use the machine and kept showing me the dials saying that the machine stops when the timer reaches 'zero'. I was insulted and had to insist that it was broken to get him to investigate. Eventually after 2 minutes, the machine stopped and the door popped open. Then he explains to me that something is wrong with the door. ...Duh.
Near time of departure, I inquired with the front desk about late check out. The clerk insisted that they absolutely do not do late checkouts. However, another couple that I was traveling with was granted a 2 pm checkout. When I inquired about this, the clerk vehemently denied it. I asked to speak with a manager and was told 'he is on the property but not available now'. So I asked for manager to contact me. The clerk told me they would call up to my room. I never received any call from the manager. When I returned to the front desk, not only was my late checkout request denied but the clerk handed me the bill and stated 'I already checked you out'. It was still only 8 am and I still had all my personal effects in the room. Further, there were numerous mini-bar charges on the bill. I did not use any mini-bar items. The hotel staff insisted that I had eaten nuts so was charged for them ($15/day). I did eat some almonds...which I had purchased from the grocery store across the street. The packaging looks nothing like that which is in the mini bar (see photo...there is no way this could be confused with the mini bar item on the left). Because I had food in my room, the hotel insisted that it came from mini bar. I showed the receipt for the nuts I purchased at the store and the clerk made excuses claiming that 'mini bar items are difficult to track". I stay at hotels an average of 100 nights/year for business and have never been charged for unused mini bar items before. I informed the about the other difficulties with my stay (no luggage, needed room repairs multiple times) and said that the late checkout was the least they could do. Instead of finding way for me to leave a somewhat satisfied customer, the clerk said "I wish you would have told us earlier about these problems". I asked why he would have no record of the multiple times 'engineering' had to come to the room to fix things and then was told that they do have those records. I felt like I had said enough and went to pack my belongings. It was still prior to standard check out time and 3 times the housekeeper knocked on the door asking when we were leaving.
This hotel does have some redeeming points in that the bed is very comfortable and the view to the beach is great; however, the management has no concern for the quality of the stay for customers. I feel that the mini-bar charges are a big scam and you need to check your bill carefully if you stay here. The beautiful location does not trump the poor customer service and lack of concern by management. This leaves me with a poor impression of the Trump hotels. I would not recommend this property.
- Official Description (provided by the hotel):
- Situated between Miami and Fort Lauderdale in Sunny Isles Beach, Florida, Trump International Beach Resort is an oceanfront oasis, complete with its own private and pristine beach and delightful grotto-style pool complex. A member of Preferred Hotel Group, the Trump International Beach Resort offers 355 oversized guest rooms and suites, each with a private balcony and spectacular views of the Atlantic Ocean or Intracoastal Waterway. Luxurious amenities at Trump International Beach Resort include a full-service spa & salon, 24-hour fitness center, four restaurants and lounges, tennis courts, business center, 22,000 sq. Ft. Of meeting and banquet space, and the ever popular Planet Kids Enviro-Adventures Program. ... more less
- Reservation Options:
- TripAdvisor is proud to partner with Expedia, Booking.com, Orbitz, BookIt.com, Splendia, Tingo, Travelocity, TripOnline SA, BookingOdigeoWL, Hotels.com, getaroom.com, Preferred Hotels, Despegar.com, Venere, Agoda and Otel so you can book your Trump International Beach Resort reservations with confidence. We help millions of travelers each month to find the perfect hotel for both vacation and business trips, always with the best discounts and special offers.
- Also Known As:
- Trump International Beach Hotel Sunny Isles Beach
- Trump Sonesta Beach Resort
- Trump International Sonesta Beach Resort
- Hotel Trump International Beach
- Sonesta Miami
- Trump International Beach Resort Florida/Sunny Isles Beach