“Waste of a good property.” 3 of 5 stars
Review of Marenas Resort

You added Marenas Resort to your Saves list
Marenas Resort
4.0 of 5 Hotel   |   18683 Collins Avenue, Sunny Isles Beach, FL 33160 (Formerly Le Meridien)   |
Hotel packages
New York City, New York
“Waste of a good property.”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed January 27, 2013

Excellent location, nice size rooms, good views. That's about all this hotel has going for it.

I just stayed at Marenas with my wife and 3 kids for four days. We arrived a few hours before check-in time. We were told that our room was not ready, but that they would try to have it ready "soon." And that by 4pm,, it would surely be ready. We came back at 4pm and the room was still dirty. The staff at the front desk were not friendly and did not seem at all interested to please.

I decided to stay patient because I really wanted to start off our vacation on a positive note. We end up getting a room a little while later. We arrived at the room and immediately noticed that the room was not clean up to basic hotel standards. It just felt grimy and dusty. Housekeeping simply does not replace items when you run out of them. After day 1, we went through a roll of paper towels. We never saw a paper towel the rest of the trip.

That evening, I requested extra blankets for my kids, so I can set up the very uncomfortable pull-out sofa. It took 3 trips and 2 hours for them to comprehend that I was not asking for someone to help me pull out the sofa; rather all I wanted were extra blankets for my children. They couldn't go to bed for hours until the hotel got a simple request straight.

The Jacuzzi was never hot and the jets were not working at all. The pool, (very small) which was advertised as being heated was rather cold all the time.

I truly feel bad for the staff here. They work extremely long shifts and the hotel is way understaffed. One woman, Joanna seems to be the only one answering calls when you dial in to guest services. Every time I wanted to complain, I bit my tongue because I felt bad for the people working here. I also knew that I would be wasting my breath. I can go on and on about similar instances, but I won't.

The only highlight of Marenas was the beach staff. They were extremely attentive and caring. and always aimed to please.

Plain and simple, this hotel is in dire need of new management. And until then, I will not return.

Dan M, Manager at Marenas Resort, responded to this review, January 28, 2013
Thank you for taking the time to let us know about your less than stellar experience at our property. Our staff takes great pride in the work they do. We apologize that you experienced some of our recent growing pains as we are winding down with some renovation work and property upgrades. We hope you would give us another opportunity to serve you in the future once we have fully integrated our staff into the operation without the challenges of ongoing renovations.

Thank you for being our guests.

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (96)
fiorano modenese
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 25, 2013

I spent two weeks in this fantastic resort. I stayed in apartment 1804 on 18th floor, which I warmly recommend because of its spectacular view: the ocean on the right side and the bay on the left , which we could admire from the living room while having a relaxing meal. It offers plenty of facilities: fully equipped gym, steam bath, sauna, business center with computers and internet connection, wireless connection (free) in each apartment, swimming pool, heated jacuzzi, pool bar, car park, etc. The beach is simply perfect: not too crowded and clean.
Our apartment was really cozy and elegantly furnished with very comfortable beds. Quality of sleep is excellent because, being on 18th floor, it was very quiet. When we arrived we found a selection of fresh fruit, water, coffe and tea waiting for us.
Every place in the resort is very clean and very well looked after.
I couldn't have asked for anything more...

Room Tip: I really liked our apartment (1804) for the view and because it was so quiet and nice
  • Stayed December 2012, traveled on business
Dan M, General Manager at Marenas Resort, responded to this review, February 21, 2013
Thank you for sharing your Holiday experience at Marenas Resort with Trip Advisor. We are happy to hear you enjoyed your Two Week visit to Marenas. Marenas Resort offers a casual, upscale Resort experience in the heart of South Florida. Our entire service team will be happy to hear about your great stay.

Chicago, Illinois
3 of 5 stars Reviewed January 25, 2013

Good- fabulous location. On the beach- not across the street, not a short 5 minute walk- but on the beach. Extremely nice, friendly & helpful staff.
Comfortable bed & linens.
Lovely views of bay and ocean, even though room was on west side of building.

Bad- room is small. Poor lighting-only 2 lamps and 1 does not work.
Bathroom is large but not well maintained. Gaps in grouting. Grip is pulled out of the shower wall. Faucet is pulling apart. No robes. Only 2 towels. Carpet seems worn and dirty. Odor in hallway coming from garbage chute. A/C circulates the smelly air. I checked the filter in A/C closet and clearly filter has not been changed in months. No chairs for balcony.

Room Tip: My associate had a jr suite for the same $225 price. He had free breakfast & I did not. This is...
  • Stayed January 2013, traveled on business
Dan M, General Manager at Marenas Resort, responded to this review, January 30, 2013
Thank you for recognizing Marenas Resort's spectacular location in the heart of South Florida, Sunny Isles Beach. The property does boast great views in almost every room of the property. In regards to your room being in less than ideal condition, we are continually working to ensure these types of deficiencies are rectified quickly so other guests do not have a similar experience.

We look forward to once again having the opportunity to have you visit Marenas Resort and Spa.

Arecibo, Puerto Rico
4 of 5 stars Reviewed January 24, 2013

Although my stay here was brief, only one night, I can tell this is a place worth re-visiting. The room service options are quite tasty. Their service is promt and accurate and the facilities are beautifully kept and clean. The room has a modern decor, I found it quite funtional in fact. Ther is wifi all over and the view is great. The room itself is rather small, but like I said it's functional and after a while working on the desk and stepping out to the balcony, you kind of forget about it. Bathrooms are quite large though and with available robe makes it quite comfy. Will return with more days to spare.

• Stayed January 2013, traveled on business
Thank you for recognizing the beauty and premier location of Marenas Resort. Marenas Resort offers a unique resort experience in a casual upscale environment. The Resort offers both individual guest rooms for those not requring a lot of space, and Condominium Suites which offer full kitchens and laundry facilities. Whatever your needs are, Marenas Resort and its white sandy beaches provide the perfect getaway. We thank you for recognizing our prompt service and clean facilities.

uk
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 23, 2013

Arrived to the hotel in November 2012 much too early, no problem, we left our luggage with helpful porter and went to explore after getting info from the great concierge. Arrived back five hours later (and after check in time) was told to take a seat while room was finshed. One and a half hours later were taken to the room.....not happy when we saw it, got porter to take bags back down and asked to speak with Manager( we were very upset by now). Manager very very helpful, asked us to take a seat and offered us a Magarita while another room was prepared. Go up with bags and porter...to find somenone elses bags still in the room. Back down again,speak with Manager (for the second time) she was most apologetic.. Long story short we were put into a fabulous one bedroom apartment for our stay, which made us wish that our time spent there was much longer. We loved our stay, the beach,pool and bar areas very relaxing. The cafe/restaurant staff very pleasant and helpful. The receptionists were welcoming, if overworked. We loved the Marenas Beach Resort,and the location which even without a car is great.(bus stop right outside)
Only two negatives. No.1..the hotel has some rooms and apartments which are privately owned and the standard is not all the same, The room we were first put into was a privately owned one and not satisfactory. No.2. Not enough housekeeping staff, but this seems to be a problem all over Florida.
We would love to go back again.....as soon as possible.

Room Tip: Corner apartments have views of the bay and the beach.
  • Stayed November 2012, traveled as a couple
Thank you for sharing your positive experience at Marenas Beach Resort and Spa with Trip Advisor. Although things didn't start out great, I am truly happy to hear our staff was able to take a negative experience and turn it into a positive memory. Our staff does take great pride in creating a memorable experience for all of our guests. As you mention, there are some Private Condominium Units that are rented at the property. The Private Units, are generally in good condition, but on occasion, there may be one that may not be up to the same standards as the Marenas Resort rental units.

4 of 5 stars Reviewed January 23, 2013

We booked 5 nights after New Year in Marenas Resort Spa Hotel, my brother had got voucher deal which included registration fee and valet parking. We had a one bedroom suite for 3 of us with a balcony overlooking beach on left and marina on the right on 25th floor. It had self contained kitchen with cooking utensils, dishwasher, washing machine and housekeeping came in every day to clean. We were delighted with the facilities, needed to leave a few extra minutes or call down for valet service as was busy with NFL game betw Alabama & Notre Dame which coincided with our trip. Location was great, few minutes drive to Mall and convenient walk down to restaurants, supermarket & shops. Would stay again!

• Stayed January 2013, traveled with family
Dan M, General Manager at Marenas Resort, responded to this review, February 1, 2013
Thank you for recognizing your pleasant experience at Marenas Resort on Trip Advisor. Marenas Resort offers upscale accomodations directly on the beach in Sunny Isles, FL. We are happy to hear you enjoyed your stay and look forward to your next visit.

Spain
3 of 5 stars Reviewed January 22, 2013

We were in room 02A & 2B which had an amazing view but unfortunately no afternoon sun.

The room was spacious with a nice size kitchen and appliances, a good shower and a very comfortable bed. There were a few things that needed proper repair and instead were taped or covered up.

You pay $27 for parking which is absurd, if you drive down to South Beach you pay $6 for 8 hours...so how they come up with number is beyond me. ALSO, if you have a friend come visit have them park across the street or tip the valet parker 4 dollars and tell him to hold your car up top. If they park it in the garage even if it's for 5 minutes they charge you $10!!!

The front desk staff seems like they have been told to be miserable. We checked in and tipped the gentleman who helped us out and he took the money as if we had handed him a bucket of pennies (we tipped him $20). I think if we gave the pesky seagulls the $20 they would have enjoyed it more thinking that it could potentially be food.

Essentially what makes this hotel is the beach staff. Joe (who I think is the boss) is awesome, he remembers you, helps you find a spot, sets you up and even remembers who you are with and directs them your way when they come down. He is one of a kind. I hope he is payed well because I know that if I was looking for a worker in Miami he is the first person I would try to hire. Jevonne was another young gentleman who I was able to converse with on the beach, he, unlike the front desk staff was engaging, interested and delightful. Both these guys are grade A employees and I hope that the Marenas Resort knows that.

Room Tip: Ask for an 01 room as they have the best view AND afternoon sun.
  • Stayed January 2013, traveled with family
Dan M, General Manager at Marenas Resort, responded to this review, February 4, 2013
Thank you for sharing your feedback with Trip Advisor regarding your recent visit. Our staff is dedicated to providing a positive memorable experience for our guests. We are sorry on some fronts, our staff missed in this goal. However, we are very proud of Joe and our Beach Team. They do a wonderful job for our guests. As you may not be aware, Parking is extremely scarce in the beach area and our property is no different. Although costly, our parking costs are conistent with most hotels in the area.

We thank you for being our guest and for your valuable input as we work to improve for our future guests.

Been to Marenas Resort? Share your experiences!