“Worth considering, but a few points you should know...” 4 of 5 stars

5.0 of 5 Resort   |   17875 Collins Ave., Sunny Isles Beach, FL 33160   |
Special Offer
Fourth Night Free
tampa
“Worth considering, but a few points you should know...”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed April 7, 2013

Summary: Our family (30 something parents and 4 kids aged 4 - 11) stayed at the resort because Acqualina has been showing up on lists of best family resorts. It was an alternative to the Fontainebleau, which several friends have had mediocre experiences at recently. I am glad we tried out the resort; however, it was not sufficiently spectacular to consider a different location on our next trip to Miami. That doesn't mean we won't be back...just that we will consider other properties too. BTW, you might want to avoid this property until the construction next door is complete.

+++++

Staff - Excellent and they are everywhere. The training of the staff is probably the high point of the hotel.

Food Quality - Very good, especially the morning buffet.

Property - Tightly landlocked. Obviously, this resort sits on some of the most expensive property in the United States. It is 4.5 acres, so don't expect this to be a sprawling resort like Atlantis or The Breakers.

Location - Not bad. North of Bal Harbour and about 10 miles from South Beach. We were able to get to dinners in Coconut Grove and South Beach w/o issue.

Pretentiousness - Not bad. As you pull in the drive, you will probably notice ~10 Rolls-Royces and half dozen exotic sports cars parked out front. It sends a strong message, but I think that pretentiousness is left at the front door.

Kid's Club - Nice, but perhaps mildly oversold. I wouldn't suggest it for children 10 or over.

Ocean Access - Great

Pools - There are 3 of them. All are heated. One of them is adults only. The other two are fairly standard, with one being about 3x larger than the other. It's unfortunate that they didn't just combine the two pools into one grand pool b/c the current pools get boring for kids very fast. Also, they are building the Acqualina mansions next door, and the construction noise is pretty loud at the pools....even on Saturdays!

Room Finishing - On par with a Ritz Carlton or Four Seasons

Wireless Internet - Disappointingly weak and intermittent

Pillows - Better than average

Mattresses - Too firm for my taste and actually gave me and my wife sore backs.

Room Tip: Book your cabana early and be sure to specify which pool you prefer.
  • Stayed April 2013, traveled with family

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (106)
Philadelphia, Pa
5 of 5 stars Reviewed April 5, 2013

Multiple Visits At this point. Excellent accommodations and service that is consistent 24/7/365. Consistency is absolutely remarkable ! Same staff year in and year out .... Turn over must be close to nil ! Everyone is on the absolute top of their game.

• Stayed February 2013
Westchester, New York, United States
5 of 5 stars Reviewed April 3, 2013 via mobile

This is one of my favorite hotels in Miami. It makes for a very easy family vacation. Pool and beach has a terrific ambiance. You feel like you are in a posh villa in Italy. Hotel staff is super accommodating. They even offer a kids club which all my kids thoroughly enjoyed!

• Stayed April 2013
Atlanta, Georgia
5 of 5 stars Reviewed March 26, 2013

We loved the resort. Stayed in a very large and beautiful oceanfront suite. Spent a day at the spa. It was fabulous. I had the most wonderful massage ever, from the sweetest woman. My friends enjoyed their facials and massages too. Overall, we had a very nice time. Only complaints I have are the sheets could be softer (aka: higher thread count, although I know I'm spoiled but at this rate, give your guests nicer sheets, please ;), the bar needs to stay open longer.... no night life there after 11pm, from what we saw. That's like a teenagers curfew, lol. So glad we went out in South beach otherwise we would have been really bored at night. The last con was a little mold in the shower and our balcony was nice in size but dipped down towards the rail which made all of us feel a little sick to stay out there too long. The ambiance, food, service from majority of the staff was all superb. I would go back... just might request different sheets/balcony.

Room Tip: I wouldn't stay without an ocean front room, it was gorgeous.
  • Stayed March 2013, traveled with friends
5 of 5 stars Reviewed March 26, 2013

This is my 3rd. stay at the property and have incrementally increased my appreciation and respect for the General Manager (Sase Gjiorsovski) and his staff in its entirety w/each visit. They have consistently maintained my initial impression of the overall exceptional "old school European Class" in their services, and have equally impressed family members (who are now devoted guests) as well. My recent stay reflected the above mentioned standard in every way. And it should be noted that the extremely busy Passover/Spring break weekend w/perfect sunny weather had no detrimental effect whatsoever on the overall experience. Sase (Gen. Magr.) took time out to phone my UPGRADED room (please keep in mind the property was leased to FULL CAPACITY) to verify it was up to my standards as a Leading Hotel Member, personally met me under the 90deg. Miami sky ON THE BEACH to welcome me back to the property, had cold milk/cookies delivered w/a handwritten letter to my 7yr. old daughter welcoming her back, a separated letter addressed to me along w/a ball cap, designer soap/sponge in a tasteful gift bag and mineral water left daily for us. What else can I say.... I've recently spent my 40th. b-day in the World Famous Copacabana Palace (Rio de Janeiro) and the stellar service on that property is but a sparkle to the brilliant radiance of Acqualina Spa and Resort in Sunny Isles. Beach service, pool bar, breakfast staff (omelet station preparer remembered/delivered my order daily)/w the delicious fresh selections were all equally flawless... Planning a return trip in the next few months.....

PS- As I write this, I await delivery of my heavy 18k Gold chain (w/three charms) which I left outside the steam room at the Spa.... Of course the conscientious employee "Miguel" turned it in right away to security, which promptly arranged delivery via Fed Ex and e-mailed me the tracking number while I was STILL ON MY WAY HOME!!.... BRAVO....Need I say more?! :)

Room Tip: High floor, either side
  • Stayed March 2013, traveled with family
Kiev, Ukraine
5 of 5 stars Reviewed March 21, 2013

When I booked this hotel I didn't read any comments, and now having read all these negative comments I understand that was a right decision otherwise I wouldn't have booked it.
We stayed at the Acqualina for 7 nights, and we plan to come back again. We liked everything about it, the check-in, staff service, concierge, etc. Upon arrival our room was upgraded to one-bedroom ocean front suit, we don't know why, but maybe because we were on our honeymoon, the staff fulfilled all our requests friendly, we need golf course, ok, no problem, we need reservation for dinner, no, problem, we need to cancel our reservation, no problem, we need to change the time of our appointment at the spa, ok, no problem though it's not provided by their cancelation policy. The Italian restaurant was very nice.
This is the first time I'm writing my review though we travel a lot, but I just can't believe that all those negative reviews are about the Aqualina.

Room Tip: We stayed at 803B, it was very nice.
  • Stayed March 2013, traveled as a couple
Naples, Florida
2 of 5 stars Reviewed March 18, 2013

This resort is extremely disappointing. Service is poor and the staff not familiar with how to treat customers. Non way this deserves even one star. They even billed me for an extra night which took three days to get reversed.

• Stayed February 2013, traveled as a couple

Been to Acqualina Resort & Spa on the Beach? Share your experiences!