“Beautiful exterior but bug infested interior” 2 of 5 stars
Review of Residences at Intracoastal Yacht Club

Save Saved
You added Residences at Intracoastal Yacht Club to your Saves list
Residences at Intracoastal Yacht Club
5.0 of 5 Condominium   |   16900 North Bay Road, Sunny Isles Beach, FL 33160   |
Ridgefield Park, New Jersey
“Beautiful exterior but bug infested interior”
2 of 5 stars Reviewed August 5, 2013

A handful of friends and I stayed here for Spring Break weekend and it was the worst decision we ever made. Let me begin with the most important thing, the rooms have cockroaches. The first day we were there one of the girls we stayed with said she saw one in the closet but we all disregarded her. I really wish we wouldn't have. It was a few days later when we all came back to the room and turned the light on to find cockroaches crawling up the walls. The nightstands were not cleaned out and the people before us left some kind of sticky food in the draws which attracted ants. It was literally a house full of bugs. We then realized why we probably got such a good deal on the place. The place itself is actually very nice on the outside and the pool was beautiful. However, the staff was not accommodating at all. I am a pretty easy going person but when I say they were terrible I truly mean it. Each time we tried to talk to someone in person they would walk passed us or tell us they will send someone to speak to us, which they never did. They had no explanation about the bugs and said they never received a complaint like that before, yet when we came home and did some more research on the place we found reviews about people stating they saw cockroaches as well. One of our toilets wasn't working upon arriving and it took five repeated phone calls and hours later before anybody came. All I can is don't be fooled by the exterior like we were and make a decision you will regret.

• Stayed March 2013

93 people have reviewed this hotel

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (16)
Sunny Isles, Florida, United States
4 of 5 stars Reviewed May 23, 2013

I live in the intracoastal yacht club.
I know who the Elite City Stays were. Thankfully - NO MORE. They were crooks and their approach for doing business did not help the community a bit.
Our community is very good. If you book through the booking.com or other "hotel sites" you would be disappointed. It is a residential community, not a hotel, so please, do not expect any of the hotel services. But if you put yourself aside from that, and you would like to enjoy the surroundings - it is a best place you will ever find.
There are number of companies that rent "short term" here and it all depends on your taste and your budget. You can find anything from *** to *****.
Most of the places in Sunny Isles won't allow short term rent, regardless of what you hear. Here you won't feel "somebody's relatives".

• Stayed May 2013, traveled with family
Haapsalu, Estonia
3 of 5 stars Reviewed April 16, 2013

I preface my review by stating that I needed a hotel to accomodate my three daughters, my sister
and myself for the second half of March. I contacted a hotel in Sunny Isles that I stayed in before,
a Hilton. They had a nice beach, a swimming pool the size of a large bath tub, a very minimal
breakfast and most annoying to me, in any hotel, they charged for Wi-Fi and had a daily valet
parking fee of $27. Which is annoying not just for the money, but everytime you needed your
car, Murphy's Law, everyone else needed theirs so you sat and waited and then were expected
to give a tip. So when I called them back to ask if they had a room available, they said yes but
their rate had practically doubled which they explained had to do with the fact that this was the
Easter holiday.

Alot of the other beachfront hotels in Sunny Isles, at least the high-rise ones, had similar rates,
that is to say, outrageously high. So when you add the Florida tax and the valet parking, you are
really overpaying. Which brought me to Intracoastal Residences. I knew the location, which is
good. Its a short walk to Collins Avenue, the main street where there is local access to the beach. A two bedroom suite was reasonably priced, parking and Wi-Fi was free. There was a
fully equipped kitchen, and free access to a spa and swimming pool. So my next step was to
read the reviews. Unfortunately, they were mostly negative and some were extremely negative.
They had to do with the lack of customer service, more the non-responsiveness of management.
So I wrote an email to them and got a very prompt response which basically said, yes, they were
aware of certain shortcomings but they had made improvements. And if I wasnt satisfied, I could
cancel my reservation. So I braced myself and took the plunge.

One thing to understand about this place is that it isnt a hotel in your standard definition of the
term. Most of the units are long term rentals. This Intracoastal is a business within a business.
They own a handful of units which they rent on short-term basis and that is why the people you
would ordinarily speak to at a hotel where you need something, have nothing to do with Intracoastal. Which can make solving a problem a bit daunting.

We arrived to Fort Lauderdale late from New York so we didnt arrive until well after midnight.
There is a guardhouse at the gate who gave us an envelope with our keys and instructions for
the free internet. We drove up to the front door, were greeted by a very pleasant Cuban boy
(most of the staff is Cuban and/or Latin American, quite charming and helpful).

The next day I discovered they had forgotten to include a pass key to the pool and spa. And
so for the next several days I had a hellish experience. I talked to alot of people, got alot of
promises, no action. The height of frustration. Exactly what had been written in the reviews.

Also, if you are a stickler for cleanliness ( my daughters all are) then Residences has a way to
go. Our shower had the same mildew as a previous reviewer had complained about. The rugs
were a bit shabby and needed a good steam cleaning. So this is what was sub-par. What was
good?

The swimming pool and spa on the fifth floor is excellent. Big area, big pool, modern spa with
all conceivable kinds of machines. And long hours from early morning to late evening. The room
we had was big and the beds comfortable and the view of the intracoastal was lovely. But the
best of all was that this management had the good sense to hire JoAnn, a lovely, smart Puerto
Rican woman from New York whose job it is to put things back into normal order. She's highly
organized, polite and efficient. When I finally found out where her office was and told her about
the swimming pool/spa access card, I had it immediately. She gave me hers! Needed fresh
towels? Done. Any other problem? It got solved. And thankfully so because this place has alot
of things going for it and simple good management will make all these bad reviews go away.

There is no breakfast nor restaurant here but we didnt mind it at all. We love breakfast at
Denny's or Epicure, both on Collins Avenue. And fresh fruit in Florida this time of year is just
wonderful, so the frig was always full of watermelon, canteloupe, etc. etc.

The parket valets were always courteous and it took just minutes to get your car. The neighborhood is real nice, quiet and green and walking 10 minutes to the beach is good for you.
And when you consider the rate they charge which includes the Wi-Fi and free parking, Intracoastal is a good deal. And it seemed to me that there are people working there who really
want the place to be better and provide a good vacation memory. The proof: my daughters,
sister and I all felt we would return.

Room Tip: Ask for Building 2, room 910
  • Stayed March 2013, traveled with family
Chicago, Illinois
1 of 5 stars Reviewed March 14, 2013

We have yet to make our trip to Miami and when I cancelled the booking they never refunded my money. My bank had to take care of it for me. I spoke to a lady 7 days after I cancelled and she told me that it had been refunded and I needed to contact my bank. I spoke with the bank and they informed me that it was still a charge. I called the office back and the same lady answered, put me on hold, came back to the phone and said, It was an error in processing and it would be refunded the same day. I waited and additional 3 days, still no refund. I called back and they sent me to voicemail everytime I called after that for an entire 48 hours. Horrible service. I had to send and email to bookings.com and dispute the charge with my bank. I finally received my refund yesterday and it was only because my bank to care of it. The reason for the cancellation was because of the horrible reviews about trying to get in touch with someone and they were right. I would NEVER book another trip without reading the reviews again.

• Stayed March 2013, traveled as a couple
Chicago, Illinois
1 of 5 stars Reviewed March 11, 2013

Please, read reviews, policies and view all travelers photos before booking!!!!! This is by far the worse hotel ever, we haven't even packed to began on our trip and we're having problems. We heed the warning signs and cancel. Week one and we still getting the run arounds, represenative claimed that the refund was submitted, then claims it was an error on the banking. Still no refund and now the represenative has forward all calls to another phone (seems to be a cell) no answer. Voice mailbox full and woldn't you know, they appear to be associated with Globalquarters.com which is based out of NY. They seemed to be more helpful only if they knew who we were...dead end and more run arounds...Again I say, we haven't even left for our trip yet. DON"T WASTE YOUR TIME NOR MONEY!!!!

• Stayed March 2013, traveled as a couple
Detroit, Michigan
3 of 5 stars Reviewed March 3, 2013

Let me start by saying that I am not that picky when it comes to hotels; I normally take the reviews at face value and try to give the benefit of the doubt.

That being said, this could truly be a decent place to stay if they paid attention to detail.

Mildewed shower - unacceptable. Take the time to use Tilex once in a while - it goes a long way.

Clogged dryer vent - again, take the time to make sure the appliances are in good working order. It's a huge annoyance to have spent the money on laundry supplies only to find out the dryer will not dry the clothes.

Wi-fi did not work. When we called down, they offered to leave a message for someone, but we never got a call back.

The valet is annoying, especially if you leave something in the car.

No extra garbage bags, dish soap, or dish towels.

I get that these are condo apartments, but for the cost, I expected a lot more; it's a shame because it truly is a nice place in a nice location. I feel if you're going to advertise on the major travel sites, you should have your stuff together.

• Stayed March 2013
Boston, Massachusetts
1 of 5 stars Reviewed February 4, 2013

As others have pointed out and warned, this is not a real hotel, but a few units owned by City Elite Stays. The larger property looks very nice driving up, but once inside you can tell this was a "busted condo deal" gone bad. We had a large 3 bedroom unit; but found it to be dirty, dirty dirty, and unsafe - the door and slider did not lock property. Customer service is a real issue. We gave a cash deposit at check in (after waiting 30 minutes for someone to show up). When it was time to leave there was no one at the office so we could not get our money back. Again we waited 30 minutes but no one helped out. I am surprised that the major travel sites continuee to do business with City Elite.

Room Tip: Rooms with City Elite Stay should be avoided.
  • Stayed January 2013, traveled with family

Been to Residences at Intracoastal Yacht Club? Share your experiences!