“A great place to get away and soak up the sun” 5 of 5 stars

You added Sole on the Ocean to your Saves list
Sole on the Ocean
4.0 of 5 Hotel   |   17315 Collins Avenue, Sunny Isles Beach, FL 33160   |
Toronto, Canada
“A great place to get away and soak up the sun”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 7, 2014

Our time at Sole on the Ocean was a great experience. During one of the busiest weekends in Miami this hotel, while fairly full, never felt over crowded. The location is great - you are a short drive from the activities in South Beach; a reasonable drive to both FFL and MIA airports; and there is access to lots of shopping. The staff are extremely warm and friendly (especially Kamille) and take a genuine interest in ensuring you are enjoying your stay. You can eat in the restaurant, by the pool or right on the beach. We had lot to do in Miami, but could have easily spent the entire weekend just by the ocean listening to music and enjoying the atmosphere of this hotel. I'm already planning my next visit to Miami and it is because of my experience at this hotel.

• Stayed December 2013, traveled with friends
GSMSanford, Guest Relations Manager at Sole on the Ocean, responded to this review, January 14, 2014
Dear Valued Guest;
Thank you for taking the time to post a review.
We are glad to that you chose Sole Hotel where orto spend your holiday weekend. Our property sits on the pristine beaches of Sunny Isles, Florida also known as Americas Riviera and is close to Bar Harbour Shoppes and Aventura Mall.
Sole Hotel has direct Ocean Front access to the beach and Atlantic Ocean for swimming, snorkeling, paddle boarding or just lounging on the beach or by the pool. Whether in the Restaurant overlooking the Blue waters of the Atlantic Ocean or by the Pool or on the Beach, Alba Seaside Italian by Celebrity Chef Ralph Pagano is one of the best places to “eat, drink, play and repeat”
We look forward to greeting you again Next Year or sooner!

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (173)
  • Polish first
New York City, New York
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 5, 2014

Trying to avoid craziness of South Beach I usually stay in North Miami when down in Florida. Love Sunny Isles the best and Sole on the Ocean is by far the best hotel in the area. Staff is great, front office is friendly and accommodating. Rooms are spacious with amazing view! It's quite far from main entertainment and if you are looking for more fun this is not the right area for you. If you are looking for quiet, relaxing area with CLEAN beach and water, away from crowds - this is place to be! Supermarkets, starbucks, delis - all steps away. There is a nice restaurant at the hotel which is great for breakfast. I have stayed there at least 5 times now and can't wait to be back to Sole!

• Stayed April 2013, traveled with friends
Dear Valued Guest;
Thank you for taking the time to post a message and to sharing your feedback, which is greatly appreciated. We are happy to hear that you had a pleasant experience and how much you enjoyed your return stay with us and that our Associates were equally helpful in enhancing your SOLE experience.

Alba Seaside Italian, led by Celebrity Chef Ralph Pagano, serves Breakfast, Lunch and Dinner in the Restaurant, as well as, Lunch Poolside or Beach-side and is rated #1 on Sunny Isles and sits directly on blue waters of the Atlantic Ocean in Sunny Isles, also known as Americas Riviera. Once you are Sunny Isles, it is very assessable to shopping, bars, and just steps away from the Hotel.
Sunny Isles has offers the conveniences of a “Big City” presence together with “Small Town” appeal and with easy access to shopping, bars, shopping and supermarkets.
Off Property attractions, such as Wave-runner rentals, Tours to the Keys, Everglade, or Historic South Miami which can be planned by our Concierges..
Our reservations specialists are always happy to assist to book you next visit to Sole or you can contact me directly for assistance.

Thank you for choosing Sole on the Ocean as your destination location and we hope to welcome you back to the Hotel soon!
Boynton Beach, Florida, United States
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 3, 2014

We came here for a quick weekend getaway to celebrate a birthday. Giovanni not only accommodated us, but upgraded our room at no extra charge!!! He was a fantastic concierge and took the very best care of us on our stay here. We cannot wait to come back!! Thank you so much Gio and the rest of the staff at Sole on the ocean :)

• Stayed November 2013, traveled with friends
Dear Valued Guest;
Thank you for taking the time to post a message and sharing your feedback which always greatly appreciated.
We are excited to hear that you had a pleasant Celebratory stay with us which was enhanced by being randomly chosen for an upgrade as our “Guest of the Day”. We value our Associates and are glad that Giovanni was instrumental in enhancing your SOLE experience. Thank you for choosing Sole on the Ocean as your destination location. We look forward to welcoming you back to the Hotel soon!

Toronto, Canada
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 2, 2014

Firstly – location. The hotel is located on Sunny Isles Beach on a busy strip of Collins Ave. For the most part, this was an ideal location us. We had friends staying at various buildings within a 10 minute walk north and south of us. The hotel is a quick drive to Aventura Mall to the North and to Bal Harbor to the South (both less than 5 minutes without traffic). There is a fishing pier about a 5 minute walk south of the hotel. A special kite flying park about 4 minutes south by car. There are various restaurants, shops, and grocery stores in the immediate vicinity. Most of the trendier restaurants that my wife and I went to at night with our friends were further away in various parts of the city south of the hotel and required a car/taxi, which would have been required most nights anyway regardless of where we were staying. Also, directly across the street from the hotel is a nice large playground with swings, slides, etc. if you have young children.

We stayed at Sole for 8 nights over Christmas and New Year’s. We thoroughly enjoyed our experience at the hotel. There were 5 of us in our party – myself, my wife, our two young children (ages 4 and 2 ½), and our nanny. We had originally booked a two bedroom bay view suite. When we arrived, they upgraded us to a two bedroom ocean view suite. When we had booked our room, we neglected to ensure whether there was a washer/dryer in the suite, as our experiences to date, there have always been laundry machines in the suite units. A few days before arriving, I called the hotel to verify. They told us that some units do, but that ours did not. The hotel staff was not very aware of which units had laundry and which did not. Apparently, some of the hotel rooms are actually owned privately and can be made available to rent through the hotel. It is these privately owned units that may or may not have a washer/dryer (depending on whether the owner opted to install them). The hotel-owned rooms do not have washer/dryers (so I was told). The room we got upgraded to did have a washer and dryer in it, which was a HUGE relief. For your reference, we stayed in room 2301 A & B. One minor hiccup upon check in was that we had asked for and confirmed a crib for our 2 year old. Instead of one of those smaller hotel cribs, they brought up a pack ‘n play, which is what they call a “crib”. This had us a little on edge as our 2 year old had never slept in one before. In the end, he slept great in it, so no-harm, no-foul. However, if you actually require a crib, pre-arrange to rent one as the hotel does not have anything other than pack ‘n plays.

The hotel room itself was great. The rooms are not ultra luxurious if that is what you are hoping for, but neither is the price. Again, for our needs, the room was perfect. As mentioned, it had a washer/dryer. The main room is open concept and has a washroom (no shower), sitting area with large flat screen TV and large couch, a large round table for 4 chairs, and a small kitchen. (Note: no DVD player). The kitchen was furnished with clean new appliances which included a small dishwasher (with single load detergent packages provided), Keurig coffee maker, large refrigerator/freezer, ceramic stove top, and a 2-in-1 microwave oven/standard oven (which I had never seen before and though was pretty neat). The kitchen was also stocked with dishware, silverware, and glassware. If you wanted to actually cook something, you had to ask the front desk to get cookware brought up (pots, pans, spatulas, etc.) The two bedrooms themselves were quite nice. They were good sized, clean, minimally decorated, had dimmer switches for the lights, large flat-screen TV, and had good black-out drapes with ample window coverage to keep the light out (good for our two year old who still takes an afternoon nap). The bathrooms were clean, modern, had good counter space for toiletries, and had satisfactory water pressure given we were on the second to last floor. The master bathroom had a shower and tub, the second bathroom a shower only. The balcony wrapped around the corner of the unit and had a very sturdy glass barrier (I always check). However, no furniture to sit on – which I actually came to prefer since it meant I did not have to worry about my children climbing up on them and over the barrier. The room had other small little touches that you don’t really think about when researching a room, but come to appreciate. For instance, the entrance doors had small magnets attached to the door stops behind them which allowed you to easily keep them propped open and they closed with a light tug. The magnetic key cards to the rooms were also new in that you did not have to fumble with them to insert them into a tiny slot in a particular direction – you merely had to hold your card up near the lock sensor to open. I did not even have to take mine out of my wallet and simply just held my wallet up to the door. The rooms themselves were quiet. We did not hear any noise from the hallways or from the beach when the balcony doors were closed (except on new year's eve from the fireworks).

The valet cost $25/day with in and out privileges ($17 for day guests). The valet was always very prompt. I would call down for my car just moments before leaving my room and most times it was waiting for me when I got downstairs. The longest I had to wait was perhaps 3 minutes, which is quite amazing considering the busy time of year we were there. Given a relatively small space for a driveway and loading zone, the area is well designed and I was never in fear of smashing into anything.

The pool and beach area were fantastic. The pool itself is modest, but fair in size and rectangular – perhaps 25 feet long. It was heated (about 85 degrees or warmer) and had two shallow ends (one on each end) with the deepest part being about 5 feet deep in the center. The pool area had large bathrooms that were clean (most of the time) and large, comfortable, cushioned furniture including outdoor day-beds, some of which were covered (but these were in limited supply). The music at the pool was current and not too loud. Unlike other resorts where you tell the staff how many chairs and towels you want and then you wait while they set them up, the chairs were all ready to go around 9:00 in the morning. By the time we would get down to the beach around 9:30 AM, the beach staff would have already prepared dozens of beach chairs in rows which were also all cushioned. The chairs are set up in two’s with each pair getting a small table and an umbrella (which never blew over despite very strong winds). Each morning they prepared a huge freshly raked mound of sand with buckets and shovels for the kids. Because the chairs were already set up, there were less obvious opportunities to tip the beach/pool boys. I liked this because that expectation and feeling of obligation to tip was not there. To show our appreciation for their hard work we would create other opportunities by asking for various “extras” and then tip them handsomely which they really appreciated. Our kids ate most of their lunches on the beach from the poolside restaurant. Given our children’s eating habits, we limited our orders to chicken fingers, french fries, plain cheese pizza, and fruit salad. Given our past experiences at other places we didn’t expect much. However, these four items from the menu were reasonably priced given the convenience factor and all were surprisingly VERY delicious (particularly the french fries and plain cheese pizza). I cannot speak to the other items on the menu.

Wi-Fi connection was strong in all areas of the hotel’s property - excluding the elevators.

I did not use the gym (hey, I'm on vacation), but did a quick walk through and the locker room / washroom was modern and spotless, the gym cool and spotless, and diversity of equipment was solid.

We found all the hotel staff very accommodating and helpful (bellmen, valet, housekeeping, pool boys, servers, etc.). Perhaps our most delightful experience came on our 3rd day when a staff member from hotel security went above and beyond his call of duty. Our 4 year old son had fallen hard on his face by the pool and his teeth cut deeply into his inner upper lip. He was bleeding heavily and crying hysterically. When one of the poolside servers noticed, she immediately notified hotel security and brought over ice in the meantime. He arrived within a minute and said that he would call an ambulance. I was hesitant to have him do so as we are Canadian and I was not sure what my travel medical insurance would cover without first getting pre-approval and I did not want to get stuck with a $1,000 ambulance ride if it wasn’t truly necessary. I told him I would have to first quickly call my insurance company. Seeing how distraught my wife was and the scared tears on my son’s face, he told us that while I was on the phone with my insurers, that he was going to run across the street to the nearby fire station where there would likely be a paramedic on site who could do a quick assessment and advise us if a hospital visit was necessary. He told us to wait on the sidewalk in front of the hotel. Within a few minutes the fire truck arrived and the paramedics treated my son on the spot for what turned out to be only a very minor injury (no loose teeth, no stitches, no scars) that only required ice and a few hours of popsicles and ice cream. Since returning home, he has been busy telling his friends about the “fire truck doctors” who came in such a hurry just to see him.

If I had to be really picky I would fault the hotel on only a few things: (1) not being able to secure a room with a washer/dryer; (2) pool-side washrooms not being up-kept promptly throughout the day; (3) not having a dvd player in the room; (4) batteries in one of our TV remotes were dead, but we never bothered to notify the hotel.

Room Tip: If having a washer/dryer in your room is important to you, try to request one of the privately-owned...
Dear Guest;

Thank you for taking the time to post a message and sharing your feedback, it is always greatly appreciated. We are thrilled to hear that you had a pleasant stay with us and that our Hotel and Associates met your expectations during your stay. We are glad that you took advantage of our updated on property amenities, facilities and overall aesthetic design and concept of the Hotel. Our Property sits on the pristine beaches of Sunny Isles, Florida also known as Americas Riviera and has direct Ocean Front access to the beach and Atlantic Ocean via our Beach Club’s Resort entrance and our Restaurant Alba, by Celebrity Chef Ralph Pagano, serves Breakfast, Lunch and Dinner in the Restaurant ,as well as, Lunch Poolside or Beachside. WiFi and Access to the Beach Club are included for the fee of $15 per day, as well as, access to the Fitness room and Saunas. Our Private Pool and Beach serves Food and Beverage and we offer Safe and Easy on-site parking is available through our Valet department.

We will advise our Associates of your kind words of recognition and encouragement for providing the utmost service to our Guests.

sanantonio
4 of 5 stars Reviewed January 2, 2014

from the time we checked in, we knew the names of the people at the front desk, the restaurant, the bar, and the beach helpers. small in size for a beach hotel, it was personal, pleasant and a hotel we will definitely return to. would like the addition of soap dishes, but if that's the only complaint, how lucky are we? problem in giving great reviews is that it will now always be filled up!
beautiful beach views - as it's a small hotel, we wish they would consider making it "adults only" although we did not find the children to be a problem. we can't wait to return! luxurious linens and very generous with towels.

Room Tip: ask for rooms facing the beach - view is spectacular and well worth the cost difference
Dear Valued Guest;
Thank you for taking the time to post a message and sharing your feedback which is greatly appreciated.
Our Property sits on the pristine beaches of Sunny Isles, Florida also known as Americas Riviera. Our Hotel has direct Ocean Front access to our private Beach and the Atlantic Ocean where we welcome Guests from all over the World, many of which are Families since our Hotel is centrally located to many Family-centric Theme Parks and attractions.
We are thrilled to hear that you had a pleasant stay with us and that each of our Hotel Associates made a personal connection with you and your traveling companion. As a Boutique Hotel, we value a personalized experience from the moment you arrive, through your stay and until your departure.
Thank you for choosing Sole on the Ocean as your destination location. Please feel free to reach out to me directly upon your next visit. We look forward to welcoming you back to the Hotel soon!

United States
4 of 5 stars Reviewed January 1, 2014

Today we returned from a family vacation at "Sole On The Ocean. Our quiet "zen like" suite was sleek with a beautiful view, kitchen, living room with two bedrooms and 2 1/2 baths. The bed linens complete with a light as a feather comforter, were soft, luxurious and being all white gave you the assurance of cleanliness... nothing to hide.
Our reservation made through Kayak was never entered into the Hotel's system, however this glitch was handled professionally and personally by Manager of Guest Relations, Sanford Di Donna. He graciously went the extra mile to make our stay memorable and welcoming, complete with an upgrade and a glass of champagne for us while we waited only a short time for our suite to be available.If you are booking even months in advance through a third party, I suggest you call the hotel directly, way in advance of your arrival to be certain you are in the hotel system.
The staff feels genuinely friendly, which is refreshing. Access to the beach and pool is easy and their restaurant has a beautiful setting. The restaurant appeared to be short on wait staff, which made things slow and inefficient. The breakfast was average. The location of this hotel is located conveniently near restaurants, markets and a playground which is great for families with children.
The added charges other reviewers have discussed are standard at most hotels and resorts. Oh Well!!!
We plan on returning!

• Stayed December 2013, traveled with family
GSMSanford, Front Office Manager at Sole on the Ocean, responded to this review, January 3, 2014
Dear Guest;
Thank you for taking the time to post a message and sharing your feedback, it is always greatly appreciated. We are thrilled to hear that you had a pleasant stay with us and that our Hotel and Associates, especially Sanford, met your expectations, and for his assistance with our booking partners. We are glad that you took advantage of our updated on property amenities, facilities of the Hotel. Our Property sits on the pristine beaches of Sunny Isles, Florida also known as Americas Riviera and has direct Ocean Front access to the beach and Atlantic Ocean. Our Restaurant Alba, by Celebrity Chef Ralph Pagano, serves Breakfast, Lunch and Dinner in the Restaurant ,as well as, Lunch Poolside or Beachside.
Front Desk Manager
Kansas City, Missouri
5 of 5 stars Reviewed December 21, 2013

I have stayed at Sole on the Ocean several times. The hotel was not quite finished the first couple of times I stayed here. The gym was not yet completed and the only food served was at the pool bar but our stay was great. The location is convenient and ocean front room was wonderful. The furniture is contemporary, the kitchen is more than adequate and the shared washer and dryer make it convenient to travel light. I enjoyed the one bedroom suite because if I was up when my wife was still in bed I was able to enjoy the comfort of the unit without disturbing her. The view from the expansive balcony that stretches from the living room to the bedroom is wonderful.
The reception/ check in area is of contemporary design with sophisticated, clean lines. The small gym now available is adequate. The hotel offers live entertainment in the now completed dining room.
The pool is small but I go to Miami to be on the beach and the beach here is quite nice.
The hotel is far enough away from the heart of South Beach to avoid the hub bub and near enough to visit and enjoy it. Shopping for essentials and both simple and sophisticated dining is available within walking distance.
Enjoy!

Room Tip: My advice is to choose an ocean front suite.
  • Stayed December 2013, traveled as a couple
GSMSanford, Guest Relations Manager at Sole on the Ocean, responded to this review, January 3, 2014
Dear Valued Guest;

Thank you for taking the time to post a message and sharing your feedback, it is always greatly appreciated that you wrote such a detailed review, it is always valuable. We are thrilled to hear that you had a pleasant stay with us and that our Hotel and Associates met your expectations during each of your stays with us. With so many return visits, you are officially a part of the Sole family. We are glad that you took advantage of our most recent updated on property amenities, facilities and overall esthetic design and concept of the Hotel.. Our Property sits on the pristine beaches of Sunny Isles, Florida also known as Americas Riviera and has direct Ocean Front access to the beach and Atlantic Ocean. Our Restaurant Alba, by Celebrity Chef Ralph Pagano, serves Breakfast, Lunch and Dinner in the Restaurant ,as well as, Lunch Poolside or Beachside.

We are always very happy to welcoming returning guests to Sole and look forward to seeing you on your next visit.
Manager, Guest Relations and Hospitality

Been to Sole on the Ocean? Share your experiences!