“Great location and great staff....beach superb” 4 of 5 stars

Sole on the Ocean
4.0 of 5 Hotel   |   17315 Collins Avenue, Sunny Isles Beach, FL 33160   |
GreenLeadersBronze level
Toronto, Canada
“Great location and great staff....beach superb”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed March 29, 2013

We have spent several weeks three years in a row here and find the location great; beautiful beach and we are beach front.
Starting from the manager, Martin Mehnert who is superb, to Sandy and Gio at the front desk, to the beacch staff under Diego, the valet parking staffincluding Diego, ALfredo, Steve and others, Paul, Wayne from engineering and so many more..... you get the feeling that they really care about and for you. That makes up for anything that isnt perfect!
And the rooms are cleaned daily - what a treat!
While it is getting pricy, I recommend it for all the above reasons.
I know I have left people out; please forgive me.
THis year we were here from Feb 1 to March 10.

Room Tip: While more expensive, the ocean sounds and view enhanced our vacation time away. A home away from ho...
  • Stayed February 2013, traveled as a couple
SoleotoFOM, Front Office Manager at Sole on the Ocean, responded to this review, April 10, 2013
Dear Valued Guest: Our entire team is so pleased to have you as part of the Sole family. Sole is a boutique hotel and our entire team strives to welcome each guest with a personalized experience in an chic and intimate beach setting. Sole has many one and two bedroom suites, which accommodate longer stays such as yours as well as families traveling together. We look forward to welcome you back each year.

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (199)
  • Polish first
Singapore, Singapore
3 of 5 stars Reviewed March 28, 2013

My wife and I drove up from Key West and did not manage to find the entrance to the hotel lobby until we drove past it! A word of advise, please drive slowly when the GPS prompted you that you have reached and you will have enough time to turn into a slope up to the hotel lobby. Valet parking is the only option there and we have to pay a parking fee for that.

Friendly and helpful staffs at the front desk. Clean room with kitchenette, publix supermarket is nearby so we made use of that and got ourselves some food to cook in the room. The kitchenette did not come with any pot and pan, we have to call the front desk and get them to deliver pot and pan to our room.

We realized that it is better to go to the front desk if you want anything from them, if you call the front desk from your room, you might have to wait for a long time. Once, we had our room serviced and the room keeper did not leave us any floor mat to wipe our feet in the bathroom, I called the front desk twice and waited for around an hour before I get the floor mat delivered to our room.

We booked ourselves a day tour to everglades and we waited for our pick up at the lobby which is not at the ground level. The pick up bus did not manage to drive up the slope for its size , so he got the tour agent to call the front desk and tried looking for us at the lobby, the staff at the front desk put him on hold for more than 7 minutes! When the staff told us that our pick up is actually waiting for us at the ground level outside our hotel, the pick up has already gone as it was late for other pick ups at other hotels leaving us with no choice but to book the tour for the next day.

Public transport by bus around Miami is by far the most inexpensive way but we used a lot of waiting time. Taxi that took us from our hotel to the 112 Ocean Drive cost us approximately $45!

• Stayed March 2013, traveled as a couple
SoleotoFOM, Front Office Manager at Sole on the Ocean, responded to this review, April 3, 2013
Dear Valued Guest: The area is indeed beautiful and conveniently located within easy walking and driving distance to restaurants, shops and entertainment. Thank you for taking the time to write such a detailed review. Rest assured we have shared your comments with our front office and housekeeping staff. Our entire team strives to provide personalized and prompt customer service and we apologize for your inconvenience. We hope that you will visit our beautiful beaches again so that you may see the true Sole experience.
Wyckoff, New Jersey, United States
5 of 5 stars Reviewed March 25, 2013

My girlfriend and myself decided to drive down from New Jersey to Miami in order to get away from the cold weather. With intentions of attending events in Miami and South Beach, we chose Sole for its location just outside of the city. Since we had our car, it was easy for us to get back and forth from Miami. Although our room was not ready when we arrived, the staff was very accommodating. They stored our luggage and we were able use the amenities such as the pool and beach while we waited. By the time we arrived to the room, our bags were waiting for us inside along with a white and orange, Sole beach ball (which made a great souvenir). The bed was very comfortable and the sound of the ocean was soothing which is just what we needed after a twenty hour car ride.

In the morning we hit the beach and were guided to two lounge chairs near the water while able to place food and drink orders with a waiter. After enjoying lunch on the beach, we returned to the lobby to seek advice from the hotel's concierge, Sanford. My girlfriend and I were new to this area and wanted to explore a little bit. He was very knowledgeable and resourceful with his suggestions. We were given very great advice on restaurants and night life around Sunny Isles and even things to do out in Miami.

Upon our last day of the trip, we were in no rush to get back into the car for the trip back up north. So we prepared ourselves for a day on the beach, packed up our bags and were once again able to store them while we lounged by the pool. We had lunch again from the hotel's restaurant, Alba (The truffle fries and tuna tartare were delicious). Before almost a day's worth of driving, we utilized the Spa rooms on the fifth floor to shower and compose ourselves. The sauna was very relaxing (luckily I didn't have the first driving shift!). Our bags were brought out to the front as the valet brought our car around and everything was loaded into the trunk for us. It felt as though we were going to be missed.

Our stay would not have been so pleasant if it was not for the staff of the hotel. Everyone that we interacted with was very professional and genuine. I cannot say that I had any complaints during my stay at Sole On The Ocean and I see myself returning there upon my next trip to southern Florida!

Room Tip: Seems that all the rooms have an ocean view
  • Stayed March 2013, traveled as a couple
Dear Valued Guest: we are so pleased that you enjoyed your stay from start to finish. Sole on the Ocean is a beachfront boutique hotel and the primary emphasis of our entire team is to personalized and memorable stay in a chic beach setting. Everything from the design of the hotel to the selection of linens to food service at the beach were all selected with guest comfort and convenience in mind and we are glad you were able to take full advantage of these. We look forward to welcoming you back on your next road trip to south Florida.
Orlando, Florida
2 of 5 stars Reviewed March 24, 2013

Room was very small, I mean very small - no dresser. No furniture at all on balcony - paid over 200 a night and felt I was overcharged for what was offered. Asked to check out late and they said you would have to check tomorrow saying right now no - how pathetic. I have never been told I could not get a late checkout till 1 pm - ridiculous. I booked on one of the websites saying it was a 4 star hotel - I don't think so. We were charged resort fees so they could get more money - just $15 a day, but really not ethical in my opinion. Valet was $25 a day which I think is high for Miami with on site parking. I highly would recommend you get a different hotel. I travel quite a bit and this hotel disappointed me - I'd say I am satisfied with the hotels I stay at about 95% of the time. staff was polite, but hotel seems very greedy and the value wasn't there - trust me don't stay here.

Room Tip: Don't stay at Sole
  • Stayed March 2013, traveled as a couple
Dear Valued Guest: We want all guests to be happy and are truly sorry to hear that your stay was not as expected. Kindly allow me to touch on a few points that you raise. Regarding the late checkout, we try to accommodate this as often as we can. During the time of your request, we the hotel was fully committed with a high volume of check ins, which unfortunately limited our ability to accommodate late check out requests. We do, however, in such instances offer guests the use of the beach club, the spa to shower and change prior to departure and to hold luggage until departure. Regarding the resort and valet fees, these are standard charges for beachfront hotels in Miami. Guests should certainly be made aware of these fees prior to booking to avoid any surprises. We certainly understand how unexpected fees can effect ones stay and have attempted to make this information as visible as possible on all online booking websites as well as our own website and confirmation letters. We will certainly review the visibility of this information online and apologize for the inconvenience. We thank you for your valuable feedback.
Santa Barbara, CA
3 of 5 stars Reviewed March 23, 2013

Recently stayed for 5 days at the Sole' on the Ocean Hotel. It is nice - and a bit different than I expected. Located right on the sand, this portion of north Miami is less crowded than the south beach area. The beach is very wide and clean, and the water is a beautiful turquoise. This entire thin strip of land between the ocean and the inter-coastal waterway is full of hotels, or hotel/condominium combinations. In combination properties, condo owners cannot reside in their units more than six months a year - so they are predominantly vacation properties. During the day, many hotels, including the Sole' put umbrellas and beach chairs out on the sand for their clients, then bring them in before sunset. So, a walk along the beach as the sun sets is unencumbered by all of that and is really quite beautiful.
The hotel staff is great. Polite, kind, and helpful, they are ready to correct any problem to the best of their ability. From the front desk to the valets - they are pleasant and helpful.
I stayed in a one bedroom suite, which had a full kitchen. This room was advertised and priced as a partial ocean view suite. It was not. My room looked directly out onto the side view of a tall hotel/condo building. Neighboring buidings are very close as the Sole' is on a narrow lot, more narrow than some of the other hotels. There was a tiny balcony, and if I stepped out onto it, and turned 90 degrees toward the water, I could see the ocean down a corridor between the buildings. I would say my balcony had a partial view, but I did not feel like my room did nor did I. This was very disappointing as I called twice before my arrival to ensure I was not put in a room like this. And it happened anyway. So just be forewarned... the Sole is advertising partial ocean views and not providing them. Mind you, I was not expecting a full ocean view which can only be obtained from a front ocean facing room. Just wanted the partial ocean view I booked and paid for.
The hotel staff could not help with this, as half the building are condo units, so there are fewer hotel rooms for them to go to if there is a problem with your accommodations. Moving higher up or closer to the front was not possible.
Last year I stayed at the Marenas Hotel a couple blocks from this one, on the same beach. Partial ocean view is what I booked and what I received there. The room had a wider and more usable balcony. The hotel lobby was much larger and very nice. The staff was very good there too. The Marenas Hotel lot is twice as wide, so partial ocean views are more possible there. So if you are after a partial ocean view… I cannot recommend the Sole’. Next time, I will be back at the Marenas.

• Stayed March 2013, traveled on business
Dear Valued Guest: Thank you for taking the time to write such a detailed review. The level of detail is tremendously helpful for us, and I am sure for other readers as well. The area is indeed very beautiful with easy access to many outdoor activities. The hotel is also within easy walking as well as driving distance to shopping and restaurants. We are very glad to hear that you enjoyed your stay and thank you for pointing out the discrepancy in the room you received as compared to your expectations. Kindly allow me to clarify. Sole on the Ocean has the exact same architecture and land size as the Marenas and the same type of next door neighbors. The large majority of our units are hotel rooms with only a handful retained for private use by owners. Our designation of partial ocean view room are those in which the ocean is easily visible, but slightly obstructed from within the room. If the ocean is easily visible from within the room, it is designated as a city view room. Similarly, the balconies are the exact same as the Marenas and vary by unit. That being said, we fully recognize that interpretations of this vary by guest and our team is happy to find an alternate room whenever possible. During the time of your stay, their ability to do so was limited by the full occupancy of the hotel. Sole on the Ocean is a boutique hotel and we pride ourselves on service. Toward this end, please contact me directly so that I may ensure your future stays are memorable one all around. We hope to welcome you again soon.
Orlando, Florida
5 of 5 stars Reviewed March 22, 2013

I was staying in Sole with all my family for 2 weeks. Its so nice. My kids like to play on the beach. Importunately weather was not so nice, but sunny time is so perfect!!!
they have so comfortable and soft beds!!! i felt so fresh !!!! you have also so good italian restourant we love pizza!!! if you want to have good vacation with nice prises Sole is for you for sure!!! People there so smiley and out going, all time try to help you!!! And thank you so much finaly you have russian girl Lili, she helped us a lot. We love her. We will back to Sole next time with Pleasure

• Stayed March 2013, traveled with family
Dear Valued Guest: we are so pleased to hear that you and your family had such a wonderful vacation all around. The location is beautiful and our in room amenities include pillowtop mattresses with luxury linens, keurig coffee machines and bottled water, to name a few. We are especially glad that you enjoyed our latest addition, Alba seaside Italian restaurant. Our entire team strives to provide the best in personalized customer service and we will be sure to share your review with our entire team and Lili will be especially pleased to have been singled out. We look forward to welcoming you back.
Philadelphia, Pennsylvania
5 of 5 stars Reviewed March 22, 2013

My friends and I stayed at Sole for 2 nights (Mar 15th-17th 2012). We had an amazing time. We got there at 1pm and our room wasn't ready, so we decided to have lunch upstairs at Alba restaurant. We were greeted and warmly welcomed at the door by Ralph Pagano (chef/owner?), and we got 5 star service. We had oysters and chicken wings for lunch...the food was amazing, and the view on the terrace was heavenly. Our room (on the 22nd floor, oceanview) was immaculate. The bellhop, Paul, was extremely nice and patient while helping us with our bags, and so was Lily at the front desk. I will be visiting Sole again soon enough. Thank you for an amazing time!!

Room Tip: Room 2203B has an amazing view. The food at Alba is delicious. Take advantage of the happy hour from...
  • Stayed March 2013, traveled with friends
SoleotoFOM, Front Office Manager at Sole on the Ocean, responded to this review, April 2, 2013
Dear Valued Guest: thank you for thing the time to write about your amazing stay. We will be sure to share your comments with the entire team. We look forward to welcoming you again and making your next stay equally lovely.
Also consider these accommodations in or near Sunny Isles Beach
Marenas Resort
Marenas Resort
#4 of 8 in Sunny Isles Beach
4.0 of 5 stars 955 reviews
Thunderbird Beach Resort Hotel Miami
Thunderbird Beach Resort Hotel M...
#8 of 8 in Sunny Isles Beach
Trump International Beach Resort
#3 of 8 in Sunny Isles Beach
4.0 of 5 stars 1,534 reviews
Newport Beachside Hotel and Resort
Newport Beachside Hotel and Reso...
#6 of 8 in Sunny Isles Beach
3.5 of 5 stars 2,514 reviews

Been to Sole on the Ocean? Share your experiences!