“Relaxed, minimalist chic” 4 of 5 stars

4.0 of 5 Hotel   |   17315 Collins Avenue, Sunny Isles Beach, FL 33160   |
Mystic, Connecticut
“Relaxed, minimalist chic”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed February 21, 2013

I had an all too brief stay at Sole on the Ocean October 23/24 2012 . The hotel is directly on the beach and tightly situated between hotels on either side (as is the case for most of the stretch of road the hotel is on). The sign out front is a little, shall we say, subtle and the entrance from the road rather narrow so I missed it twice.
Once I figured that out, parked and got inside I found that they were working on the main lobby and having difficulty with one of the elevators. At many places this could spell trouble but the staff was unfailingly pleasant, helpful, and upbeat, so it was never a real issue for me.
Since I arrived early and my room was not ready I was given two drink vouchers for the pool deck bar. I made my way to the ground level on the ocean side to the pool deck to wait for my room. I have to say, that was about the nicest two hours waiting for a room that I have ever spent. I had a nice fruity strong drink, the day was about 80 and breezy, the wifi reasonably quick, there were several very attractive ladies in equally attractive bikinis basking in the sun, several attractive couples, and more helpful staff. So I relaxed in one of the comfortable wicker couches catching up on some emails and being distracted by the views.
My room was on the 12th floor, city side. If I had made the reservation (instead of the travel office at work) I would have picked ocean side, but the views were still very good (a broad 180 degree view of North Miami area and the setting sun). My room was a very good size and more like a suite with a large bathroom, very big bedroom with sliders to a private balcony, spacious living area with a fridge and microwave. All of it, like the rest of the property, done in a stylish modernist decor. Minimalist with some dark wood and fabric - not just steel and glass. All in all the room was quite comfortable and much more room than I needed for myself. The room would be extremely comfortable and fun for a couple. The bath had both a walk in shower with rain shower head and a tub and everything would have easily accommodated two people of average size.
Since I had a few hours before the evening event I was there for I changed to a bathing suit and went down to the beach for a dip in the ocean. The pool deck is essentially directly on the sand and one only needs to walk right through the gate to the beach. As hurricane Sandy was starting to move up the coast the waves were very rough and the wind pretty strong but it had been too long since I had been for a swim (living in chilly CT) so I persevered. There were few people there and none swimming but I imagine on a calmer day it would have a lot of action. The hotel had a good number of chairs set out arranged in rows and staff was walking about checking on the few who were there. The beach is probably a delight on nicer days.
I had only one meal, breakfast the next morning, and it was delicious. The dining area for breakfast was bright and sunny, facing the ocean. I ordered a wonderful omelet from the chef at the station, selected a pastry from another long table of breads, cereals, coffee, juices and water and made myself comfortable at a table near the window to enjoy the waves stirred up by the off shore storm.
Altogether a delightful, brief stay. Given the opportunity I would absolutely stay here again.
One last note: I also appreciated the multi-cultural feel of the place (and Sunny Isles/Miami in general). I heard Spanish, French, and English spoken by guests and, with equal fluency, by the staff.

• Stayed October 2012, traveled on business
SoleotoFOM, Front Office Manager at Sole on the Ocean, responded to this review, March 16, 2013
Dear Valued Guest: we are glad you were able to fit some fun into your business stay. Thank you for taking the time to write such a detailed review. It is certainly very helpful for us, and I am sure for readers as well. Since your visit, we have redesigned our restaurant under the direction of our celebrity chef, Ralph Pagano. We look forward to welcoming you back to experience our new addition personally and all that you had enjoyed on your last visit.

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (168)
  • Polish first
Laurel, Maryland
4 of 5 stars Reviewed February 15, 2013

I had the pleasure of staying here for business/pleasure. The staff is very friendly and you feel right at home. The location is great and I was able to move around quickly. You can walk to many areas for brunch, coffee and even the pharmacy. The restaurant has a nice view of the beach and is very peaceful in the morning for breakfast.

• Stayed January 2013, traveled on business
SoleotoFOM, Front Office Manager at Sole on the Ocean, responded to this review, February 22, 2013
Dear Valued Guest, we are glad to hear that you were able to fit in a little enjoyment on your business trip and the amenities located in easy walking distance from the hotel. We hope that you will keep us in mind for future visits for both business and pleasure.
Washington DC, District of Columbia
4 of 5 stars Reviewed February 14, 2013

The hotel has changed since we last visited and we were surprised - a bit disappointed at first. But things recovered quickly; genuinely gracious and professional service from a professional and friendly staff and getting acquainted again with the property saved the day. The food and service were quite good. Stephanie at the front desk accommodated a room switch; Paul, the bellman, was quick with a smile and provided excellent restuarant recommendations and directions, and beach staff all were efficient, friendly and attentive. The smaller scale of this boutique property ensures avoiding crowds usually present at the larger properties. Overall, a very nice stay. We will be back.

Room Tip: The petite King is truly "petite". The one BR are much more comfortable.
  • Stayed January 2013, traveled as a couple
Dear Valued Guest, we are always happy to welcome returning guests back to Sole. We are equally happy to hear that your stay was so enjoyable. We will continue to strive to provide personalized service in our intimate setting for all future stays and look forward to your next visit.
Coral Springs, Florida
5 of 5 stars Reviewed February 13, 2013

We went to Sunny Isles for a girls weekend getaway and picked Sole which was referred by a friend. We had an amazing time the hotel is very nice and the service is outstanding. Everyone was very helpful, specially the bartender we got, Nancy, she really went the extra mile and made our afternoons at the pool much more fun. The referral did not let down the hotel is fabulous. Will definetly go back and would recomend it to others.

• Stayed February 2013, traveled with friends
Dear Valued Guest, it is wonderful to hear how much you enjoyed your girls weekend. We always enjoy welcoming our neighbors for beachside staycations. We hope you will visit us again soon for future getaways.
Valencia, Spagna
5 of 5 stars Reviewed February 12, 2013

Sunny Isles the best beaches in Miami. The hotel is quite far from the city, you have to take a taxi for 20 minutes $35-$50). But if you go there for have fun... is the best option! The staff is very funny and polite! Is not very cheap, but for Miami is ok. The rooms are very good and clean, everything grate!

• Stayed January 2013, traveled on business
SoleotoFOM, Front Office Manager at Sole on the Ocean, responded to this review, February 15, 2013
Dear Valued Guest: we agree whole heartedly, the beaches in Sunny Isles are quite beautiful. We are pleased to hear that you had a wonderful stay and we look forward to welcoming you back on your next visit.
Buenos Aires, Argentina
2 of 5 stars Reviewed February 11, 2013

I stayed here with a friend for two nights and when I was going to write a review, checked opinions in Tripadvisor. I can't think why would someone think this is a 5 star hotel or great place. Don't get me wrong, nothing bad happened but this hotel is the perfect example of a hip, trendy, fashion hotel that has nothing under its shell.
Carpets smell, the room showed lacked of maintenance, pillows...omg... Pillows in the room were the worst I have seen in a long time, like a brick! No wonder my neck hurt after the first few hours of sleep. And yes, they have an iphone alarm clock and speaker in the room.
Valer parking takes ages as the space is very limited and staff overrun.
Beach service irregular, but with great music.
The pool is ok, very small size though.
Avoid rooms with letters A or B as they are interleading and you will hear all conversations, or couples arguing as was our case.
This hotel reminded me of flying long haul economy class in American Airlines...

• Stayed February 2013
Dear Valued Guest: thank you for taking the time to share your experience at our hotel. We are truly sorry that your stay was not as you had expected. Rest assured, we have shared your comments with our housekeeping and security teams. In the future, please contact our guest service agents immediately with any requests you may have. They are always happy to work with guests to make their stay a memorable one. The comfort and safety of our guests is our top priority.
We do try to provide a chic beach experience for our guests in a personalized boutique setting. All elements of the room and hotel design were selected with guest comfort in mind, including pillowtop mattresses, luxury linens, rain head showers, and keurig coffee machines, to name a few. In addition to our housekeeping team, we also have a make ready team whose job is to fix any engineering issues prior to check in, as well as deep cleaning rooms as needed to keep rooms in first class condition for all guest stays.
Regarding the labeling of rooms, nearly all our rooms are classified as A or B as they indicate either a suite or a standard room category. Some of our rooms have connecting doors as it sounds yours may have. We sincerely apologize for the nuisance caused by the neighboring room. When made aware, our guest service agents work to correct the situation immediately.
Thank you again for your valuable feedback.
Montreal, Canada
5 of 5 stars Reviewed February 9, 2013

Amazing hotel and staff!!
We spend one week in february, and we had a wonderful time. The installations are new, the gym and the spa very good, the rooms very spacious and the pool and beach very clean.
We were surprise about the staff, very warm and proactif, in particular Paul the bellman, thank you Paul for all the information and nice service you gave us!
Also, at the beach, we had such a good service, we were happy to go everyday thanks to Gerardo, Yunior and Daniel who always had a good spot for us! The chairs were confortable and there was always a lot for everyone.
We were very impressed about the nice " gourmet restaurant Alba" located at the 2nd floor, the food is excellent, high quality service and prices very affordable for such a good menu. Everyone should try this hotel, we will definetely go back!!

Room Tip: The best room is in front of the beach, every morning we had the nice sound of the sea if we had the...
  • Stayed February 2013, traveled with friends

Been to Sole on the Ocean? Share your experiences!