“Terrible!!!!!!” 1 of 5 stars

4.0 of 5 Hotel   |   17315 Collins Avenue, Sunny Isles Beach, FL 33160   |
New York City, New York
“Terrible!!!!!!”
1 of 5 stars Reviewed November 7, 2012

Terrible!!!! Don't go here. It's not regular hotel. Room is so tiny,it's hardly 2 people fit it. No chairs, no desk, no safe box to keep your staff safe, no ice machine. I've never been in such place ever!!! On top of room charge, they charge you 25$ for valet parking for each night, 15$ for each night (resort fee) , what resort fee???? It's not resort! Ridiculous. and 15% some other fee. Go with name hotels like Hilton, Holiday Inn and ect.

• Stayed November 2012, traveled as a couple
SoleotoFOM, Front Office Manager at Sole on the Ocean, responded to this review, December 30, 2012
Dear Valued Guest, we are sorry to hear that your stay was not as you had expected. We want all guests to be happy and a key to making that happen is for guests to know what to expect prior to arrival. Toward this end and to assist with room selection, we have posted pictures on our website as well as on online hotel booking websites together with square footages and a listing of the amenities. We will be adding safes to the rooms shortly but do not offer ice machines on the floors due to the noise disturbance to other guests.
Similarly, we do not wish for guests to be surprised by charges and try to disclose them in as many places as possible including online hotel websites, our own website, the total for each of the charges in the confirmation letter, and the registration card upon check in. While the valet parking and resort fee are standard charges for beach front hotels in Miami, we want to be upfront about these fees with our guests.
Regarding our resort fee includes use of the steam room, sauna, beach club, gym, free wi-fi, bottled water upon check and business center, to name a few.
We thank you for taking the time to share your experience.

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (174)
  • Polish first
Boston, Massachusetts
1 of 5 stars Reviewed November 7, 2012

I can't stress enough how strongly I advise anyone against staying here. Don't be fooled by the pictures (the hotel is like a run-down condo building), or the positive postings (I swear people must have been compensated), this hotel is a scam. Just a few highlights from our trip:

- We stayed at this hotel because a friend was getting married in the area. She personally went to the hotel to drop off a welcome package, which mysteriously disappeared. No apology - not even the slightest attempt to look hard for the package.
- Our bathroom was "cleaned" yet we werent' left with any bath towels. We called the front desk and an hour later no one arrived, so my husband and I had to dry ourselves with hand towels.
- The room was TINY - literally just a bed in the center of the room with barely any space to walk around.
- Only 1 of the lights in the room worked. Again, we reported it and nothing.
- Hotel had only 1 working elevator...not fun when there are also residents in the building.

I don't even want to get into how dirty our room was, or into the fact that the hotel is just a really run-down, ugly Miami building. Please please save your money and go anywhere else!! You will regret staying here!!! I definitely did....

Room Tip: There is no such thing as a good anything in this hotel.
  • Stayed October 2012, traveled as a couple
Dear Valued Guest, we are truly sorry that your stay did not meet your expectations. What you experienced is not indicative of whom we are, nor the service commitment we aim to provide at Sole on the ocean. Rest assured, your review has been addressed with the various departments here. Please be sure to visit our website or affiliated sites when booking a room; as there are several options of rooms to choose from. All these sites include pictures of each room category together with a description of each room, and square footage of each room. What our guests say about their stay provides valuable feedback, as we continually strive to offer a better boutique guests experience. Additionally, I’m confident in knowing that not only was this an isolated event, but one which you will definitely not experience when you decide to return.
The was constructed in 2008 as a condo hotel. As such, the level of finish was as of a luxury condo apartment. However, we do not have long term residents in the building as this is not permitted by law. All elements of the hotel from furniture design to lighting to the amenities such as luxury linens, pillowtop mattresses and keurig coffee machines, and rain head showers, to name a few, were all designed to provide a beach chic experience.
We thank you for taking the time such a detailed review and for your valuable feedback.
Denver, Colorado, United States
5 of 5 stars Reviewed November 5, 2012

It was amazing! I especially appreciated Daniel and his team, Junior and Deigo for their excellent service and hospitality! They made me feel very special and made sure I had everything I needed to relax in the sun.

Room Tip: I enjoyed the ocean view. The shower was difficult to use b/c there was no place to put stuff.
  • Stayed September 2012, traveled on business
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 30, 2012

We stayed from Wednesday Oct 17 to Sunday the 21st and it was wonderful! This is a quiet time of the year it seems and the weather was a bit rainy but it was beautiful. We received an upgrade for our anniversary to a suite with an awesome unobstructed view of the ocean. They position the bed so you can just lie there and look out at the sea. The staff was welcoming, professional and friendly. Gerard the Concierge and Aleza at the desk, were absolute assets to the hotel. Our room was clean, the kitchen which we didn't use was functional and fully stocked with plates and glassware. The bathroom was huge! Beautifully done and the rain shower- shower head was luxurious! The food beach side was delicious, everything we ate was just wonderful and yes, you gotta try that hamburger! Shopping is close,Epicure across the street has an excellent Eggs Benedict! and cabs were easy to hail. You can be as busy as you want or just fall apart at the ocean chair. We will be back for sure! I look forward to the next time.

• Stayed October 2012, traveled as a couple
4 of 5 stars Reviewed October 30, 2012 via mobile

Had a little issue when booking. Originally told reservations i just wanted one night but she accidentally booked it for two. Called back and had them change it to just one night. When checking in, it obviously was never changed so they had canceled my reservation because they thought I no showed. But they fixed it very quickly. Such friendly people up front. Cesar was so helpful and so was the bellman, Paul. They were so eager to make our stay great. The pool was nice, bar and beach staff were very pleasant too. The upstairs where the restaurant is was under construction I suppose so it looked a little shabby when we walked through. The room was so nice and cozy and updated. Bed was super comfortable too. All in all a great stay and I can't wait to go back. Great hotel and location for a great price.

• Stayed October 2012
Washington DC
4 of 5 stars Reviewed October 25, 2012

I stayed over a long weekend at Sole on the Ocean. My initial impression was quite positive a new looking hotel, non chaotic lobby (unlike Newport Beachside hotel a few buildings over) and the Reception was very nice, especially welcoming. I asked them if I could get a room with a safe which is what I valued the most and they found me a two double bed room with a partial sea-view which was very nice (I originally had a king booked, so I think I got a slight upgrade, and did not really need such a large bed).

The room can be described as modern, clean, nice but not very functional for some. The room had two very comfortable beds and nice décor, however there was no wastepaper basket, the flat screen tv was on the small side, there was no dresser and few hangers, but it did have a safe! I guess going to the beach (especially if one chooses the nude beach a mile down the road) one does not pack too many clothes, so no dresser or few hangers is no big deal. It would also have been nice to have plugs near the bedside table and mini-fridge. Also all rooms should have a safe, this is especially important for a beachfront location where you want to leave your wallet in the room while you swim.

The bathroom was especially pretty and modern looking with good shower pressure. It had the only trash can in the room. The shower had a half glass wall and no door so it was easy to get the floor wet. Also, the shower did not have a shelf or anywhere other than the floor to put shampoos and soaps.

The hotel restaurant and bar were fantastic. The staff was super friendly and attentive. The drinks were amazing especially the hotel’s signature rum punch and the lemon drop martini’s which the barman took such care to make properly. The food was also very good; in particular the cheese burger was one of the best I have ever had it was really high quality and lean beef. Within an hour my stomach lets me know if the beef is sub-par and this time it was smiling.

Finally, the location is very good there is a very nice gourmet supermarket/cafe across the street and also a Walgreen as well as a McDonalds and Denny’s. The Pedestrian access to the hotel was little confusing.

In summary, I will definitely come back many times, as long as there prices remain competitive.

• Stayed October 2012, traveled solo
Arizona
4 of 5 stars Reviewed October 22, 2012

I'll start by saying that I'd stay here again, and only gave it four stars because it is a four star hotel, basically. However, some things were 5 star and some were 3 :) The good: The staff is really nice. I don't think ANYONE realizes how important this is - especially in a hotel where people from all over the world are staying. I only saw respectful and polite exchanges between staff and guests - including myself. I stayed in a suite which was sweet - good fridge and whole kitchen set up. It was tasteful but simple and just what one needed.I also think those Kurig coffee things are the only way to go anymore, and one free water bottle is good. I think for the $175 I paid (via expedia) on the beach in a suite is a good price. I also LOVED the shower and bathtub - good water temp and nice. This is big for me. Oh, and the SPA is great - I was actually able to shower and get dressed for my conference before I was able to check in because of the shower (i love those spa towels, btw). Finally, it is very close to shopping and good dining.
The bad: I think the management needs to have more front desk people on at night. This is a busy hotel and every night I was here saw one front desk person managing phones and guests - it is too much. I did see the bellman help but two people at the desk at a minimum, please! The wait time gets long. I also had some bugs in my kitchen scurrying across the counter...but they seem like normal bugs that buildings get although I DID wonder if they were termites (I have no idea what a termite looks like, lol) and it didn't freak me out. I do have to say, though, that I didn't leave any food on the counter (kinda yuck on that but I"m not too bothered by it...). Maybe management can answer that for us? I also had to call on my bedroom TV not working - they fixed it and then when I turned it off it didn't work the next night. I called again but it took so long for someone to come (ok, like 30 minutes which may or may not be long to YOU) that I got sleepy so called it off...ha! The guy who answered when I called to cancel was apologetic and nice, so I didn't feel bothered. Finally, I think the toilets must be low-flow or something (or do toilets flow different in Miami beach? :)) because it was hard to flush mine. I did ask them to fix it too and it seemed better when I got back to the room.

Room Tip: higher up you can see more of the ocean, but it is a trade off with having to wait for elevators tha...
  • Stayed October 2012, traveled on business

Been to Sole on the Ocean? Share your experiences!