“Good at its price” 4 of 5 stars
Review of Thunderbird Beach Resort Hotel Miami

You added Thunderbird Beach Resort Hotel Miami to your Saves list
Thunderbird Beach Resort Hotel Miami
2.0 of 5 Hotel   |   18401 Collins Avenue, Sunny Isles Beach, FL 33160 (Formerly Days Hotel Thunderbird Beach Resort Miami)   |
Manaus, AM
“Good at its price”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed October 31, 2013

Good hotel, near to the beach. Good rooms, the only thing is the small parking lot. You have to get there early or you will have trouble to park your car safely. The floor of the hotel is hard and had many travellers going in and out with their luggage. This made some noise but I'll definitely stay in this hotel again. Good staff and price.

• Stayed March 2013, traveled with friends
Maria R, Public Relations Manager at Thunderbird Beach Resort Hotel Miami, responded to this review, November 4, 2013
Dear Guest,
Thank you for staying with us and taking the time to write this review. We apologize about the small parking lot there is very limited parking in Miami. We look forward to welcoming you back for another stay. Thanks again!

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (84)
  • Turkish first
Seal Beach, California
4 of 5 stars Reviewed October 17, 2013

I am considering the cost and the great location!! Being right on the beach good walking distance to stores I was happy with it. The bed moves around on the tile floors, the ac controls didn't work, it is dated. I use my own soaps and where flip flops just in case, towels are cheap, coffee maker had to be moved in order to plug it in,,, but I think for the price and location It can't be beat! want more? pay more!!

I was only there 2 nights.

Room Tip: some face the beach and others the pool... mine faced the parking but was fine. even when we sat on...
  • Stayed October 2013, traveled solo
Brisbane, Australia
3 of 5 stars Reviewed September 13, 2013

I stayed at this hotel for a night with a friend before heading down to South Beach. For the price, the hotel was quite alright. The rooms and common areas were very dated, a tad musky, but clean. I was on the first floor on the northern most rooms. It had parking right outside the window, with people walking past quite frequently. The pool area was quite nice with a hot tub, and the rooms that look out onto this are the ones to go for. The location is great if you are just after a sunny isles beach hotel. It has quite a few places to eat across the road, as well as a supermarket, and the beach is literally just off the pool area. But be aware that it is about a 30-40 min bus ride to miami beach. Now the staff. The people at the front desk were quite pleasant and helpful, but almost every other staff member I encountered were just plain rude. Mainly an elderly man at the pool rental shack. Now a beach towel rental is included in the price. I decided to go for a swim before checkout and politely asked for a towel from a man sitting there. He asked for my room number, but before I could actually reply, another man stormed over saying that I was not allowed to have a towel because I was checking out that day, and actually made me feel stupid for asking. He ended up giving me and my friend a towel to share, but told us not to steal them and bring it back (I think you would have to pay me to take the 10 year old towel home.) Due to him, and attitude from other staff members, I don't think I would stay here again.

• Stayed September 2013, traveled with friends
Crawley, United Kingdom
3 of 5 stars Reviewed September 2, 2013

A real dated property, smells musty, run by ancient staff, mostly retired New Yorkers and Canadians. American guests can be trashy, smoke and loud. Cleaners all nice from Haiti.
Once you accept the age and condition, the pool and beach are great, the kitchen handy with a fridge and coffee maker. Watch for the $10 a day parking and $11 daily room rate for wifi, towels, pool chairs etc, naughty ! A budget hotel if a few sharing a room. Nice to see these originals still exist, dwarfed by gross high rise modern apartments.

Room Tip: the rooms down the right hand side are far better
  • Stayed September 2013, traveled with family
New Jersey
1 of 5 stars Reviewed August 28, 2013

We recently stayed at this hotel for 9 days. Both my parents, my husbands' parents and a sibling came along, and since we were 7 in total, we thought to give this hotel a shot for the excellent location and price. We like to enjoy the pool and the beach and would use the rooms just to sleep and take showers. I knew that this hotel was old and was not expecting anything fancy. However, this hotel was a complete mess. We would all leave the rooms early in the morning, and come back at around 4pm to take a shower and get ready for dinner. At 4pm, our rooms would still not be cleaned nor there would be clean towels available! at 4pm!!!! Whenever they did "clean" the room, the floors would be left uncleaned. You can just imagine how the bathroom and kitchen floor looked like. The beds were impossible to sleep on. The mattresses are old and have springs. The springs push back against your body and don't provide proper support. There is no way one can sleep well on them. In addition, the stoves were not working. When we mentioned it to the front desk they said that they would be fixing all the stoves the next day. We stayed there for 9 days and the stoves were still not working on our 9th day. Lastly, as if this is not enough, one night as we were all leaving to go to dinner, we took the elevator and the elevator stopped halfway between one floor and another-- with all of us inside! Because there were many of us inside, we started feeling as if there was not enough air to breathe. My mom and my husband's mom began to panic and I did not know what to do. As they were trying to get us out, the man outside yelled that there shouldn't be that many people in the elevator and that he couldn't get us out.( even though there is a sign in the elevator saying that the maximum capacity is 2000 lbs) I had to call 911. This was the worst experience ever. We were trapped for about 15 minutes.
As the days went on, we did not take the elevator again, but saw many other people get trapped as they adventured (unknowingly) into taking the elevator. I will NOT and would NOT recommend staying at this hotel. They are only interested in making money. They are not worried about maintaining the hotel or their guest's comfort. Yes, the price is tempting, but the headache you will have while at this hotel is not worth it!

• Stayed August 2013, traveled with family
Odessa, Florida
2 of 5 stars Reviewed August 26, 2013

This hotel is definitely a relic from the past that has not been kept-up well. The staff is very unfriendly and it can be hard to find someone that speaks english. The location of the hotel is nice. Parking is a mess. However, I only stayed for 1 night and I was with a friend so we simply wanted a place to sleep and something on the beach for cheap. This hotel gave that to us. Finally, do not use the stove in the room. Ours filled the room with gas and we had to wait outside for an hour so the room could air-out. When we mentioned it to staff, they told us "Carlos" would be there the following day to fix it. We were happy to make it through the night without blowing up :)

• Stayed July 2013, traveled with friends
Maryland
2 of 5 stars Reviewed August 14, 2013

So, I wasn't expecting anything fancy from this hotel. No one goes to the beach to sit in their room, so I really had low expectations. However, this place was a mess. The staff was AWFUL. I hated to ask a question, they were so rude. The one exception to this was Nelson, he was a gem. The staff at the little cafe was also pleasant and the food there is very reasonable.

This is hard to believe but they are doing construction on the building and WE WOKE UP AT 8AM ON SUNDAY MORNING TO THEM USING A JACK HAMMER ON THE SIDE OF THE BUILDING. Unbelievable, yet true. The lobby has a funky smell and the hot tub smelled awful...they actually refilled it while we were there and still closed it due to the smell. The room was not clean, there was a tub but it only functioned as a shower? The patio furniture was mismatched (one metal chair, one plastic). The bathroom door did not close all the way and even the patio door stayed cracked when it was closed. The hotel itself is also very loud.

The pool is nice, the beach is gorgeous. The tiki umbrellas are super nice, but the guy who rents them was very curt and woke me up 30 mins before 5, saying "WAKE UP! We close at 5, I need your chair. And what are you going to do with those towels? We need them by 5."

The location is great, the beach is beautiful, there's a Publix and a CVS across the street, along with a great restaurant called Preservation, which we went to several times - it was delicious.

• Stayed August 2013, traveled with friends

Been to Thunderbird Beach Resort Hotel Miami? Share your experiences!