“Beautiful Beaches” 3 of 5 stars
Review of Golden Strand Ocean Villa Resort

You added Golden Strand Ocean Villa Resort to your Saves list
Golden Strand Ocean Villa Resort
3.0 of 5 Hotel   |   17901 Collins Ave. Sunny Isles Beach, Sunny Isles Beach, FL 33160   |
South Miami, Florida
“Beautiful Beaches”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed July 19, 2014 via mobile

I've been coming to the resort for the past 20+ years my mom is an owner. Throughout the years there has been changes for the best and worse. It's a hotel you would need to get used too. It's a bit old as it's been brought out by Trump only 2-3 years left before being demolished We own in building 3 a 1 bedroom kitchen living and 2 bath. It's very comfortable and a great beach view from our room. The beaches are great one of the best for sunny isles. You need to have patients in obtaining an umbrella there are only 2 beach attendants that have been there for YEARS. I would usually head on to the beach at 9am as the week of 7/12-7-19 is very busy. Always picked the same beach chairs, would leave my towels and beach bags to secure the chairs. Tipping is always great they would remember you and set you up faster. It's very HOT in July thru October. The towel rerun is only in building 3 at the rear. I would always drop off and pick up towels in the am.

Stayed July 2014, traveled with family

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (39)
Middletown, New Jersey
2 of 5 stars Reviewed July 16, 2014

we arrived at this hotel on june 28th and stayed until july 5th, our first impression of this hotel is completely decrepit from the outside in.

My family and i entered the lobby eager and enthusiastic for our vacation but quickly realized we had to re-evaluate our expectations and start this vacation with an "it is what you make of it" attitude. the lobby it self wasn't spectacular but it definitely set the ambiance for the week.We waited in a lobby for over an hour for our room to be ready, along with several other dissatisfied guests with out a room. what we all didn't understand is why it was taking so long for rooms to be cleaned if check out is at 10 am and check in is at 4pm.

once we finally got into our room, we quickly understood that the coming week was going to be an obstacle, the room reeked, the kitchen was dirty and rusty, the bathroom was dirty and moldy (especially our shower) , the floor was dirty although freshly mopped, and the couches were stained and accompanied with crumbs. the worst part however was the gnats and flies. The toilet was clogged when got there and no one came to fix it for an hour. After walking around the tiled floor for a day we were horrified to realize our feet were stained COMPLETELY black, from all the dirt still on the floor after that strenuous and detailed cleaning job house keeping did from 10-3
My daughter slept on the extremely worn out pull out couch, we opened it up to find nothing but more crumbs and sheet-less mattress. we had no extra pillows or blankets stored in the closet so we had to find house keeping head quarters to request "sign out" more.

Pros:
-literally right on the beach! not a single complaint there it was gorgeous!
-in extremely close proximity to shops, restaurants and connivence stores (also Publix food store in walking distance)
-beach umbrellas and chair cushions are worth the 10$ a day fee, however the attendant prioritizes his service by who and who doesn't tip him, so tip him, or else hell go help everyone else who does tip before he helps you.
-since it was 4th of july weekend, all we had to do was sit right on the beach and look up and down the coast for fireworks it was pretty nice.

Cons:
Parking was horrible
-right off the A1A highway meaning a lot of traffic and traffic noise!!at all times of the day it is a VERY busy highway
-avoid rooms ending in a 1, (they are the first room on each floor, therefore they are right next to staircase entrance VERY loud)
-Hotel overall is OUTDATED and DIRTY. i genuinely mean this. i showered with my flip flops on and bought plastic utensils and dishes rather than using their supplied kitchen accessories
-only one pool, a big size however still over crowded with a very high uncomfortable temperature not refreshing at all
-staff was unwelcoming and inattentive to needs and requests

Important*** towards the end of our stay we were expressing our dissatisfaction to the staff at the lobby desk, they completely understood our complaints although not seeming apologetic. they however give us a reason for the horrific condition of the hotel, and that is because the property was bought out and will be knocked in 2017, therefore no one is putting anymore money into it. i i'm not not surprised though; considering this hotel sits unnaturally right in between two beautfiul high rises

Room Tip: Do not take a room ending with a 1 (like 2201) they are right next too the stair case leading up and...
  • Stayed July 2014, traveled with family
Bertrand S, Manager at Golden Strand Ocean Villa Resort, responded to this review, July 18, 2014
Dear guests,
Thank you for choosing the Golden Strand Resort.
I am sorry to read you had a bad experience with your unit. The first week of July is always very busy for us. However, there is no excuse for the issues you encountered and I would like to apologize.
I hope you give us another chance in the future. I will be happy to personally assist you with your reservation should you decide to give us another chance.
Best regards,
Pittsburgh
1 of 5 stars Reviewed June 28, 2014

So after 18 hours of driving to enjoy a beautiful, sunny Florida 4th of July vacation, we pulled into the Golden Strand. Our first impression of the property was older but still kept up. Then the house of horrors began.
When still on the road we called ahead to let them know that we would arrive early. We were pleasantly told no problem to come and relax at the pool they would get us into our place quickly.
Once at the front desk the girl was surly, disrespectful and plain rude! To add to the pain check out is at 10 am and we were there at 930. Usually when this happens management is quick to ensure guests are taken care of and in the room as quickly as possible... not here!!!!
We were summarily dismissed told that guests were already in our room and moving to a new one, then cleaning would finish when they get to it!
So after an exhausting drive, ready to drop into a bed we were forced into the pool area to find some shade and try to get some rest in 86 degree heat.
We continued to regularly check in to find out the status of the room with clear annoyance emanating from the front desk. Then to add insult to injury we met the couple who were in our room and they had moved out at 10 am so the front desk staff from the initial check in girl, front end manager, and office manager were just going to make us wait! So I finally found a cleaning lady paid her a nice tip she cleaned our room and a couple minutes later viola we had our room keys.
Well here I sit typing this review because the room itself is old and out dated. Like Miami Vice threw up after a three day binger and didn't clean up, then never cleaned up so its been festering ever since. Also the room is in disrepair. Not only dated but dingy with all the nicks, dings, faded glamor this place once had. The only and I mean ONLY redeeming quality is the view and direct access to the beach. Still all put together run screaming either direction to one of the nicer resorts on the beach where it may cost more but it's worth the cost! Trust me well worth it!

Stayed June 2014, traveled with family
Bertrand S, General Manager at Golden Strand Ocean Villa Resort, responded to this review, July 2, 2014
Dear guest,
Thank you for choosing the Golden Strand Resort.
I must say I am a little puzzled by your comments. Our check in time is at 4:00 pm. I can assure you that we did all we could to get your unit ready on time and you got it. As you mentioned, it was occupied by a guest that was moving to another unit and therefore could not be ready earlier than 3:30 pm, which is the time you received the unit. The Front Desk offered you another unit that was ready, but your wife refused quite vehemently. The Front Desk personnel did all they could to accommodate you. I personally apologized to you when you came to see me in my office and I waived all the fees. I am sorry to see that this is still not sufficient. I hope you won't let this ruin your vacation. Our studios may not be luxurious but they are comfortable and offer the amenities of a home. The weather is clearing up and the sun is coming back, enjoy! We have a gorgeous beach and we are close to so many nice attractions! I remain at your service if you would like to talk to me. Best regards.
New York City, New York
3 of 5 stars Reviewed June 16, 2014

Golden strand is a bit odd since it is a time-share hotel, so you get some of the amenities of a hotel (front desk, fresh towels) but not others (desk is only open 7am-11pm, you have to trade your towels in, no toiletries in the bath). It is, however, excellently located, convenient to shopping, beach, a grocery store, and oh right, the beautiful beach.

The rooms are fairly basic and very out of date. The furnishings are fine, but not nearly as nice as the lobby would suggest. The best part of the resort is the pool and beach access, both of which are in great condition. The small size of the resort means that it is possible to get a great spot at the beach, with included umbrella and chairs. The guy who puts up your umbrella and chair mat is pretty surly, tipping makes a big difference.

The biggest complaint we had about the resort is that because it's a timeshare if there is an issue with your room they can't necessarily address it except by trying to fix it (e.g. weird smell, bad a/c, broken appliance/toilet/shower) as the other rooms, even if unoccupied, might be "owned" by someone for that period. Not to mention that if the desk is closed, you are out of luck. This is fine when everything works well, but if anything goes wrong, between the limited desk hours, and few options, it can be pretty terrible.

• Stayed May 2014, traveled as a couple
2 of 5 stars Reviewed June 8, 2014

We are staying at the Golden Strand Ocean Villa Resort for a week. We just checked in today and our villa smells horrible. At first we thought it was a gas leak or something, but as we've been here this evening we believe it is either a really strong solvent/cleaner, bug spray, exhaust of some kind or possibly a urinal cake that's been tossed into the air handler of the AC unit. It is bad. We approached the front desk who sent a maintenance person to our room who stated he did not smell anything - my jaw dropped. It is definitely more noticeable in the main living/dining room as opposed to either bedroom, but it is noticeable everywhere. We left to go get some groceries and came back and were hit in the face immediately with how strong the smell is.

I have to add that our villa appears spotless and very well maintained otherwise. The property is older, but is really quaint and has excellent access to the beach. You can tell this is a prime spot as high rises are going up (or have already gone up) on either side. If we can get the intense odor situation handled, I can imagine visiting again as we have an affinity for non-McResort type options. You don't have to ride an elevator 70 floors and walk through an expansive lobby to get to the beach ... very cool.

Also, this spot is walking distance to grocery stores and what appear to be some decent mid-range dining establishments (Tony Roma's is across the street).

Regards,
Sadly Stink Bombed

Stayed June 2014, traveled with family
Nashville, Tennessee
5 of 5 stars Reviewed May 27, 2014

What a wonderful surprise! After attending our daughter's graduation from University of Miami, we chose to extend our stay in the Miami area. We own RCI Timesharing and switched out our property for 2 rooms, one was a 2 bedroom unit and one was a studio. The 2 bedroom unit was so spacious, with 2 and half bathrooms, a full kitchen and 2 balconies. The studio was spacious too. The property is very well maintained with pretty gardens, ample parking, a beautiful pool and even more beautiful beach (with life guards). The staff were amazing and this property is a little gem. The furniture is not modern, but everything is very clean and comfortable. The Italian restaurant on site was delicious and we ate there twice. There are loads of shops, restaurants and grocery stores close by and it was about a 20 minute drive to South Beach. We would love to go there again!!

• Stayed May 2014, traveled with family
Bertrand S, Manager at Golden Strand Ocean Villa Resort, responded to this review, May 29, 2014
Dear Guest,
Thank you for writing such a nice review. I am delighted you enjoyed your stay and I hope you can come back soon!
Take care!
Bertrand Saysset
Munich, Germany
3 of 5 stars Reviewed March 7, 2014

Let me start with the positives: the location is good because you can easily walk to a few restaurants and to Publix (of course if you have a car it is even better, but it is not strictly necessary to have now, we did not and we did not miss one!).
The beach is gorgeous.
The pool is big.
There is a spa you can use for free (with jacuzzi, sauna and steam room).
There is a library with a huge amount of books in several languages.
The apartments are quite spacious, and the kitchen has everything you might need during your holiday (from toaster to microwave to mixer)

But there are a few buts...

Yes, the apartments ARE dated and the sofabed is rock-hard (the mattress is worn out!).
There is a gym but it is really small for a resort of this size!
In the library there is a computer room (nice touch!) but with only 2 computers (again... too few for such a resort) and you are not told from the beginning that you can only use it for 15 minutes.
The spa is really good (we used it a lot when it was raining) but it closes at 6 pm.... if it closed at 8 pm we would have used it more often.... at 5 pm we still on the beach.

And a note for the Europeans - you HAVE to tip the guy who brings you the mattresses and umbrella for your loungers, it is REALLY expected. I have been to many resorts before, and I have never seen one where you have to go to the beach guys to ask for your mattresses/umbrella and on 2 occasions they told me I would have to wait 10 or 15 minutes, because they were eating their breakfast!!!!!!!!!!
I then realized that all other guests were tipping them and they got a better service ... and of course, when in Rome do as the Romans do.... and I got my mattresses/umbrella much quicker!

And a VERY irritating thing is that one of our room key (which was actually a card) kept on getting dis-activated. In average we had to ask for a new card twice or three times a day .... and NO, we did NOT keep it with our mobiles (we did not even take our mobiles to the beach!) or with anything else that would disactivate it!
Very irritating when you go home after having being at the beach, with wet hair and clothes and then you have to go back to reception to get a new one.

Apartments facing the main road are noisy, especially because windows do not have double glazing.

Our building (Building 4, if I remember correctly) had a washing machine on even floors... but none of them worked! One was blocked and the other one could not get started. So we had to go to the next building to use the washing machine..... a bit irritating.

For me this is not a resort, this is an apartment hotel with pool, beach and spa.
A resort is something different.

Nevertheless, you can have a nice time there, if you know what to expect.

But be aware of the "house rules": if you move furniture around and do not put it back before check out, they charge you lots of money!!!!

Room Tip: Ask for a room NOT facing Collins Avenue (since they are very noisy) and on a high floor.
  • Stayed December 2013, traveled with family

Been to Golden Strand Ocean Villa Resort? Share your experiences!