“Well situated hotel for Everglades” 4 of 5 stars
Review of Motel 6 Cutler Bay #2017

Save Saved
You added Motel 6 Cutler Bay #2017 to your Saves list
Motel 6 Cutler Bay #2017
2.0 of 5 Motel   |   10775 Caribbean Blvd, Cutler Ridge, FL 33189 (Formerly Howard Johnson)   |
Ranked #2 of 2 hotels in Cutler Ridge
Belgium
“Well situated hotel for Everglades”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed December 19, 2011

This is a Motel and should not be compared to high range hotels of course. Motel type with outside corridors on balcony. We stayed 2 nights. Note there a no breakfast possibilities in the morning.

Positive:
- honnest pricing
- friendly people at reception
- rooms are clean and a empty fridge is avaible for food or drinks you bring with you. Also small microwave available
- well situated near turnpike to get quicky to the main entrance of Everglades park. Even to the north. Also restaurants and shopping malls very close.
- swimming pool
- prvt airco, good beds, clean bath area
- free coffee in the morning in the reception hall

Neutral remark:
- central pc wud be usefull for those who do not have own laptop with them

Negative:
- with exception to the the reception hall, the public corridors elevators could be cleaner and better maintained.
- Belonging to Accor group... but your A Club card will not receive any points.

Conclusion:
Honnest price quality and wud recommend it for short practical stays.

• Stayed December 2011, traveled as a couple

81 people have reviewed this hotel

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (24)
Miami, Florida
4 of 5 stars Reviewed November 30, 2011

I book this hotel every time my friend comes to visit. Last time it was only $45/night. It is extremely affordable, very clean & is walking distance to the mall with many restaurants close by. It is literally seconds from the Turnpike. It is motel style with outside corridors. The rooms do not have central a/c so the sound of the air running takes a little getting use to but with all the other positives of this hotel, it is no big deal. I highly recommend this hotel. It is a GREAT value!

Room Tip: I always ask for a high floor.
  • Stayed November 2011, traveled solo
Amsterdam
4 of 5 stars Reviewed August 28, 2011

We stayed for just 1 night and it was good. We would go there again. Good price, clean room, good beds, good shower. A bit noise but its near the highway.

Good place to stay.

• Stayed August 2011, traveled with friends
Carrickfergus uK
4 of 5 stars Reviewed July 26, 2011

We needed a cheap Hotel as we were on our way to Key West and this seemed perfect. it literally is just seconds from the Turnpike and was all we expected. Typical Motel Style outside corridors and no central air which does cause me to never get the best nights sleep with the noise but it was a good property for the money we paid.

The rooms are clean and well appointed.....yes it may be in need of updating but we have no complaints at all and we would stay here again and would recommend it to others too.

The wireless internet is $3 per night. usually cheaper hotels offer this free and it is only the expensive hotels charge from my experience but the signal was strong and it worked fast so was worth the extra.

One minor complaint. Loads of towels and soap but no shampoo....I washed my hair with a bar or soap (have not had to do that in a long time!). Shower was great though and bathroom although old was spotlessly clean.

If you are thinking of staying here please do! It was well worth $49 per night we paid.

• Stayed July 2011, traveled with family
Kutztown
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 21, 2011

We stayed here on our way to Key West and then back again before heading north. The rooms are very clean, and they give you plenty of towels and wash cloths. The staff is friendly and helpful, and there is security on site at night. I can't think of a single negative thing to say about this Motel 6. The wifi is excellent, but you do have to pay $2.99 a day for it. It is worth it because of the strength of the signal. There are hair dryers in the rooms, but there are no refrigerators. There are plenty of snacks and drinks in the lobby. It is a budget motel, and I don't expect refrigerators. My concern is cleanliness, and this place is very cleean.

• Stayed July 2011, traveled as a couple
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 13, 2011

Due to a sudden death in the family, I needed a basic hotel, that would not break the bank (as i was planning for upcoming trip), that was child friendly, perhaps had a pool, dog friendly, short drive to home.

This motel not only met, but exceeded my expectations! Thank you to all the previous reviewers of this hotel. Without those reviews- I probably would overlooked this as " Uggh a motel 6, No thanks, I've got kids and standards"... But who knew?! What a hidden deal the motel 6 chain is.

My airconditioned room, with the option of fridge and microwave, top floor, overlooking the mall that was WITHIN walking distance, pool, allowed my dog to stay without extra fees was less than $48 a night. I spent less than $250 for a week stay! Thank you for your existance motel 6!

I grew up around the south florida area, but havent been back for some time. This area was once called Cutler Ridge, and the motel 6 is literally across the street from the former Cutler Ridge mall. After Hurricane Andrew- the entire south florida area went through some revitalization- palm trees were planted everywhere, they renovated this mall- kinda of Florida-ized for the tourists. I think the changes are all comical but hey, that is what tourists come to florida for I guess. Any how- it seems as if they are trying to call cutler ridge -culter bay now. Perhaps to distance itself from Cutler Ridge's previous loose association with a high crime area. Either way although there is some government housing nearby ( not visible or within walking distance) - I dont consider this a particularly high crime area.

I felt comfortable walking my dog at night on the hotel grounds, with my infant and toddler in tow. They do have 24hr security guard that walks the grounds and attends the front lobby -in addition to the staff. Just in case you need to 'see a prescence" in order to feel safe. Never saw anything sterotypicaly thought to be at a Motel 6 ( no "obvious" prostitutes or drug users etc). Just lots friendly everyday folks -that seemed to be on their way to the Florida keys with small boats/trucks/motorcycles in tow, traveling lightly for business etc.

The room , bathroom was clean. No bed bugs - yes I did check. Yeah the carpets are a little worn - could use replacing. No they dont provide all the bells and whistles of say a ....marriott, etc.... but need I remind you the rate was LESS THAN $50 A DAY! And I brought my dog! At NO EXTRA COST! For goodness sakes- I could walk across the street to the mall and buy fancy stuff to stock my bathroom with and still come out cheaper in the end compared to some 'traditional hotel stays'. Lol!

Now for some full disclosure. We arrived by personal vehicle, very late at night~4 am?. Pulled right up front and was able to walk in and get checked in without a problem.( My reservations were made on the web). I arrived unexpectedly earlier than checkin - almost 8 hrs earlier in fact. But the friendly gentleman checked me in to an available room without a problem -now this was not the room I reserved, because it was understandably not ready yet. Meaning it did not have a fridge, microwave as requested . But I was weary with kids and dog in the car and did not care.

Turns out we liked this room so much ( 5th floor overlooking the mall) and realized that we had no use for a microwave and fridge ( Ended up eating all of our meals at family's house close by). We just chose not to move later that day as was offered to us at check in. Keep in mind the cost of a room with fridge and micrwave was the same as one without.

We also ended up not using the pool at all, just because we were so busy with other things revolving around the funeral.. We did walk by it, let my toddler dip her feet in and it appeared clean and well maintained, plenty big enough to tire out the kids. It was nice to know it was there as an option. I did see some guests ( family with young kids) in there during our stay that appeared to be having a good time.

Lastly some minor notes that did not affect our stay, but may affect others: They were having some work done on the plumbing. At least two days they called the room around 9am to advise that the water would be shut off and not available during certain hours (i.e. 4-7 and 12- 3). I cant remember the exact times however they were always during the day. This did not pose a problem for us as we were gone most of the day, every day. The water was always on, functional, appropriate temperature when we needed it. I did overhear one guest complaining about it as they had been working on it through out her week stay and she wanted to take a shower when she wanted to.

If I am not mistaken- You must request for your room to be cleaned/towels to be changed. We were overlooked the first day - But this could be because this was not the original room we were supposed to be staying in anyway- so maybe it was not on housekeeping radar. What ever the cause, the problem was quickly addressed from that day after.

Also although all pets can stay at no extra charge - Even saw someone with their great dane here), Did not see that they provided any potty bags for use on the grounds. I always see a " well stocked pottybag-stand" as a true sign of dog friendliness. Once again not a problem for us -as we always bring our own anyway- I think most responsible dog owners do - but just making notes for others. Btw - You could not tell they didn't provide any ....as there was no poop to be seen anywhere. Perhaps attentive landscapers- or just responsible guests....

I must agree with previous reviewer who commented that this is the nicest motel6 I have ever seen. Landscaping, water features- give it a some what tropical feel -all be it slightly campy. But my parents told me the niceness is likely because this is an old howard-johnson that was turned into the motel 6. Whatever the reason - a wonderful place that is easy on the budget. The negatives I mention above are done so hesitantly as I wouldn't want them to do anything to drive up the price. :)

Thank you tripadvisor! -would have never even thought or considered to stay in this place had it not been for the reviews I read here. Keep up the good work. Will carefully consider the motel6 chain in the future.

THB

Room Tip: Request one facing the mall, the other option is a very busy highway
  • Stayed June 2011, traveled with family
Satellite Beach, florida USA
4 of 5 stars Reviewed May 13, 2011

We got an AARP rate of $50.00 a night-we stayed in room #415 for 2 nights-May 10 and May 11- We have stayed here before-this is our second time-Our room needed a more thorough vacuuming job-other than that, no complaints at all. Toilet paper is too thin and soaps are too small-so what? Bring your own like we always do, and then you will feel like you are in a 3 star hotel! Balcony room views are lovely-sunsts/sunrises/Poinciana Trees in bloom in May-back elevator is still creepy-needs paint/cameras/lights-our room was fine-AC was great! We slept like babies-beds so comfortabe/fridge/micro worked-so, there is some good/bad stuff-mostly all good for a great price! We love it here and the front desk staff is GREAT! So friendly!The T.J. Maxx at the Mall across the street is SUPERB! And there's a Ross, too! Take note, all MAXXANISTAS!

• Stayed May 2011, traveled on business

Been to Motel 6 Cutler Bay #2017? Share your experiences!